Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

• 08-11-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

What are your unpopular GAA opinions? Can be about anything players, teams etc

One of mine is i'v never understood the hype around Peter Canavan. He was good but i never thought he was anything else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not sure how unpopular this is or whether it even belongs in this thread but here goes.

As I Mayo fans I no longer am disappointed when they lose All Ireland finals.

For the last 6 years they have supplied so much entertainment that the final result no longer matters so much.

2017 really taught me that.

Sure if they win I'll lose my mind, but for now I am grateful to be living and enjoying this era of Mayo football.

Oh yeah and on a side note, I'm not sure what is more overrated, hurling or Ulster football.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kerry Kerry something something Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

All my GAA opinions are unpopular as they are expressed by a Dub and as such considered by many to be instantly wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Dublin 'GAA fans' and the cheerleaders in the Dublin media refuse to accept that they have any advantage over everyone else and any hint of a different opinion means only one thing - you are a Bitter Bleedin Culchie'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

David Clarke will always mess up a kickout in a crucial game.

Cillian O'Connor will nail a free to equalise but miss a free to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

TrueGael wrote: »
    Dublin 'GAA fans' and the cheerleaders in the Dublin media refuse to accept that they have any advantage over everyone else and any hint of a different opinion means only one thing - you are a Bitter Bleedin Culchie'

Oh, we have no problem at all admitting that our devestating good looks, urbane wit, winning charm, stunning intelligence and limitless coddle recipies, give us a massive advantage over everyone else. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This thread isn't going to last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's fantastic to see Mayo lose year after year. Their fans full of hope all summer and heartbreak every August/September. The picture of Lee Keegan crying his eyes out after this year's final was a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

The football league is the best competition the gaa have. They should scrap the championship and make the league home and away.

Have the provincials midweek.

dobman88 wrote: »
    It's fantastic to see Mayo lose year after year. Their fans full of hope all summer and heartbreak every August/September. The picture of Lee Keegan crying his eyes out after this year's final was a sight to behold

Must resist the urge......:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

1. I don't rate Lee Keegan as highly as everyone else.

2. I hate the clapping at predetermined times during matches. Contrived and more about showing the world you're socially concious than commemorating or making a point. (i mightn't be alone on this one)

3. Mayo are a brilliant side that in any other era would have won multiple All Irelands.

4. Acting like a scumbag is not part of the game.

5. There's no such thing as the Dublin media and most GAA media sources are blatantly anti Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The clapping bit is getting a bit tiresome now. Tribute to Monty a few years ago was nice as he used travel the country to follow the footballers. Cant even recall what the last one was for.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    2. I hate the clapping at predetermined times during matches. Contrived and more about showing the world you're socially concious than commemorating or making a point. (i mightn't be alone on this one)

I think in all fairness you can remove this one, the vast majority here agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

blanch152 wrote: »
    David Clarke will always mess up a kickout in a crucial game.

Cillian O'Connor will nail a free to equalise but miss a free to win.

Cillian is guilty of both offences.

Slattsy wrote: »

I dunno. It has potential. It's always good to see sacred cows getting knocked off their pedestals & herd mentality, lazy cliches being challenged.

But yeah....if it turns into yet another thread about structures, or Dublin resources, or dem durty Nordies, or whatever Dubs and Mayo folk are squabbling about on any given day (because God knows, it's always feckin' SOMETHING, :D ) or black cards, or Joe Brolly's latest rant....then yeah, that'll get old in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

cms88 wrote: »
    What are your unpopular GAA opinions? Can be about anything players, teams etc

One of mine is i'v never understood the hype around Peter Canavan. He was good but i never thought he was anything else

Michael Dara McAuley is not a great footballer and shouldn’t be on Dublin Panel.

As for him winning Footballer of the Year??? My God...

Michael Dara McAuley is not a great footballer and shouldn’t be on Dublin Panel.

As for him winning Footballer of the Year??? My God...

He ain't the prettiest to watch in full flight & you aren't going to find many Dubs willing to argue that he is a match for Colm Cooper in the silky skills department. His best days are probably behind him too. However, he played a massive role in all 3 of the points that Cormac Costello scored off the bench in last years All Ireland final. He won the balls, made the runs and created the space that the very physically slight Costello could not do on his own. Whatever you think about watching him play, we wouldn't have won the 2016 All Ireland without McAuley & that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Structures.

The world and their mother all have their own structure. People post their own idea here on a regular enough basis. Every year we hear the same ****. Champions league format, keep the league, scrap the league, keep the provinces, re arrange the provinces, I like Joe brollys structure, I like the Jim mcguinness structure, **** OFF WITH YOUR STRUCTURES!!!

And also this old chestnut:
    "This structure does nothing for the weaker counties"

I think the super 8 system is good because we will see more games at the business end of the championship, they will also be spread around the country. How somebody thinks that messing around with a structure will prevent the bad teams going out first, and the middle teams lasting a bit longer and the top teams playing in the semI finals/ finals is beyond me. If carlow want to get to an AI final they better start working hard because no structure can or should give them an easier route than anybody else

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If we'd lost this year serious questions would be asked as to why he didn't come on.
    He won the final off the bench last year feeding Costello for three points, he carried the ball up to him and gave an easy offload.

He is very very effective for Dublin, I agree he's not the most graceful, but he's the only player Dublin have with the juice for the Mayo and Kerry midfielders. He might not be as valuable to other county teams.

He's style is certainly unorthodox, but effective

https://youtu.be/8HUGMBu-rTI

Edit missed the post above with the same point in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I can't stand mayo or mayo fans and i hope they never win the all Ireland. Now don't get me wrong, I've loads of friends from mayo, nicest people ever, but something happens to them when they get together and become collectively 'Mayo' that annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a disrespectful disgrace that Kilkenny don't field a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

People who call supporters fans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slattsy wrote: »

Ah let's wait and see Slatts, I'd like to think I'll get a few cards and a ban or 2 out of it, my numbers are brutal this year :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

People who call supporters fans

Anyone who asked for autograph or asked for a selfie has crossed the border from supporter and entered the realm of fandom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm going to say something that is sacrilege in GAA - Football is a better all round game than hurling.

For some reason in the GAA it's almost accepted that football is the ugly duckling of the family and you can't say a bad word about hurling.
    You'd rarely hear pundits say a game of hurling is bad, while even the best game of football will be micro-analysed in a demeaning way. As for the championships themselves, when there are so few top hurling teams of course the hurling championship will appear to be better than a 33 county football championship where at least a third of the teams can't compete.

Hurling of course is a skillful game, but is it so much more skillful than football than many would like you to believe - I'm not so sure. I'd argue once you are have the basics of both that football is harder to play. It's undeniably harder to score in football - even as a Mayo man I would be more accurate with a hurl than a football. Tactics also play a more important role in football and it's one of the most fascinating parts of the game.

I enjoy hurling but nothing riles me as much as a hurling snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Scrap the Provincial and All Ireland Club Series. There are already way too many matches on the calendar, leave it at County Championships only

The only thing stopping Dublin winning the next 5+ All Irelands is themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Another of mine is this. The championship shouldn't be changed around to suit ''weaker counties''. IMO they had their change to improve themselves with the Tommy Murphy Cup and didn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

This Dublin side is an exceptional, once in a generation bunch who win based on ability and skill.

Advertisement