Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halligan to visit grumpy Kim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I hope he stays there for all the good he does here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Come to think of it....Isn't Haligan ex workers party? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

He can travel on his own account if he wants, but this would have to be one of the most stupid wastes of public money if he goes as a Parliamentary visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

****ing embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

He's making a right laughing stock of himself, he has to be pitied at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

The Only Good Thing That will come out of this, will be the brilliant storylines from Waterford Whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

The man is an embarrassment....and for a long time now. Waterfords version of Healy Rae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Workers party had links with the North Koreans, possibly why Halligan stepped in being ex-worker party himself. Perhaps one of the most bizarre suggestions to ever come out of the state.

Workers party had links with the North Koreans, possibly why Halligan stepped in being ex-worker party himself. Perhaps one of the most bizarre suggestions to ever come out of the state.

Maybe he knows a way to turn all those fake Dollars into actual money! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

And Shane Ross is going as well, more important for Shane to talk to Kim than to the transport unions

p.s. I don't think Ross is ex-Workers Party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wailin wrote: »
    The man is an embarrassment....and for a long time now. Waterfords version of Healy Rae.
    That's a bit harsh, aside from believing in aliens (don't we all?) what has he said that's anything like the fairy believing, climate change denying healy rays?
    He's fought hard for the region and used strong words indeed but that was over the very serious matter of the hospital which, was and is, costing lives.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Deiseen wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, aside from believing in aliens (don't we all?) what has he said that's anything like the fairy believing, climate change denying healy rays?
    He's fought hard for the region and used strong words indeed but that was over the very serious matter of the hospital which, was and is, costing lives.

Yeah I'd tend to agree, he is no where near on the same low level as Healy-Rae's. Though the whole idea of traveling to North Korea is idiotic as hell and I hope to hell such a silly trip is not approved as it would be a utter waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Comical Halli !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

you would think Halligan has enough on his plate representing the people of waterford without publicity stunts like this.

Heading over to NK with his 2 best buddies.

Is he a headbanger or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Is this the chain smoking anti-vaxer fella who wants to run the Dept of health?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I hope to hell such a silly trip is not approved as it would be a utter waste of money.

They say they'll pay out of their own pockets - ie ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's not gonna happen folks, mellow out and enjoy your weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Yeah but that's irrelevant - the fact that these lads want to go there and medal rather than excersise the parish pump politics they were elected for is the astounding thing. Lord Ross is getting his Garda station back and has no interest in actually solving any transport issues - has halligan deliver the hospital amendment yet that he threaten to pull his support over?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Could there be a Nobel Peace Prize in it?
    Though it's not polite to speculate on another persons ambitions, but O' Bama won it for less.

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Could there be a Nobel Peace Prize in it?
    Though it's not polite to speculate on another persons ambitions, but O' Bama won it for less.

must be an orwellian award!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

If anybody listened to halligan on the radio, he was on about cultural exchanges and the likes, he or no one thinks he's gonna walk into a meeting with Kim and persuade him to abandon his nukes.I do believe things like cultural exchanges are a good place to start if you are trying to bridge a gap so let's not all dismiss it like the tabloid media who like to portray halligan as a nutter.
    They did similar exchanges up north..catholic kid stays with protestant family and visa versa, it was big success, I'm not saying it caused the peace process but one thing never does solve big problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Max Powers wrote: »
    If anybody listened to halligan on the radio, he was on about cultural exchanges and the likes, he or no one thinks he's gonna walk into a meeting with Kim and persuade him to abandon his nukes.I do believe things like cultural exchanges are a good place to start if you are trying to bridge a gap so let's not all dismiss it like the tabloid media who like to portray halligan as a nutter.
    They did similar exchanges up north..catholic kid stays with protestant family and visa versa, it was big success, I'm not saying it caused the peace process but one thing never does solve big problems.

If that means John goes to stay with Kim for a few years then I'm all for it .:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »

They did similar exchanges up the north of Ireland but North Korea is NOTHING like Northern Ireland ever was. So in anyway trying to compare them is rather silly.

North Korea is basically like somebody read the book 1984 and decided to style the entire country on it, you will be murdered for being disrespectful to a picture of their dear leader. The government cares little about murdering or sending entire family's to camps in retribution for a family member illegally leaving the country.

If anybody visits from NK they'll be approved vetted government shills, nothing more, they won't be the avg Joe by any stretch of the imagination.

It won't be a cultural exchange, it'll be a channel for the NK government to channel their message about their great leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cabaal wrote: »
    They did similar exchanges up the north of Ireland but North Korea is NOTHING like Northern Ireland ever was. So in anyway trying to compare them is rather silly.

North Korea is basically like somebody read the book 1984 and decided to style the entire country on it, you will be murdered for being disrespectful to a picture of their dear leader. The government cares little about murdering or sending entire family's to camps in retribution for a family member illegally leaving the country.

If anybody visits from NK they'll be approved vetted government shills, nothing more, they won't be the avg Joe by any stretch of the imagination.

It won't be a cultural exchange, it'll be a channel for the NK government to channel their message about their great leader.

All fair enough cabaal, agree its different to NI but the example i gave about NI is just an example , different ideas required for NK, but anything that opens up communication has potential to be positive in some tiny way, little acorns...as the saying goes, can't recall it.
    Do I think the independents could change NK..I seriously doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

Don’t see anything wrong with it. Their going off their own backs i.e. paying for flights and accom and going while the government is on holidays. Be interesting to see the outcome of their visit.

Gardner wrote: »
    Don’t see anything wrong with it. Their going off their own backs i.e. paying for flights and accom and going while the government is on holidays. Be interesting to see the outcome of their visit.

trip wont happen but nk would be an interesting country to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Gardner wrote: »
    I agree.
    If they let Minister Ross to organise the trip, they won't get far.... It's not like he knows anything about transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The pair of them will end up smashing rocks in some north Korean gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If he was going to saudi arabia, we would not bat an eyelid, a country with no democracy , where all other religions are banned , where half of society has no basic human rights,

So when the king of this medieval kingdom dies , we fly all government flags at half mast.

Wake up and question the propaganda you are being fed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

Is this the chain smoking anti-vaxer fella who wants to run the Dept of health?

No that's Finian McGrath.

Advertisement