Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EXTREMELY early days, but Markkanen looks really promising for the Bulls. Could be a good start to the tanking process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Paully D wrote: »
    EXTREMELY early days, but Markkanen looks really promising for the Bulls. Could be a good start to the tanking process.

I'll go out on the limb and say he'll have the best 3pt % of any player over 6ft 6in who shoots 200+ shots from beyond the arc. That is not bad company he's a 40% shooter imo.
    I saw him for Arizona last year and thought he was good but lacked fluidity not a non-athlete but a bit stiff. I would take that back now he's been impressive.

Simmons though is something else. If he keeps this up there is serious consideration for him an all NBA team. I would assume he'd be deemed a guard.

If you assume IT can't make it now, DeRozan had his best season and even CP3 not in the mix given injury and sacrificing to leave Harden being Alpha. He could conceivably make the 3rd team with those numbers and efficiency.

18.5-9-8 must be All NBA team numbers as a guard. I think he sails to an all star appearance and he may as well be given ROY now assuming he's injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Such a casual looking game winner, looked like he just pulled up for mid game 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Such a casual looking game winner, looked like he just pulled up for mid game 3.

Exactly what I thought....not exactly game is on the line D or intensity from the Lakers. Looked quite strange when I watched it.

• Advertisement

brady23 wrote: »
    I'll go out on the limb and say he'll have the best 3pt % of any player over 6ft 6in who shoots 200+ shots from beyond the arc. That is not bad company he's a 40% shooter imo.
    I saw him for Arizona last year and thought he was good but lacked fluidity not a non-athlete but a bit stiff. I would take that back now he's been impressive.

Simmons though is something else. If he keeps this up there is serious consideration for him an all NBA team. I would assume he'd be deemed a guard.

If you assume IT can't make it now, DeRozan had his best season and even CP3 not in the mix given injury and sacrificing to leave Harden being Alpha. He could conceivably make the 3rd team with those numbers and efficiency.

18.5-9-8 must be All NBA team numbers as a guard. I think he sails to an all star appearance and he may as well be given ROY now assuming he's injury free.

Whoa - small sample sizes....but I see where you're going.

I didn't see 1 second of Markkanen in college, and while I liked what I saw in the Euros I've been even more impressed with his play (and shooting in particular) in the NBA. I didn't think he'd be this good this early. Helps of course that he's getting minutes on a sh*t team, but that's not his fault! His shooting mechanics are excellent and unlike a lot of 7 footers (even the good shooters) he doesn't look slightly awkard shooting from distance. One caveat on your 6'6" claim though....isn't Klay Thompson 6'7"? Haven't googled it but pretty sure he is.

Simmons will be ROY unless there's an injury, no question. I've been enormously impressed with him, blown away in fact. I think an All Star selection is within his grasp for sure, but think All NBA is a stretch too far this year. He'll also be head and shoulders better than anyone else in this class in the short and long term IMO. Read this on clutchpoints.com earlier this week and meant to post it then:

He became the first rookie since Shaquille O’ Neal with a double-double in each of his first four games and, to put it into context of all-time greats he usually gets compared to, amassed more combined points, rebounds and assists (169) in the first five career games than Jason Kidd (124), LeBron James (155) and Michael Jordan (167).

I've been most impressed with his passing, both in terms of the variety and the degree of difficulty on some, and his vision.

Finally on rookies for now - see Malik Monk throwing in 18 in the 4th quarter the other night? Again, minutes on a sh*t team caveat, but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lonz0 Ball with 0 points in 28 minutes.

Best thing for Lakers now is to miss the playoffs so he can work on fixing his shot.
    That thing is U G L Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,095 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LeBron forced to put up 57 points, the second highest total of his career, to get the win in Washington and break the skid. There’s a lot of work to be done there.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LeBron forced to put up 57 points, the second highest total of his career, to get the win in Washington and break the skid. There’s a lot of work to be done there.

Yup. He can't do that every night. Plus, Washington have been very poor and very slow to get into gear this season. I'm not sure this is a turn the corner moment just yet.

Boogie's been lighting up the stat sheet again this season but not getting much credit for it as usual. 29Pts, 14Reb, 6 Assists, 2 Blocks and 2 Steals per game.

• Advertisement

Boogie's been lighting up the stat sheet again this season but not getting much credit for it as usual. 29Pts, 14Reb, 6 Assists, 2 Blocks and 2 Steals per game.

The load him and AD are carrying is immense. Averaging 56.5ppg between them and Davis missed a game(or two?)

Boogie is possibly the best Center in the league but I fear we will never see him on a championship contender, the Pelicans will never be thats for sure. The more succesful teams will never take a chance on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

The load him and AD are carrying is immense. Averaging 56.5ppg between them and Davis missed a game(or two?)

Boogie is possibly the best Center in the league but I fear we will never see him on a championship contender, the Pelicans will never be thats for sure. The more succesful teams will never take a chance on him.

Isint boogies contract done this year? I could see him prioritising a championship contender

nerd69 wrote: »
    Isint boogies contract done this year? I could see him prioritising a championship contender

It is, but which contender is realistically going to be able to fit him under the cap?

Watching Mavs-Timberwolves here, KAT is a beast but he has never had an easier game. The Mavs have no center to guard him he's just doing what he likes in the paint with very little effort on his part. Dallas are the worst team ive watched this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dallas are the worst team ive watched this year.

You've clearly not seen Atlanta, they're downright awful.

Remember this is a team that had the 4th seed two years ago, and 5th last year, they've blown it up with nothing (Schroeder excepted) to show for it apart from a roster full of second and third year players, none of whom are remotely close to top-level players.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

You've clearly not seen Atlanta, they're downright awful.

Atlanta 117 - 115 Cleveland :D.....although they made extremely hard work of it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

kmart6 wrote: »
    Atlanta 117 - 115 Cleveland :D.....although they made extremely hard work of it at the end.

Yeah just saw that, nearly make a b*llocks of it entirely.

Simmons with another triple double.

Harden with 56 - a career high. I was surprised 56 was his career high though, thought he went higher before.

Quick comparison of some of the best NBA rookies in the past 30 odd years puts what Simmons is doing in some great company.
    Comparable to Duncan, Shaq, Iverson and Blake while a tad behind MJ.

I genuinely think we could be looking at a multiple MVP winner in the future.
    I know Blake hasn't really progressed much in terms of overall impact since his rookie season but one could argue he's a slight outlier from that perspective.

Simmons weakest point is obviously his shooting but even with everyone dipping under his screens he's still finding players with space and getting to the rim at ease with incredible efficiency.
    I was high on him before but every game that passes he just gets more and more impressive.

I'm so disappointed I couldn't get to the game in London especially after being offered tickets :mad:

Quick comparison of some of the best NBA rookies in the past 30 odd years puts what Simmons is doing in some great company.
    Comparable to Duncan, Shaq, Iverson and Blake while a tad behind MJ.

I genuinely think we could be looking at a multiple MVP winner in the future.
    I know Blake hasn't really progressed much in terms of overall impact since his rookie season but one could argue he's a slight outlier from that perspective.

Simmons weakest point is obviously his shooting but even with everyone dipping under his screens he's still finding players with space and getting to the rim at ease with incredible efficiency.
    I was high on him before but every game that passes he just gets more and more impressive.

I'm so disappointed I couldn't get to the game in London especially after being offered tickets :mad:

+1 on not going to London, regret it now esp. as it's Boston too.

Will catch both at some stage during the season in the US though so that'll make up for it.

Going to Miami in 2 weeks and will see the Celtics play the Heat on the 22nd so looking forward to that.

I think we are witnessing the passing of the guard to a point this season.
    It's probably a tad premature given it's unlikely that any of these younger players are going to make waves in the post season.
    However I do think the likes of Porzingis, Towns, Embiid, Giannis, Davis, Simmons are fast becoming the poster boys of the NBA.

The championship will obviously be decided by LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Kyrie(could be in the younger group) etc but I think the gap has shrunk alot more than I expected over the summer.

LeBron, Durant, Kawhi etc could be challenged as the NBA alphas alot sooner than expected

• Advertisement

It's probably a tad premature given it's unlikely that any of these younger players are going to make waves in the post season.
    However I do think the likes of Porzingis, Towns, Embiid, Giannis, Davis, Simmons are fast becoming the poster boys of the NBA.

The championship will obviously be decided by LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Kyrie(could be in the younger group) etc but I think the gap has shrunk alot more than I expected over the summer.

LeBron, Durant, Kawhi etc could be challenged as the NBA alphas alot sooner than expected

+1.

The shift towards youth has been astonishing, both in terms of the shift itself and also the relative quickness in which it happened.

You have players in the first 3 years of their careers truly dominating, and a large number of them.

Agree with almost all of that, although I dont think its fair to put Kawhi in the same bracket as LeBron and Durant. He is only 26 or so and has improved as an all round player each year, I dont think we've seen the bottom of his talent yet.

Id say we another 2 years of Golden State/Cleveland dominance and then these younger superstars can start battling for championships.

Id say we another 2 years of Golden State/Cleveland dominance and then these younger superstars can start battling for championships.

Hopefully. TBH the real interesting story this year has been the Rookie class. I'm a bit fed up of the GS (and to a lesser degree Cavs) dominance, even if I can appreciate the individual and collective brilliance of what they're doing.

Bledsoe for Monroe, 1st round protected(not sure what num yet) and 2nd rounder.

Given the relationship that has developed, it's not horrific provided it's not like Top 12 protected.
    Monroe will be a FA after the summer so he's essentially a rental.
    Sun's are ****e so who basically cares, McDonough is essentially running them into the ground at every opportunity.

As far as the Bucks go it's a weird move imo. I mean Bledsoe is a poor enough 3pt shooter, he hasn't displayed particularly good play making ability and his touted defensive chops are more theoretical than anything else.

Perhaps he'll get some sort of renaissance but I'm not completely sure he's the most complimentary piece to Giannis given Brogdan shoots 40% from 3. He should be an upgrade on the defensive end given Brogdan is a total liability but I suppose Kidd has been great so far so it's hard to be know. It's a tough one to assess I think

Thought Bledsoe a very strange one myself, hasnt the Bucks whole philosophy been to draft/sign long, athletic types? Bledsoe is a pretty solid guard but dosnt really fit into their M.O up to this point. Maybe they realise they have a chance of going far in the east and think he can tip them over the edge.

Strange trade. I know Phoenix would have taken a few basketballs and some bottles of water for Bledsoe, but I don't think he's a perfect fit for Milwaukee either.

Bledsoe for Monroe, 1st round protected(not sure what num yet) and 2nd rounder.

Given the relationship that has developed, it's not horrific provided it's not like Top 12 protected.
    Monroe will be a FA after the summer so he's essentially a rental.
    Sun's are ****e so who basically cares, McDonough is essentially running them into the ground at every opportunity.

As far as the Bucks go it's a weird move imo. I mean Bledsoe is a poor enough 3pt shooter, he hasn't displayed particularly good play making ability and his touted defensive chops are more theoretical than anything else.

Perhaps he'll get some sort of renaissance but I'm not completely sure he's the most complimentary piece to Giannis given Brogdan shoots 40% from 3. He should be an upgrade on the defensive end given Brogdan is a total liability but I suppose Kidd has been great so far so it's hard to be know. It's a tough one to assess I think

How he hasn't been fired is a mystery.

Suns looking to shop Monroe or buy him out.

Why trade for him at all then? Even if you want rid of Bledsoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Suns looking to shop Monroe or buy him out.

Why trade for him at all then? Even if you want rid of Bledsoe?

Cap relief and a pick

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    Cap relief and a pick

I know( sorry, thought my sarcasm, frustration and disbelief were obvious but I guess not!

Must be incredibly annoying if you're the player in that scenario. Well unless you're bought out and get a new deal quickly I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement