Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

city square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Thanks for that, looks pretty good! Has much been done on the streets yet as thats been marked for touching up as well hasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »
    Thanks for that, looks pretty good! Has much been done on the streets yet as thats been marked for touching up as well hasnt it?

Complete redevelopment of the streets as well, new paving, road surface and layout all in progress.

Its the next phase of the city redevelopment

914 wrote: »

Complete redevelopment of the streets as well, new paving, road surface and layout all in progress.

Its the next phase of the city redevelopment

Long overdue! Hopefully it will look respectable for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Long overdue! Hopefully it will look respectable for Christmas.

Hopefully, thats the plan anyway but I wouldn't hold my breath, these things always have a habbit of running late.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sillysocks wrote:
    Took this about 1/2 weeks ago. It looks better in real life than the photo and so much better than before. This is a photo of where the Brasserie used to be. While I was there I heard a bulder telling someone TK Maxx was going in where the old Burger King was but no idea how true that is.

That's a pity if it's true, I prefer where it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They’ve assembled what appears to be Santa’s grotto upstairs, so it looks like people will be allowed up soon, even if the restaurants aren’t open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's a pity if it's true, I prefer where it is

I don't with the idiots parking along the road there.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't with the idiots parking along the road there.

parking within the city centre actually puts me off from going in there, having the ability to park in tesco for free has been good to date, unfortunately thats also changing now

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Lots of rumours centre will be some size if true 😜

I heard penneys are putting their childrens department in there.

Truth is no one knows whats happening yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Lots of rumours centre will be some size if true ��

I heard penneys are putting their childrens department in there.

Truth is no one knows whats happening yet

Absolutely, the one about Dunnes sounds like a load of bull to me.

• Advertisement

parking within the city centre actually puts me off from going in there, having the ability to park in tesco for free has been good to date, unfortunately thats also changing now

and when those charges come in it will be 100 times worse, there are already people parking both sides of that road.

Council need to sent out somebody to clamp.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    and when those charges come in it will be 100 times worse, there are already people parking both sides of that road.

Council need to sent out somebody to clamp.

or maybe reduce council parking fees in the area, possibly making them free during certain times?

or maybe reduce council parking fees in the area, possibly making them free during certain times?

When considering Tesco is free now and people are that lazy to walk a few steps what difference would it make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

So you don't want to pay for parking, if so,I can't understand that, expecting something for nothing.as we stand, we have reasonable rates and an abundance of spaces, especially since gasworks opened.

People parking is a disgrace. It’s the same out at Smyths, with people parking on the cycle lane even if Smyths isn’t full. And if Smyths is full, there’s another large car park next to it which I’ve never seen full. Much of the cycle lane on the Quays is a car park too. And Kaiser St. even after bollards were put up. People are just lazy.

Max Powers wrote: »
    So you don't want to pay for parking, if so,I can't understand that, expecting something for nothing.as we stand, we have reasonable rates and an abundance of spaces, especially since gasworks opened.

its a fair point, but i actually dont think im alone, a lot of people have been parking in tesco and not actually shopping there, since it opened. i actually think the metering might have a negative effect on their business. i think im right in saying, all other tesco car parks are free in the town? an interesting question, are shoppers not already paying enough in taxation? incentifying shoppers by giving them 'free' parking, might help, maybe! maybe, we should offer free parking, but enforce rules by methods such as clamping?

JohnC. wrote: »
    People parking is a disgrace. It’s the same out at Smyths, with people parking on the cycle lane even if Smyths isn’t full. And if Smyths is full, there’s another large car park next to it which I’ve never seen full. Much of the cycle lane on the Quays is a car park too. And Kaiser St. even after bollards were put up. People are just lazy.

Lazy and pig ignorant....driving around town yesterday, bit of traffic as it was 5ish, would be alright except for idiots driving into yellow box when it was obvious they'd block people coming in left/right side of offending driver.came across another 2 hold ups purely down to dopes on double yellows, blocking one side off road. All around ballybricken area, would have been busy but fine except for these 3.anyway, this thread isn't about driving so...city square ey.

its a fair point, but i actually dont think im alone, a lot of people have been parking in tesco and not actually shopping there, since it opened. i actually think the metering might have a negative effect on their business. i think im right in saying, all other tesco car parks are free in the town? an interesting question, are shoppers not already paying enough in taxation? incentifying shoppers by giving them 'free' parking, might help, maybe! maybe, we should offer free parking, but enforce rules by methods such as clamping?

so you want free parking, tesco has nowt to do with it.Wanderer, you don't get stuff for free this life, it all has to be paid for one way or another.tesco can do what they like, its private property.Practically every city in the world, you pay for public parking, you might have heard of some free for hour or two initiative somewhere but that stuff is generally temporary and limited.I can't understand this attitude of wanting free stuff or not realising stuff needs to be paid for.what's also disturbing is frankly silly talk like I'm not going into town because I have to put a few euros into parking machine.half joking but If parking was free, some would be looking for petrol money to come in.

If you want to keep your city in business keep your business in your city.

Max Powers wrote: »
    so you want free parking, tesco has nowt to do with it.Wanderer, you don't get stuff for free this life, it all has to be paid for one way or another.tesco can do what they like, its private property.Practically every city in the world, you pay for public parking, you might have heard of some free for hour or two initiative somewhere but that stuff is generally temporary and limited.I can't understand this attitude of wanting free stuff or not realising stuff needs to be paid for.what's also disturbing is frankly silly talk like I'm not going into town because I have to put a few euros into parking machine.half joking but If parking was free, some would be looking for petrol money to come in.

If you want to keep your city in business keep your business in your city.

good points again, but again, are shoppers not paying enough in taxes already? or maybe we should invest more in public transport to encourage people out of their cars and into the city? its also important to note, the word 'free' has changed its meaning over time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

good points again, but again, are shoppers not paying enough in taxes already? or maybe we should invest more in public transport to encourage people out of their cars and into the city? its also important to note, the word 'free' has changed its meaning over time;)

Actually those earning under €34,000 a year pay the LOWEST average tax rates in Europe.

In any case it is proven time and time again that free parking only attracts all day parkers. In Naas, they finally did away with free parking on Saturdays because by 9.30am every space was taken up. - And it was the businesses who wanted the reintroduction.

A fair parking rate will never deter shoppers, because the advantages of having a fair parking charge is ease of parking because spaces are not taken up by all day parkers.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Actually those earning under €34,000 a year pay the LOWEST average tax rates in Europe.

In any case it is proven time and time again that free parking only attracts all day parkers. In Naas, they finally did away with free parking on Saturdays because by 9.30am every space was taken up. - And it was the businesses who wanted the reintroduction.

A fair parking rate will never deter shoppers, because the advantages of having a fair parking charge is ease of parking because spaces are not taken up by all day parkers.

more good points, please be aware, im not just talking about direct taxation but more so, indirect taxation such as vat etc. maybe parking can be somehow linked to people that actually purchase, to encourage shopping?

oul change the subject......That is completely different subject about public transport/free parking but short answer on taxes is a resounding NO, we don't pay enough taxes to provide free parking, we couldn't afford to provide and maintain stuff without paying for them like carpark charges.the evidence of this is in practically every city in the world.at the end of this wanderer, are you gonna put a couple euros in the parking machine and support your city centre and drop these fantasies of free (at the point) parking....or tell us which other taxes they should increase to pay for this magic free stuff.

CeilingFly wrote: »

more good points, please be aware, im not just talking about direct taxation but more so, indirect taxation such as vat etc. maybe parking can be somehow linked to people that actually purchase, to encourage shopping?

Where I live, on street parking is about €2.20 an hour with no all day deals or any of that carry on. Parking in Waterford is basically free. Stop complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Parking should be free for two hours with a ticket to prove the start time. That way you deter the all-dayers but give those who want to have long lunch or a proper shop a decent shake. Remember that car could be spending a few hundred euro as easily as be nipping into the hairdressers to spend €12-15.

its a fair point, but i actually dont think im alone, a lot of people have been parking in tesco and not actually shopping there, since it opened. i actually think the metering might have a negative effect on their business. i think im right in saying, all other tesco car parks are free in the town?

I'm sure Tesco shoppers do get to park free. There's something on the signs. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but something like people spending at least €10 get a parking refund for up to 2 hours.

JohnC. wrote:
    I'm sure Tesco shoppers do get to park free. There's something on the signs. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but something like people spending at least €10 get a parking refund for up to 2 hours.

I do believe you 're correct, I suspect they've had enough of non-customers parking there, it's a pity, as I'm sure it works well for other businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Next location for the Brian Lee franchise enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Next location for the Brian Lee franchise enterprise.

I think most people know Chopped was likely to move into the foodcourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The food court on the right upstairs looked practically ready to open when I was in there last week... any firm word on what's going into the various new units now?

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    The food court on the right upstairs looked practically ready to open when I was in there last week... any firm word on what's going into the various new units now?

Nothing except chopped

Advertisement