Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running costs.

• 01-11-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭

So thinking about a modern classic and what tax and insurance costs would typically be. I have my own private insurance already.

Something simple like this with nct
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/17068658
    vw golf mk2 1989

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Full tax is a pity.
    Is classic insurance typically expensive, I’m paying €600 fully comp on my private policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

€514 motor tax, €160 insurance. probably €75 For oil/filters/plugs, you'll most likely need to get the timing belt/ water pump done so about €300 for that. After that it's just fuel. I change the oil every 6 months. It might seem overkill, but oil is the lifeblood of an engine and its only €30. NCT of course. In 2019 the tax drops to €56.
    Just seeing now that's a diesel, no plugs needed. That'll be very frugal but very slow. There's no nct on that.

Thanks guys.
    Yea, slow and frugal. I had one for many years.

Who would that insurance be through and do you need to be a club member ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Campions, and you need to be a member of iveta, that's €25.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

NCT being out means absolutely anything could be needing to put right. The fact it's barely moved for a year doesn't help.

At the very least you'd want to see last year's cert with advisories, etc. but personally I wouldn't touch anything without a recent NCT.

"1989 mk2 golf ,nct out 19 sep 2017 but only 150mls since last test."

Presumably it passed an NCT in 2016 sometime ............ might well be in decent enough shape.

A good look see would tell a lot, the fact the NCT is expired wouldn't in isolation bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

tax will be 56 euro in 2 years time on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,752 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colliemcc wrote: »
    tax will be 56 euro in 2 years time on that.

All the more reason to go for a classic with a bigger engine (and not a diesel) :)

Dades wrote: »
    but personally I wouldn't touch anything without a recent NCT.

I'd say a lot of people find themselves in a situation like this after having bought or imported an 80s car in Ireland. Car has no NCT and will fail needing work if put through

And people then just don't bother, as there is almost no enforcement of the NCT on older cars. I know you were stopped and questioned, but I'd say that was an exception

If they brought in a mandatory €1,500 fine and 6 points and enforced it, this behaviour would disappear overnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A clatterbox golf with a quarter of a million miles on the clock!! Surely there’s something nicer out there. Did you ever drive one of them? They’re fairly grim.

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people find themselves in a situation like this after having bought or imported an 80s car in Ireland. Car has no NCT and will fail needing work if put through

And people then just don't bother, as there is almost no enforcement of the NCT on older cars. I know you were stopped and questioned, but I'd say that was an exception
    Stopped, questioned, fined and given points to boot! I also had to show up in court as there was no record of my turning up in the Garda station within 10 days, even though I had. Quite the PITA. But once bitten, and all that...

Also agree that's a pretty grim ride. There was probably an advisory on last year's NCT form to not drive it in public.

Dades wrote: »
    Stopped, questioned, fined and given points to boot!.

You were very hard done by. Clearly a genuine enthusiast trying to keep their car within the law. Out of interest, did you have the NCT fail sheet with you, how long was it since the car was out and did you have any more work scheduled / NCT booked / parts ordered and did you try reason with the Garda?

You were very hard done by. Clearly a genuine enthusiast trying to keep their car within the law. Out of interest, did you have the NCT fail sheet with you, how long was it since the car was out and did you have any more work scheduled / NCT booked / parts ordered and did you try reason with the Garda?
    Yeah well, the NCT was out a year. I'd had all the work done on it straight away I was just chasing my tail looking for a set of dust plates to replace the ones pulled off by the NCT guy. 1 month turned into 2, 3 into 6 etc... Garda wasn't interested.

I wouldn't mind, but after I got stopped I put the damn thing through the test without any dust plates and it passed with no advisories.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Reasoning with them!!!! Good luck with that:mad:

Nct out a year apparently.
    Cannot claim the enthusiast trying to keep car within the law at that.

Good to see an on the ball garda... if it's not nct exempt a year out of test is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have you got somewhere to keep the car? I assume you'll want it under cover of some sort..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Augeo wrote: »
    Nct out a year apparently.
    Cannot claim the enthusiast trying to keep car within the law at that.

Good to see an on the ball garda... if it's not nct exempt a year out of test is taking the piss.
    Can't really argue with most of that. Car was always safe though. Only missing a cosmetic plate that keeps your wheels from getting dusty.

Advertisement