Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling All Stars and POTY/YPOTY 2017

Options
  • 20-09-2017 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭

2017 All Star Hurling Nominations
    GOALKEEPERS
    Colm Callanan (Galway), Anthony Nash (Cork), Stephen O’Keeffe (Waterford),

DEFENDERS
    Mark Coleman (Cork), Daithí Burke (Galway), Gearóid McInerney (Galway), Padraic Maher (Tipperary), Padraig Mannion (Galway), Noel Connors (Waterford), Tadhg de Búrca (Waterford), Aidan Harte (Galway), Adrian Tuohey (Galway), Darragh Fives (Waterford), Diarmuid O’Keeffe(Wexford), Colm Spillane (Cork), John Hanbury (Galway), Damien Cahalane (Cork), Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny), Conor Gleeson (Waterford), Philip Mahony (Waterford), Matthew O’Hanlon (Wexford)

MIDFIELDERS
    David Burke (Galway), Jamie Barron (Waterford), Brendan Maher (Tipperary), Johnny Coen (Galway), Darragh Fitzgibbon (Cork), Lee Chin (Wexford)

FORWARDS
    Kevin Moran (Waterford), Joe Canning (Galway), Conor Cooney (Galway), Joseph Cooney (Galway), Patrick Horgan (Cork), Pauric Mahony (Waterford), John McGrath (Tipperary), Michael Walsh (Waterford), Alan Cadogan (Cork), Conor Whelan (Galway) Conor Lehane (Cork), Noel McGrath (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), Seamus Callanan (Tipperary), Shane O’Donnell (Clare), Conor McDonald (Wexford), Cathal Mannion (Galway).

Young Player Of The Year
    Mark Coleman (Cork)
    Conor Gleeson (Waterford)
    Conor Whelan (Galway)

Player Of The Year
    Joe Canning (Galway)
    Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    Jamie Barron (Waterford)

to be revealed Friday 3rd Nov. well done to all players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jamie Barron is my HOTY, but I think Canning will actually win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lmhall

Also think Jamie Barron should be HOTY, but can see Canning getting it which would be icing on the cake for him this year -

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Joe C hurler of the year by a mile!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There must have been at least 5 previous seasons when Canning played better than he did this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Galway hurlers won every competition they entered this year, they are clearly the team of the year and as a result I would say that the hurler of the year should be from their team, as they've only 1 nomination it has to be Joe C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

There must have been at least 5 previous seasons when Canning played better than he did this year.

Not necessarily. Led the turnaround v Waterford in Salthill when they were 10 down at one stage. Very good league final. Sunday Game MOTM v Dublin. Cruised through Offaly - they all did. Quiet but still relevant v WX. Supreme last quarter v Tipp. Solid game in the final. Had a steady, consistent season to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Barron HOTY
    Whelan YHOTY

6 new inductees this year means that 350 hurlers have now won an All-Star:

Kilkenny 69 players
    Cork 51
    Galway 49
    Tipp 48
    Clare 28
    Limerick, Offaly 25
    Waterford, Wexford 20
    Dublin 7
    Antrim 5
    Laois, Westmeath, Down 1

= 350

Total
    Kilkenny 183 awards
    Cork 108
    Tipp 97
    Galway 92
    Clare 50
    Limerick 47
    Offaly 42
    Waterford 39
    Wexford 31
    Dublin 8
    Antrim 5
    Laois, Westmeath, Down 1

= 705.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2017 PWC All-Star Hurling Team:

1. Stephen O’Keeffe (Waterford)
    2. Padraic Mannion (Galway)
    3. Daithí Burke (Galway)
    4. Noel Connors (Waterford)
    5. Padraic Maher (Tipperary)
    6. Gearóid McInerney (Galway)
    7. Mark Coleman (Cork)
    8. Jamie Barron (Waterford)
    9. David Burke (Galway)
    10. Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    11. Joe Canning (Galway)
    12. Michael Walsh (Waterford)
    13. Conor Whelan (Galway)
    14. Conor Cooney (Galway)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2017 PWC All-Star Hurling Team:

1. Stephen O’Keeffe (Waterford)
    2. Padraic Mannion (Galway)
    3. Daithí Burke (Galway)
    4. Noel Connors (Waterford)
    5. Padraic Maher (Tipperary)
    6. Gearóid McInerney (Galway)
    7. Mark Coleman (Cork)
    8. Jamie Barron (Waterford)
    9. David Burke (Galway)
    10. Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    11. Joe Canning (Galway)
    12. Michael Walsh (Waterford)
    13. Conor Whelan (Galway)
    14. Conor Cooney (Galway)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Cork)

More or less as expected although I see they shifted Padraig Mannion to corner-back to make space for Coleman. I'm sure they could have found another corner-back who had a good year.

Not sure who the unluckiest player is to miss out. Maybe Joseph Cooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

They must be very dissapointed in Kilkenny that Fifi didn't get an award for the performance in Ballyragget!

More or less as expected although I see they shifted Padraig Mannion to corner-back to make space for Coleman. I'm sure they could have found another corner-back who had a good year.

Not sure who the unluckiest player is to miss out. Maybe Joseph Cooney.
    A couple of Galway players could consider themselves unlucky, Hanbury in particular I think. When you consider Coen, Harte or Touhy aren't in the team either, it's not surprising they're champs... also interesting that Austin Gleeson goes from HOTY one year to not making the team the next, even though his county improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Anthony Nash, Adrian tuohy, Joseph Cooney most unlucky in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Sure like any year there are a few lads who were unlucky to miss out. Aside from the galway lads, from waterford you could say fives (both arguably), deburca, gleeson (conor) some feel and mahony (pauric) were close enough to getting in. I think depending on the year any of them could have in other years.

Nash was unlucky, but I thought he wasn't great in the semi and I think o Keefe just had a better year to be honest.

They're incredibly weighted in favour of the teams who go further considering they're supposed to be individual awards. But that's the way people want them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

6 new inductees this year means that 350 hurlers have now won an All-Star:

Kilkenny 69 players
    Cork 51
    Galway 49
    Tipp 48
    Clare 28
    Limerick, Offaly 25
    Waterford, Wexford 20
    Dublin 7
    Antrim 5
    Laois, Westmeath, Down 1

= 350

Total
    Kilkenny 183 awards
    Cork 108
    Tipp 97
    Galway 92
    Clare 50
    Limerick 47
    Offaly 42
    Waterford 39
    Wexford 31
    Dublin 8
    Antrim 5
    Laois, Westmeath, Down 1

= 705.

Interesting stats there. Offaly with 42 stands out a bit. When did they get their last one at least ten years ago. Waterford on the other hand went from 3/4 awards in Total in late 90's up to 39 now....never realised down or west Meath had any would have thought Laois had one or two more.....as expected nobody within an asses roar of the total no kk have. This must be the first years in a very long time they haven't added to their total!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Interesting stats there. Offaly with 42 stands out a bit. When did they get their last one at least ten years ago. Waterford on the other hand went from 3/4 awards in Total in late 90's up to 39 now....never realised down or west Meath had any would have thought Laois had one or two more.....as expected nobody within an asses roar of the total no kk have. This must be the first years in a very long time they haven't added to their total!!

Last one for Offaly now over 15 years ago.

Remember they only started the awards in the 70s so for two of the first three decades Offaly were a top level team. It's hardly a surprising figure when you also consider in that era it was nearly all knockout hurling, so getting to seven All Ireland finals in 20 years gave you much more exposure that the likes of Waterford at that time who more often than not just played 1 championship game per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Road-Hog wrote: »

Think KK also missed out on any awards in 2013 when they exited at QF stage

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Why in gods name do they announce the winners before the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

so getting to seven All Ireland finals in 20 years gave you much more exposure that the likes of Waterford at that time who more often than not just played 1 championship game per year.

Not true at all, and when you look through the awards before the back door its quite the opposite, off the top of my head a perfect example would be Pat McLoughney who won two allstars and never won a championship match which is incredible and could never ever happen in the modern era.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Canning got hurler of the year apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

KevIRL wrote: »
    Canning got hurler of the year apparently

I didn't think he was the best Galway player to be honest this year. Now don't get me wrong - I think he's an incredible player. And for years was outstanding for Galway and coming in for endless criticism for not scoring when he was played inside and getting very poor ball, or for not scoring when he was played at HF and sending great ball in but the quality wasn't there to use it. Finally people seem undivided in saying he's a great player which he always has been. But was he the best on the team this year? No, for me that would be David Burke or Gearoid McInerney. And overall I think Barron was the best player in the country. Moran had a great year and I hate to say it about my countyman, but he was nominated so another Galwayman wouldn't split the vote.

Thinking about it - they should just give people first, second, third preference votes for HOTY and then they could nominate the three best hurlers every year and let people pick who they think was the best. It would clearly be the fairest way, but I think they want to keep on picking it and gerrymandering the voting to pretend that it was the players choice.

Anyway, congratulations Joe on your award.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

blue note wrote: »
    I didn't think he was the best Galway player to be honest this year. Now don't get me wrong - I think he's an incredible player. And for years was outstanding for Galway and coming in for endless criticism for not scoring when he was played inside and getting very poor ball, or for not scoring when he was played at HF and sending great ball in but the quality wasn't there to use it. Finally people seem undivided in saying he's a great player which he always has been. But was he the best on the team this year? No, for me that would be David Burke or Gearoid McInerney. And overall I think Barron was the best player in the country. Moran had a great year and I hate to say it about my countyman, but he was nominated so another Galwayman wouldn't split the vote.

Anyway, congratulations Joe on your award.

Agreed, I don't think Joe was even the best Galway player this year. I'd have McInerney as my #1 and Barron as #2, given McInerney isn't even nominated I'd like to see Barron win it but have to assume it'll be Joe. Canning is a class act and has been great this year, just not the best imo.

Barron was unreal against Kilkenny and Cork, think he was nominated for MotM in the final as well... not sure if he was awarded MotM for the Kilkenny + Cork games but can only assume he was. Don't think anyone would begrudge Canning the award all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fun fact: It's the third time that Galway won an All Ireland and a fella called Joe C playing centre forward won hurler of the year in the same year (Connolly (80), Cooney (87), Canning 17))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canning should have got HOTY a few years back so have no problem with him getting the nod as he is due one.

Bit of sentimentality about both POTYs to be fair, but deserved for lifetime achievement anyway.

And what was Lyster up to flinging the envelope across the stage, strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Burial. wrote: »
    Canning should have got HOTY a few years back so have no problem with him getting the nod as he is due one.
    I sort of agree your sentiments, and Joe is the best player I have ever seen.
    But that's not how the awards should work, and probably McInerney deserved it above him. He was tuned in for the full 70 of all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Burial. wrote: »
    But that's not how the awards should work, and probably McInerney deserved it above him. He was tuned in for the full 70 of all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

An exceptional player and no quibble about HOTY but to suggest he might be an all time great is premature to be charitable.
    He might make the list of top twenty forwards but not before at least three other Galway men.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Exiled1 wrote: »

An exceptional player and no quibble about HOTY but to suggest he might be an all time great is premature to be charitable.
    He might make the list of top twenty forwards but not before at least three other Galway men.

Give me a giggle and tell me who are the three Galway forwards who are better than he has been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Give me a giggle and tell me who are the three Galway forwards who are better than he has been

Joe Cooney, John Connolly ( though most of his best work was at midfield) and take your pick from Joe Sammon/ Noel Lane.
    No doubt Joe Canning is the best of his generation.

Advertisement