Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa....Muslim brotherhood

• 20-10-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My position has been mis-represented by many people. So here is what I said while this case was on, from 2013 to 2017:
    On Ibrahim himself:
    Should Ibrahim Halawa be in prison?
    A. No idea. He supported the MB, a fascist organisation that killed police and burnt Coptic churches. But I have seen no evidence that he did that.
    Some people say he should be freed. Some say he should be jailed. Where do you stand?
    A. Neither. I do not take either position.
    Do you trust Egypt to give Halawa a fair trial?
    A. No. I have no trust in the Egyptian government or courts. Egypt under Sisi is a tyranny. Just as it was a tyranny under the MB and a tyranny under Mubarak.
    Are you upset that a MB guy is in prison?
    A. No, I can't say that could ever upset me.
    Did Halawa tear up his Irish passport on video?
    A. I have seen no evidence for that story.
    On the MB in general:
    Are MB members suffering abuse of their human rights under Sisi?
    A. Yes, probably. That's how Sisi (and every Egyptian regime) operates. No one gets justice in Egypt.
    Is that bad?
    A. Yes, I guess, but it is nowhere near the worst thing wrong with Egypt. Egypt needs, among other things, proper freedom for Christians, gays, apostates, atheists and critics of Islam. Treatment of MB prisoners is entirely unimportant compared to these huge issues.
    Do you feel personally upset that MB prisoners might suffer abuse of their rights in Egypt?
    No. Not really. I despise the MB and I am not interested in their problems.
    Other questions:
    Should the Halawa sisters be extradited to Egypt?
    A. No. Ireland should not extradite people to Egypt.
    Should Amnesty be defending Halawa?
    A. No. Amnesty should not defend Islamists.
    Are you annoyed that the Irish government is helping Halawa?
    A. No. It's what governments do. But don't expect me to join in.
    What else should the Irish government be doing?
    A. Asking what went wrong with immigration that a family that supports the Muslim Brotherhood was allowed settle in Ireland.
    What would it take for you to support Halawa?
    A. Him denouncing sharia law and the MB, and calling for freedom for apostates, atheists, Copts and gays. Him declaring that Irish law is superior to sharia law.
    I am not campaigning for Halawa to be in prison (or to be freed). I have no idea about his guilt or innocence. I just want the Irish media to explain who he is and what he believes. I want them to cover the story with questioning and scepticism (as they should every story).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

See all the other Halawa threads have been shut down.
    Seems a bit over the top considering that it is a topical issue and will merit further discussion after his forthcoming appearance on the Late Late Show.
    I hope for the sake of healthy debate the decision is reconsidered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

quintana76 wrote: »
    See all the other Halawa threads have been shut down.
    Seems a bit over the top considering that it is a topical issue and will merit further discussion after his forthcoming appearance on the Late Late Show.
    I hope for the sake of healthy debate the decision is reconsidered.

At least one of those threads was delibertly targeted in a concerted effort to derail the discussion and shut down debate imo.

Interestingly this was done by just a handful of posters ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just to add to my last post and the reaction of a few - I would like to add to my view from a source which I would rarely read or quote - however as it sums up my and I believe other posters experiences following the LLS - I will quote it here ...
    ...As some viewers started to post their reaction on social media, the response from the fanatical “liberal” left was extraordinary.

Ibrahim with father Hussein Halawa at Dublin Airport after he returned home

I am used to the way in which they bully and hector anyone who doesn’t share their trite view of the world, but even I was shocked at this.

Anyone who pointed out what they believed were confusing aspects in his story was denounced as a “racist” or “backward” in addition to other, more vile language...

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1774541/people-who-raise-legitimate-and-necessary-questions-about-ibrahim-halawa-are-not-racist-they-are-concerned/

Indeed the intolerance of opinion exhibited by some was indeed extraordinary...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod: thread locked this forum is for discussing world religions.

There is a thread in ah if you wish to discuss halves and his political beliefs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement