Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Ads 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Oh I just watched it!! I love it reminds me of love actually!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Here we go..

It won't be long before our screens are full of festive full ads and no doubt we'll all be watching out for the John Lewis Ad, so here is a thread for all of your favorite ads this festive season!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Aw I want Martin Freeman to tell me I'm using up all my data!

The John Lewis ad should be revealed in just over a week if last year is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Aw I want Martin Freeman to tell me I'm using up all my data!

The John Lewis ad should be revealed in just over a week if last year is anything to go by.

Eeeeekk... it's happening!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The DFS Christmas ad was on TV yesterday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Just read this today about the Coca Cola Holidays are Coming Christmas ad:

The famous 'Holidays Are Coming' advert will return to UK screens, 22 years since first being aired, on November 17, with a special Christmas twist on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just checking here, but has that silly law been passed yet that will stop the classic guinness advert being broadcast? I sincerely hope not as for me its not christmas time until I see it on TV:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Just checking here, but has that silly law been passed yet that will stop the classic guinness advert being broadcast?

It looks like it has.... I wouldn't hold out hope seeing it on tv this year. :(

Loughc wrote: »
    It looks like it has.... I wouldn't hold out hope seeing it on tv this year. :(

I'll have to download it so & play it through the TV!! :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'll have to download it so & play it through the TV!! :D

That's my plan too, thank god for Smart TVs and YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Seen the littlewoods Christmas ad yesterday
    No link for it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope John Lewis return to making a "good Xmas" advert and not trying too hard to make a "good John Lewis Xmas" advert. I think they may have peaked with the Bear and the Hare though.

Last year Aldi and Kevin the Carrot really stole their thunder with the slot prior to the launch of the JL advert with ol' Kev getting excited for the ad itself.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Last year Aldi and Kevin the Carrot really stole their thunder with the slot prior to the launch of the JL advert with ol' Kev getting excited for the ad itself.

That was just so so clever. And I think they did one with Kevin getting excited for the Toy Show too. Really brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

The John Lewis advert detail have been leaked. My little one is gruffalo mad so hopefully she will love it.
    https://www.her.ie/entertainment/details-years-john-lewis-christmas-advert-revealed-372862

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope the John Lewis ad gets back it's spark this year!

ciara007 wrote: »
    The John Lewis advert detail have been leaked. My little one is gruffalo mad so hopefully she will love it.
    https://www.her.ie/entertainment/details-years-john-lewis-christmas-advert-revealed-372862
    Apparently, people think it's going to be a new version of Last Christmas, to pay tribute to the late George Michael.

Traditionally they used to release the ad on the first Friday of November, but last year they surprised everyone when they released it on Thursday, November 10th.

So, people are speculating that it could be released on Thursday, November 9th this year.

Oh yes, I would love a version of Last Christmas, I love the song and it would be a nice way to acknowledge George Michael as well.

Roll on next week, hopefully we'll know more then.

But like a previous poster has commented I think the ads themselves have peaked and there's more hype than substance now.

Was there not an advert last year with big cuddly (gruffalo-esque) characters last year?
    Cant remember who for mind... but could have sworn there was...

Was there not an advert last year with big cuddly (gruffalo-esque) characters last year?
    Cant remember who for mind... but could have sworn there was...

It does sound familiar....

You might be thinking of last year’s Argos ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I've high hopes for the John Lewis one. They seem to know they messed up last year showing the parents assembling the presents on Christmas Eve and thinking a boxer dog would compete on the cute stakes with all the other festive characters. Aldi in particular wiped the floor with them. I'd say they will put everything into regaining their crown this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Agreed touts! I wasn't impressed with the ad last year! And also I think....Lidl's one? Was that the one with the child fretting about not getting something & then realising it was ok cos the parents had been to Lidl?

I remember my sister was particularly annoyed by them as her 7 year old was having major doubts about the big man & she was like "this is not helping!"

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Agreed touts! I wasn't impressed with the ad last year! And also I think....Lidl's one? Was that the one with the child fretting about not getting something & then realising it was ok cos the parents had been to Lidl?

I remember my sister was particularly annoyed by them as her 7 year old was having major doubts about the big man & she was like "this is not helping!"

I find in the last few years kids might really be doubtful about it. They seems to be obsession with the word Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I find in the last few years kids might really be doubtful about it. They seems to be obsession with the word Believe.

Yeah, I think they seem to be doubtful a lot sooner than we were! In my niece's case, one of the children in her class whose family doesn't celebrate Christmas told her that none of it was real :( My sister told her that he had said it because of that reason....but the seed of doubt was planted :(:(:(

I love the Argos ad! It’s very Arthur Christmas.

I like this Asda one, its very Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mljptVsD5g

Very scuttle SuperValu Christmas ad on now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Advertisement