Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S import VRT?

• 29-06-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here imported a Tesla S or received a VRT estimate from the powers that be?
    I'm looking at UK cars and the Model S (2014) is going to hit £40,000 soon which along with the current exchange rate makes them attractive to me. But the Revenue have no listing for Tesla's yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Also interested in this. Even tried calling the vrt office and got no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any idea what the car would sell for here? If you do, that would give you an approximate answer. Let's for a moment assume that the OMSP here is €50k

Then the VRT is 14% of €50k = €7k minus the €5k VRT discount for EVs, so just €2k. Not bad, what? :)

If the OMSP is €60k (surely not more as a brand new one is not that much over €80k), then the VRT payable is €3.4k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

Saves me doing maths. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This thread is symbolic of most of my daydreams at the moment.
    I'm aiming to purchase an AP1 equipped CPO model S85 in 12-18 months assuming I have got my ppr sorted by then. Banks don't like you taking out finance when in the mortgage approval process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

unkel wrote: »
    Any idea what the car would sell for here? If you do, that would give you an approximate answer. Let's for a moment assume that the OMSP here is €50k

Then the VRT is 14% of €50k = €7k minus the €5k VRT discount for EVs, so just €2k. Not bad, what? :)

If the OMSP is €60k (surely not more as a brand new one is not that much over €80k), then the VRT payable is €3.4k

Thanks Unkel.
    The problem is: what OSMP will/have revenue put on a 2014 Tesla Model S?
    Given that most of them seem to have €10K wort of factory extras added I think it could be a bit of a minefield.
    The lowest price for a Model S in Ireland is currently €67000. Taking 67K as a marker then VRT payable would be €4380, which is €2380 more than would be paid on an OSMP of €50000.

• Advertisement

I would get a quote in writing (email) from NCTS (VRT) before importing, just to make sure there are no nasty surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I would get a quote in writing (email) from NCTS (VRT) before importing, just to make sure there are no nasty surprises.

They don't do that though. In this farcical system of ours, you'd need to buy it and present it before a quote is given. Same as all the non listed vehicles on the system unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Would Tesla Ireland have imported any used Model S from the UK when they set up shop here? If they have they might be able to give you an idea of the VRT. Might be worth a phone call to them at least.

They'd be mad not to in my opinion.

That would be an amazing car......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I thought it was VRT free up to 35K, then 14% on the balance?
    I'm not sure but it might have changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Yea your right..

"VRT relief of up to €5,000 depending on the age of the car in respect of certain series production vehicles until 31 December 2021"

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

I called into Tesla in Sandyford a few weeks back and they are not importing used CPO Teslas from the UK to Ireland for the moment they said.

I told them it was a no brainer and would start generating sales for them. If they could have used Model S with warranty for around €50K it would offer people a lower price point to get behind the wheel of one compared with a brand new one.

Scottie99 wrote:
    I thought it was VRT free up to 35K, then 14% on the balance? I'm not sure but it might have changed

That's the same thing, Scottie :)

14% on the first 35k = 5k discount

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Just FYI you can get a Tesla VRT estimate here now..... https://www.vrt.ie/home/vrt-motor-tax-calculator/independent-vrt-calculator/

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Just FYI you can get a Tesla VRT estimate here now..... https://www.vrt.ie/home/vrt-motor-tax-calculator/independent-vrt-calculator/

Funny this came up today, I picked up a Tesla Model S 85 earlier. Its 142 Reg. The VRT bill was €4399 when it was imported some time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

macnab wrote: »
    Funny this came up today, I picked up a Tesla Model S 85 earlier. Its 142 Reg. The VRT bill was €4399 when it was imported some time this year.

Well wear, I’m guessing it was the one for sale on DoneDeal

Well wear, I’m guessing it was the one for sale on DoneDeal

Yes it was on DoneDeal

Well wear!

A lot of us in here are jealous :)

Any details on the car and how much did you end up paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes it was on DoneDeal

Wear well! :D

Do you have some paperwork for the VRT? Do you know which depreciation class revenue assigned to it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

You're a Meath man, I think you must show me this new Tesla of yours ;)

Well wear indeed!
    There's been a few for sale, including the one for 55k in Dublin that's pre-AP. And then some from dealers etc.

A lot of jealousy on the forum today I suspect, from myself aswell!

Nice to know about the VRT bill. It means there is a stat code now on the system for model s which will aid future grey imports

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nice to know about the VRT bill. It means there is a stat code now on the system for model s which will aid future grey imports

I wonder how come the VRT can be calculated on this pay for site, while there are no Teslas yet on the official VRT calculator?

Maybe this site just uses some algorithm to estimate VRT? If so, is that any good?

Official VRT Calculator linky

I wonder how come the VRT can be calculated on this pay for site, while there are no Teslas yet on the official VRT calculator?

Maybe this site just uses some algorithm to estimate VRT? If so, is that any good?

Official VRT Calculator linky
    There's none on the calculator but if someone has brought one in already (as the poster said there was a VRT invoice/bill he saw) that means there is an existing statistical code within revenue when someone brings in another.

Even if it's not on the website.
    4500 odd VRT would point to a lower than expected OMSP sale price and/or a higher depreciation allowance. All my (back of a fag pack) calculations had the VRT closer to 9k than 4.

There's none on the calculator but if someone has brought one in already (as the poster said there was a VRT invoice/bill he saw) that means there is an existing statistical code within revenue when someone brings in another.

Even if it's not on the website.
    4500 odd VRT would point to a lower than expected OMSP sale price and/or a higher depreciation allowance. All my (back of a fag pack) calculations had the VRT closer to 9k than 4.

The OMSP for a 142 Model S 85D was ~€67150. How much did you estimate the OMSP to get VRT of 9k?! €100000 ?

grogi wrote: »
    The OMSP for a 142 Model S 85D was ~€67150. How much did you estimate the OMSP to get VRT of 9k?! €100000 ?
    Yes I used 100k. There was a time when the SIMI dealers were purposely listing older tesla models at 80-100k to inflate the VRT.

Where do you see the OMSP listed?

Yes I used 100k. There was a time when the SIMI dealers were purposely listing older tesla models at 80-100k to inflate the VRT.

Where do you see the OMSP listed?

OMSP = (VRT-paid + €5000) / 0.14 = €9399 / 0.14 = €67136

grogi wrote: »
    OMSP = (VRT-paid + €5000) / 0.14 = €9399 / 0.14 = €67136
    But that's not the OMSP, strictly speaking it's the OMSP less the allowable depreciation.

It's the allowable depreciation that I neglected to include in my calculations hence the inflated figures.

But that's not the OMSP, strictly speaking it's the OMSP less the allowable depreciation.

It's the allowable depreciation that I neglected to include in my calculations hence the inflated figures.

That's exactly what taxman used for Current OMSP determined by Revenue. Not the OMSP when new...

• Advertisement

Ok, there's two.
    "Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue"
    and "Current OMSP determined by Revenue"

I guess it's easier to look at the second, although there is a corelation - as the second is determined by the first, less "Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle"

Advertisement