Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call me by your name

• 24-10-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭

I see this is out friday, getting some terrific reviews as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rgO_TyyOoU

It's the summer of 1983, and precocious 17-year-old Elio Perlman is spending the days with his family at their 17th-century villa in Lombardy, Italy. He soon meets Oliver, a handsome doctoral student who's working as an intern for Elio's father. Amid the sun-drenched splendor of their surroundings, Elio and Oliver discover the heady beauty of awakening desire over the course of a summer that will alter their lives forever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"So... nonchalant" one character observes in this film, and such a simple description (accompanied by a longer discussion about artistic representations of bodies) proves a perfect encapsulation of a film whose beauty is ravishingly casual.

Intoxicating stuff overall. It's an earnest film, but it's rare to see a film so utterly committed to doing its own thing, so confident in its own skin (and, of course, focusing on its actors' skin). As a romance story, it's sensual and summery and intense in the way many great cinematic love stories are. But it's uniquely articulate too. Many scenes are perfectly shaped: one mid-film sequence - where simmering tensions finally come to the fore - takes place by a war memorial, and the graceful way the characters & camera move, amplifying the emotion to unexpected heights, makes it one of the best single scene in recent memory. But there's others too, and Guadagnino & editor Walter Fasano always know when a scene has to move on - some of the most powerful moments are mere seconds long, others continue for five minutes plus. For a film where 'not much happens', it gallops along at a hypnotic pace.

It's a classical film, and yet one that also feels like it couldn't have been made in quite this shape until now (or very recently). European summer romances, from Bergman to Rohmer, have long delivered some of cinema's most irresistible pleasures - and this exquisite piece of unapologetic romantic melodrama can stand proudly alongside them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Saw this today. Thought it was achingly beautiful. So many wonderful scenes; the conversation between Elio and his father towards the end had the lower lip quivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

A fantastic film that caught me off guard - luscious and sensual whilst simultaneously honest and believable.

It perfectly captures the feeling of a summer holiday where time starts out as an abundant commodity but quickly dissipates.

A beautiful film both in terms of the Italian backdrop and the central relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

It's stunning, utterly beautiful, captivating and bittersweet, and the chemistry between Hammer and Chalamet is electric. It's a movie that lingers in your head for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I found it to be mysogonistic and promoting pedestry. And far too many religious symbols

The cinematography and music were excellent though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This was really beautiful

This film really hangs around in your head after seeing it. Well worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh I loved this. God it was just gorgeous.

Now I’m off to overdose on sufjan Stevens

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

It's going on 2 months since I've seen it and I genuinely still think about it every single day. Have rewatched it a few times now and the emotional bite from the first time has not dissipated. One of the those films AND performances that I think will be remembered and appreciated for a long time. Shame it's not a frontrunner for the Oscars but that's another debate. Hopefully, the Lighthouse adds more dates!

camz09 wrote: »
    It's going on 2 months since I've seen it and I genuinely still think about it every single day. Have rewatched it a few times now and the emotional bite from the first time has not dissipated. One of the those films AND performances that I think will be remembered and appreciated for a long time. Shame it's not a frontrunner for the Oscars but that's another debate. Hopefully, the Lighthouse adds more dates!

Same. Only saw it once and it’s just stayed with me.
    The dads talk towards the end destroyed me in the best way.
    And that ending ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was a terrific film I thought beautifully shot and acted, good to see it still on in the lighthouse.
    I would say though it seems to have totally overshadowed another film called "Gods own country" which I found equally affecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

camz09 wrote: »

Tell me about it! I saw it in the cinema, downloaded the book once I got home that night and rewatched it twice since then. It's just captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I'm a little bit late here because it only just came out in France but I hope this film gets all the recognition it deserves. First twenty minutes had me thinking that it was perhaps a bit intellectually over-charged and over-hyped but, wow, by the end I was emotionally devastated. Such a beautiful piece of work that really gets under your skin and there was barely a dry eye in the house at the end. Peach sales have probably rocketed :D Fantastic work.

thought that the Chamalet actor was very good. Armie Hammer was quite stilted I thought - don't think that he has great range. As a result the "love" scenes seemed off.
    didn't live up to the hype for me.
    the end speech by the dad and the ending were good but a bit too justifying and sentimental.

apparently there are plans for another 2 movies - like a before sunrise/ sunset etc trilogy or something.

Read about the proposed sequels.

Please no. Totally steals the heart from this one and ruins it.

Completely unnecessary

Just a head's up, tomorrow seems to be the last showing of CMBYN in Ireland.. I believe 3pm at the Lighthouse. I'm still not over this film & luckily will be able to watch in the big screen for the last time.

Edit: Oops, turns out more dates were added :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

This movie is starting on film 4 just jow

Advertisement