Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby League World Cup 2017 (27th Oct. to 2nd Dec.)

Options
  • 27-09-2017 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭

IMG_20170927_001524.jpg

With the competition just around the corner, I thought I'd get the ball rolling. Ireland, bolstered by a few ringers amongst the home grown lads, should give a decent account of themselves.

In reality it'll be a tournament to see who gets beaten by Australia in the final, but hopefully it'll throw up some good games along the way.

As it's down under this year most games are on at horrible o'clock (any Irish fans fancy getting up at 4am to see Ireland v Lebanon) :(

A lot of the games will be live on Premier/Eir Sports 2 with the BBC showing a few (England games, Wales and Scotland ignored by their national broadcaster). Freesports.tv will carry some of the games too, but no confirmation of which ones yet.

All the confirmed broadcast details of times and channel are HERE

I'll post various bits and pieces in the lead up, feel free to post stuff here yourselves too! Any world cup related contributions greatly appreciated.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Here's one of the new Ireland 2nd jersey, pretty cool imo.
    IMG_20170927_004658_crop_478x1024.jpg
    Dreadful pic though, sorry! :o

O'Neills selling the two new shirts, both quality jerseys.

https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/rugby/rugby-league/rugby-league-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hopefully the media will report on the games and one or two decent results might attract some new fans.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Lot of of defections to Tonga, they will have a pretty good team on paper now, New Zealand have lost a lot of players, and the Aussies one so far. Article below says Kiwis could be in bother with all the losses as they are in the same group as Tonga.

Players have until 13th to decide who they represent. Good explanation of the eligibility rules for the world cup in this link, as well as talking about which players have jumped ship to Tonga.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/41516430

All going well it'll be England v Ireland in the quarter final. The inter-group games work well for Ireland (we play Italy, Wales face Fiji, PNG face USA).

Not sure when the Ireland squad is announced, just says tbc on the website. England are announcing their squad Monday, Scotland and Wales the following day. Ireland will probably do the same, and players who weren't selected by England, and are eligible, may declare for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ireland squad announced, info taken from
    http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/ireland-announce-world-cup-squad
    Mark Aston has kept the core squad together that have been a part of the last few European Championships and the players that qualified for the tournament last Autumn.
    The evergreen Liam Finn and Scott Grix lead the side out as captain and vice-captain and they have over 20 years experience now playing for Ireland.

Irish born NRL and Super League giant James Hasson leads out an impressive pack that includes youngsters like Brad Singleton, the King brothers and Joe Philbin of Warrington who impressed in the qualifiers, as well as Kyle Amor, Anthony Mullally, Tyrone McCarthy and Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook who bring real quality and experience to the side. The hooker position sees Michael McIlorum return to the Wolfhounds after a long absence and his direction and aggression will be a huge asset.

Youth is a key part of the squad and players like Liam Kay, Jack Higginson, Ollie Roberts and Will Hope are likely to star for Ireland into the future.

The domestic competition has got a greater involvement this time round and Matty Hadden features again after being involved in 2013 and is selected alongside James Kelly, Casey Dunne and Alan McMahon who have been central to the growth of the game in Ireland. Mikey Russell is also involved in the party and will travel as a reserve.

Ireland Rugby League World Cup 2017 squad

Liam Finn (C)
    Scott Grix (VC)
    James Hasson
    Kyle Amor
    Liam Kay
    Will Hope
    Oliver Roberts
    Ed Chamberlain
    George King
    Toby King
    Joe Keyes
    Joe Philbin
    Jack Higginson
    Anthony Mullally
    Tyrone McCarthy
    Brad Singleton
    Micky McIlorum
    Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
    Api Pewhairangi
    Matty Hadden
    Shannon McDonnell
    Casey Dunne
    James Kelly
    Alan McMahon
    Mikey Russell (Travelling Reserve)

Pewhairangi had a good season for the London Broncos anyway. Five domestic players in the squad too, congratulations to them.

Great experience for the domestic players. Really looking forward to the tournament now.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Isaac Luke (who tbh has been crap for the Warriors this year, but normally a decent player) nearly declared for Ireland, paperwork went in late supposedly.

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/issac-luke-for-ireland-10318/

IMG_20171009_130228.jpg

Not long to wait now, there's a good overview in the Guardian about the competition, I can't wait now, I'm hoping there'll be as much interest over there as I'm reading about to make for a good atmosphere. Ireland playing in PNG will be tough, people have died over there over Rugby League results, they are fanatical! Should be some atmosphere though, and a great experience for the home grown players (shame there's not a few more).

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/25/australia-favourites-rugby-league-world-cup

Fuppin work means I miss this weekends games so I'll have to record them.

• Advertisement

Great opener to kick things off tomorrow and the game being on BBC 2 is a nice bonus. I'll record it and get to it later. I don't give the English much hope tbh as the Australia team looks amazing, even without Thurston, but if England could make a game of it that would be good for the tournament.

The timing for Ireland's game is a stinker. I'm going to do my best to catch it live but it will be tough. :pac:

Great opener to kick things off tomorrow and the game being on BBC 2 is a nice bonus. I'll record it and get to it later. I don't give the English much hope tbh as the Australia team looks amazing, even without Thurston, but if England could make a game of it that would be good for the tournament.

The timing for Ireland's game is a stinker. I'm going to do my best to catch it live but it will be tough. :pac:

Yeah, there aren't many time friendly games for us this side of the world. 4am is horrendous, they get marginally better though, 6am for PNG and 7.30am for Wales.

I'd give England about a 10% chance, Australia would need to cop a few dodgy whelks before the game though.

Early morning reminder bump.
    9am BBC 2 (or Eir Sports 2) Australia v England in opener for Rugby League World Cup.

Thought the officiating was pretty poor, no great surprise in the end result but England were much better in the 2nd half. Widdop and Gale were bit of a disappointment.

Edit: Just seen Sam Burgess could be out for the month.

Wasn't crazy about some of the decisions myself. I will give England credit as I thought in the second half they would be blown away but they were actually still in the contest for the most part. The Dugan try at the end put more of a gloss on the scoreline but that was a much more competitive game than I was expecting. Losing Burgess will be a blow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What an atmosphere in Port Moresby

Gonna be v difficult for our guys to beat PNG. Wales getting tonked here

Handy win for NZ earlier over Samoa. Fiji giving USA a right triming at the mo too. Lot of one sided games so far

KevIRL wrote: »
    Handy win for NZ earlier over Samoa. Fiji giving USA a right triming at the mo too. Lot of one sided games so far

Think there'll be a few more one sided games too. Haven't watched any of the games yet, but sounds like they went to form. USA look like they did better in the 2nd half going by the scoreboard.

• Advertisement

Much more worried about our chances after today. Hope we can give a good account of ourselves in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Aussies giving The game the big build up, good to see they have 7 coverage for the game ,come on the lads looking forward to this, boiling conditions in Cairns....
    didn't know Robbie Farah was playing for Lebanon and Brad Fittler managing

Dream start 12-0 after ten mins

20-6 up at ht, Italians given a very soft try towards the end of the half not got going at all full of errors in the phases, I'd imagine conditions will tell a story next half for us but we look good so far finn and Kay playing well

26-12 now. Italy got it back to 20-12 but another try for Ireland restored our advantage

Another try 32-12. Boys must be roasting over there

That try has deflated italy,from having 2/3 sets in the Irish end to defending their own line haven't recovered since, the Papa New Guinea game will be interesting watched yesterday morning great tries scored and a great atmosphere

Meanwhile Lebanon lead France 12-6 at HT

Last minute try and final score 36-12

• Advertisement

Absolutely buzzing after that, lads. Well worth setting the alarm for!

I feared the worst when it was all Italy early in the second half but that try from Amor steadied the nerves and knocked the stuffing out of Italy. The late try at the end was the icing on the cake. Finn was very good but a lot of players did well.

It's already an improvement on the last World Cup. Hopefully this win will get a good bit of mainstream coverage in the news today.

Advertisement