Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 T213a

Timetravel wrote: »
    Passed today aswell, definitely harder than it looks. Congrats to all the others that were there and got the pass. Was wondering if there was anyone from here at it lol

I tried to tell as many people as possible about this forum for the waiting process. Keeps you in the loop - a wee bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

I’m glad to say I passed my PCA! I hope everyone else passed as it was clear to the see the effort that was put in. Now get the medical form filled out, then on to what we’re grown pretty damn good at… more waiting. Good luck to anyone else who’s yet to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Plenty of info in here folks.

I would follow the advice of those that have completed and passed and ignore the armchair coaches who haven't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Homer01 wrote: »
    Plenty of info in here folks.

I would follow the advice of those that have completed and passed and ignore the armchair coaches who haven't :)
    Some really good information here, Will definitely be looking thorough here to gather every possible piece of advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maximise cardio and core strength, it will give you a nice base for building upper body and lower body strength. No point in being massive if you dont have the cardio to carry it plus body armour/stab vest, belt kit etc.

When on a rest day or busy make a point to go out for a walk in boots, much easier if you have a pupper lol, the boots aren't for fitness before people start slamming me. They are to get you feet used to them, because once your in that's what you'll be wearing for a minimum of 45 hrs a week lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cuckoo123

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but is anyone who has gone to PCA familiarisation able to say roughly how long it should take?

I'm getting out of work for it so trying to figure out whether to take annual leave or not.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Would leave a good couple hours for the familiarisation itself and time for travel to and from.

Cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

I took a day off just incase, was a good hour and a half each way travelling for me Cuckoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Just to chime in on this :)

Depending on where you're coming from it's at least half a day. You'll want a full day for the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

Depending on where you're coming from it's at least half a day. You'll want a full day for the real thing.

Shame my work declined my holiday request any ideas for me?

recruit099 wrote: »

Shame my work declined my holiday request any ideas for me?

They not even give you half a day? Doctors appointment time? Can you swap with someone if your on shifts? Take leave? I guess the cats out of the bag now so if you pull a sickie they will know what’s up.

I took a day off just incase, was a good hour and a half each way travelling for me Cuckoo

Thinking I might do that too if I can get it off as it's an hour each way for me.

Thanks everyone :) now just to pass the thing 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

cuckoo123 wrote: »

Thinking I might do that too if I can get it off as it's an hour each way for me.

Thanks everyone :) now just to pass the thing 🙈

Good luck you'll be grand !

Nah they said they can’t if I could get a half day it would be perfect I can try book an appointment for 12pm so I have proof of it then cancel?

It’s up to you buddy. If it’s what you want I wouldn’t let it slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TERRYFOLDS

Personally I would call in sick, I pulled out of the 1405 campaign assessment centre because work wouldn't give the time off that I needed for it, I tried to get delloite to rearrange it but they wouldn't do it. Just because you were refused time off doesn't mean coincidences can't happen with getting sick, they will likely be very suspicious about it etc but they can't claim you are a liar and discipline you. You are getting very close to a very rewarding career change. I was close to being refused time off for my medical, had that been refused I was going to be taking a few days to a week off sick out of spite. I'm not one for taking sick days usually by the way.
    You could do the pca without the familiarisation but I wouldn't recommend it as you really need to get a feel for the course.

TERRYFOLDS wrote: »
    Personally I would call in sick, I pulled out of the 1405 campaign assessment centre because work wouldn't give the time off that I needed for it, I tried to get delloite to rearrange it but they wouldn't do it. Just because you were refused time off doesn't mean coincidences can't happen with getting sick, they will likely be very suspicious about it etc but they can't claim you are a liar and discipline you. You are getting very close to a very rewarding career change. I was close to being refused time off for my medical, had that been refused I was going to be taking a few days to a week off sick out of spite. I'm not one for taking sick days usually by the way.
    You could do the pca without the familiarisation but I wouldn't recommend it as you really need to get a feel for the course.

I agree they approved my familiarisation day but not the actual so I’ll go sick for the week I’m not going to be anywhere near my work on the day so they can’t prove I’m not sick or I am sick

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TERRYFOLDS

Good luck

Good luck mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Hey guys,
    Just reading through all of this; Is the familiarisation course only for those who failed the first time, correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Nope. There is a general familiarisation session for everyone if you wish to attend

Is there a link to this or more information? I never knew this was a thing and would love to attend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Is there a link to this or more information? I never knew this was a thing and would love to attend
    It's only for people who have passed the A.C. already

NiK9 wrote: »
    So it is only for people who passed the A.C but have not yet completed their PCA? For example, I just applied on Monday with the 2017 recruitment, therefore I cannot go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

So it is only for people who passed the A.C but have not yet completed their PCA? For example, I just applied on Monday with the 2017 recruitment, therefore I cannot go?

Correct. I'm same as you, ive just applied too. If we pass IST and A.C. then our names will be passed to the PSNI to start the vetting, fitness and medical. Once our names are passed over we will be offered a date for PCA familiarisation.

Correct. I'm same as you, ive just applied too. If we pass IST and A.C. then our names will be passed to the PSNI to start the vetting, fitness and medical. Once our names are passed over we will be offered a date for PCA familiarisation.
    I getcha, in what form as we offered a date for PCA familiarisation? As in a letter or email? Idon'tt want to miss the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

Most things are through email except for vetting for which forms are posted out mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pecks123

Silly question but when they say 3 laps for the fitness test, is it 3 laps around the hall doing the obstacle course once or 3 times aswell as doing the obstacle course 3 times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Pecks123 wrote: »
    Silly question but when they say 3 laps for the fitness test, is it 3 laps around the hall doing the obstacle course once or 3 times aswell as doing the obstacle course 3 times
    It's 3 laps doing the obstacle course.

Advertisement