Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donncha O'Callaghan appreciation thread

Options
  • 24-10-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

All the best to Donncha O'Callaghan who is retiring after 20 seasons of professsional rugby! He was a mainstay for the Irish team for many years and earned a phenomenal haul of 94 caps. He still holds the record for most Munster appearances at 263.

5563361.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

FEA_20131204_LIF_028_29836410_I8.JPG

MunWinners.jpg

161421_54_news_hub_143821_656x500.jpg

343313-e1508833130938.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

luxura-reconditioned-sunbed-x7.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a midweek lions captain as well....

and a gentleman to boot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is he retiring?

Of all the most recent ex players he's by far one of the best for radio work. He was on Off the Ball last night and he does make good points and being able to make a joke is a big thing too.

Whether it's cos he's a new voice I dunno but a lot of recent ex players I do tend to write off pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is he retiring?

Of all the most recent ex players he's by far one of the best for radio work. He was on Off the Ball last night and he does make good points and being able to make a joke is a big thing too.

Whether it's cos he's a new voice I dunno but a lot of recent ex players I do tend to write off pretty quickly.

I find him very good at punditry in general. And he seems to have no problem being critical, but in a very professional way.

He'll be missed. Personally, I think he was dropped by Ireland a season or 2 early and was the in form lock in Ireland for sometime after. Shame he didn't hit the 100 caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He'll absolutely stroll into media work, imo. In fact, I'd say he could even have a career in media not related to rugby, if he fancied it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and a gentleman to boot
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    He'll absolutely stroll into media work, imo. In fact, I'd say he could even have a career in media not related to rugby, if he fancied it.

My wife dealt with him earlier this summer as part of her job and he was also giving a talk at the time. She said he was great fun and really held everyone's attention during his talk. She would have been vaguely aware of who he is but not his legend status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Going to be a part of Ireland's Fittest Family this series and I assume plenty more media work to follow. Shame to see his retire, but he's put in a good shift and was still putting in performances over with Worcester Warriors.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Respect. Model pro. Great spirit. Really got the best out of himself, and I mean that in the best way. Master of the unseen unglamourous work. Forever part of the Golden Era of Munster rugby, and a non too shabby international record.
    Cheers Dunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As he said himself, it's his choice not a necessity forced on him, which is always a good thing. He has always seemed like a very likeable guy off the pitch and perhaps given his partner in crime, a little under rated on it. Hope the rest of this season goes well for him and he gets to retire on his terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That he holds the record for the most number of caps for Munster and has gone on to play another 3 years beyond that (captaining Worcester in his final year) shows just how good a pro the guy is. Seems like a decent bloke and a right character too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Absolutely a legend.

It was great fun watching him and Aki squaring up to each other last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Best of luck to him. He used to live close by to my Dad's place in Cork and he'd always have a chat.

He'd be a good choice for the punditry too, makes some clear, concise, well thought out points. Sky and BT wouldn't know what to do with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

razorblunt wrote: »
    He'd be a good choice for the punditry too, makes some clear, concise, well thought out points. Sky and BT wouldn't know what to do with him!!

Has already been on with them. Wasn't bad but very nervy...worth persisting with.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My kids think he's hilarious, after his stint on kids tv. They'd spot him a mile away since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Buer wrote: »
    Has already been on with them. Wasn't bad but very nervy...worth persisting with.

Understandable, to be fair.
    BOD was a mess when he first started too, must be a tough gig to get used, especially being in front of the camera, rather than co-comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have heard DOC on the radio and he's pretty good imo. Definitely some potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Great to see we have some real young talent coming through in our media academies. A few years ago we wouldn't have survived without flying in Kiwis like Brent Pope. Probably worth considering lowering our quota for NIQ media staff soon with the way we're going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's prob one of the few, if not only, players to block a conversion attempt in the last 10 years :D

Advertisement