Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy Sat Dish and Receiver in Waterford

Options
  • 22-10-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Where would one buy a new dish and receiver in Waterford?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Toner would have them, but are quite pricey. The likes of Kellihers and trade Electric would also stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Not sure if you want a bricks and mortar option locally but I've used http://www.satellite.ie/ in the past and found them good.

Pretty sure Willie Foran would supply them as well but never looked for him to do so:

https://www.goldenpages.ie/w-f-installations-mooncoin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Thanks all I think I've found what I'm looking for in CEF, I want to upgrade an old system that i actually bought in BnQ years ago, rusted to bejesus now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Just wondering do people need dishes still these days? Can you not get the required channels over broadband?

I always think the dishes look terrible stuck on the side of houses and apartments. They always rust and rust stain runs down the side the buildings walls. They are rarely taken down even if they are not used anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just wondering do people need dishes still these days? Can you not get the required channels over broadband?

Do you think everybody has sufficient broadband speed to provide multiple users with TV?

Do you think it is good fiscal management to pay for something every month that is freely available like the majority of TV channels available from a satellite dish?

Some of us, at least, have other things we would like to do with our short supply of money.
    I always think the dishes look terrible stuck on the side of houses and apartments. They always rust and rust stain runs down the side the buildings walls. They are rarely taken down even if they are not used anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Sorry I dont watch much TV myself. Might catch a show online or a movie over the weekend. I would have thought an android box or the like might work in place of a Satellite dish? Was not aware of the multiple viewing options. I thought Waterford City broadband speeds were relatively good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I suppose the key thing here is that for a one off satellite dish installation cost plus a saorview aerial you get enough channels to suit a lot of people.

An android box is generally a source of illegal streams so not something everyone is keen on.

Any legal IPTV/Netflix options have an ongoing cost.

From a broadband perspective we only have a 2mb line and can watch both Sky Go and Setanta Go without difficulty. Tried IPTV before and didn't work so well as I'm guessing Sky's / BT's servers are a bit more advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm not sold on streaming technology yet as far as I can see, delay is still a problem, for me anyway, but it does come in handy from time to time. What are legal iptv services such as eir and Vodafone like on things such as delay? I think cable and satellite still has a place for the moment for some people's viewing needs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sorry I dont watch much TV myself. Might catch a show online or a movie over the weekend. I would have thought an android box or the like might work in place of a Satellite dish? Was not aware of the multiple viewing options. I thought Waterford City broadband speeds were relatively good.

In this household there could be 5 people watching 5 different channels on various devices such as TV, laptop, desktop PC, tablet, phone etc.

All of those are received from a Sat dish and/or Saorview aerial.
    There is no subscription to be paid monthly.
    Those channels include eir sports via Satellite as well as Freesports and all the BBC, ITV, Ch 4 & Ch 5 etc etc.

Broadcast TV is by no means dead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I do agree with the wan saying they look cat on the side of houses, but even sky wont go up past half way point on houses anymore for insurance reasons.

But what can ye do.

I think TV is a load of crap anyway for what we pay for, if you can get free to air TV then by all means!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement