Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homemade Christmas gift ideas/advice/your work/etc?

• 17-10-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!
    I just started this thread because somebody commented that their wasn't one.
    Please share your ideas or look for advice or if you spot anything in the shops that might be useful.
    It might be hampers/baking/crafts/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks freshpopcorn

came across these on Boots website
    Spa in a jar or make your own Beauty Christmas cracker see below

http://www.boots.ie/how-tos/how-to-make-a-spa-in-a-jar
    http://www.boots.ie/how-tos/how-to-m...istmas-cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

For anyone making up their own hampers, Euro Giant (the €2 shop) have rectangular baskets complete with plastic wrap and ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

For anyone making up their own hampers, Euro Giant (the €2 shop) have rectangular baskets complete with plastic wrap and ribbons.

Thanks they are on my list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

I like the homemade hamper ideas on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kruganomics

Hi, I have just made a personalised game of Guess Who using pictures of my family members instead of the game characters. It was really easy. I just used Microsoft Word, scaled the pictures to size and printed three copies- one for each player's board and one for the 'choose a character' pile, then swapped them with the cards that came with the original game. Printed photographs would make for a better quality game but I thought it would be easier size wise to do it this way! Will go down a treat I'm sure! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What a great idea! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think I'm going to do some batch baking in the run up to Christmas and give the family a gift box of sweets each. I always struggle to come up with gift ideas, but on the back of the Rice Krispie Christmas trees in the baking thread, and some white chocolate covered oreo and cream cheese balls I saw the other day, I'm thinking it's a better investment than the usual tat.

Thanks for the EuroGiant basket recommendation, I reckon those'll do just the trick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    I like the homemade hamper ideas on this site.

Lovely ideas. I really like the Night before Christmas one.
    I made a Night Before Christmas box last year for my nieces and nephews and they loved it - just added new PJs, some hot choc & marshmallows, a Christmas story book and some stickers. Oh and a christmas movie!

d5eb07db25a71ae8f981561f5ea04820.jpg
    wnolan1992 wrote:
    I think I'm going to do some batch baking in the run up to Christmas and give the family a gift box of sweets each. I always struggle to come up with gift ideas, but on the back of the Rice Krispie Christmas trees in the baking thread, and some white chocolate covered oreo and cream cheese balls I saw the other day, I'm thinking it's a better investment than the usual tat.

I did this one year and surprisingly my family really liked it. I got some lovely gift cookie boxes from Homestore & More and made some biscuits.
    This year hopefully if I have time, I'll make some brownies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I did this one year and surprisingly my family really liked it. I got some lovely gift cookie boxes from Homestore & More and made some biscuits.
    This year hopefully if I have time, I'll make some brownies.

I actually didn't go for the baskets because I was ordering some stuff from Amazon and came across these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J4TE7N4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I thought were reasonable enough! :)

Will report back on whether they're actually good or not, but I'm thinking of trying to do like a homemade selection box of 5 or 6 totally different sweets and treats, all wrapped up in nice paper and laid out in one of these boxes.

The best thing about this idea, IMO, is that it appears on the surface to be a really thoughtful gift, but in reality I just can't be bothered getting individual gifts so making 7 of these boxes is just waaaay less hassle. :D

The night before Christmas hamper is a really nice idea. My niece is a bit young at the moment (newborn) so I'll be putting that idea in the pile for future years. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Available in Aldi from the 12th November!(Sorry about image quality)

23167893_1710634718969748_7717005224262678610_n.jpg?oh=abcda228828363ff97df2c4bf87d027b&oe=5A762E0C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Has anyone seen Christmas Mugs about? I want to get one for our box

Has anyone seen Christmas Mugs about? I want to get one for our box

This is at my local Tesco but it's a little expensive.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dealz has Christmas mugs, and you’d probably get one in Penneys too.

Heatons have good novelty mugs star wars/hulk/minions/etc but they aren't Christmas themed more novelty gifts!

I saw these mugs in Dunnes Today. They are solid plastic and are €3.

23032705_1711569882209565_4324867167750168982_n.jpg?oh=9b90baa5f3d4e1b83b27698744b3d92c&oe=5AAAF008

23130954_1711568262209727_6580509843441781582_n.jpg?oh=106d9df8a49bdbd47cdd3f193d485ec4&oe=5A6F954A

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Those mugs are mega cute!

Advertisement