Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MATCH THREAD: Glasgow vs Leinster; Scotstoun Sat 21st Oct 13:00; SS Action

• 20-10-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭

rsz_inpho_01276971.jpg

OFF TO A GOOD START...

Having gone into the game against Montpellier last week nervous about our European season ending before it even began it was fantastic to see Leinster come out with maximum points. It was an incredibly tough encounter with a very nervy finish, but with a number of experienced players missing a lot of younger lads stepped up to the mark. This week Leinster welcome back Scott Fardy, Jonny Sexton and Dan Leavy to their match day squad. Three guys very capable of having a big impact on proceedings. They come up against a Glasgow side who suffered their first loss of the season last week away to Exeter. They'll be keen to make amends for that and to keep their European campaign on track (they didn't even manage to pick up a LBP against the Chiefs) and we all know that you have to win your home games in this competition. Lose this and Glasgow could be all but out of the running already.

Looking through the respective squads and Leinster would appear to have the better pack and the better half backs. The Glasgow back three looks very threatening, although this will be Stuart Hoggs first game in 5 months so there may be some rustiness there from him. Regardless this is one area where Glasgow have a very clear advantage. On the bench Leinster have some serious impact to bring on up front. Gibson-Park put in a good shift off the bench last week while Ross Byrne was one of those who really stepped up against Montpellier. His defensive work alone was impressive and he seems to be growing into the role at a steady pace. I'd have it as advantage Leinster here too.

Leinster haven't won in Glasgow since 2012 and since then the Scottish side have improved a great deal. Leinster will need to dominate this game up front and use the quick linespeed we saw against Munster to shut down the wider channels. If games really are won by forwards then Leinster should be looking to take the win. But in Scotstoun, on that surface against a very good Glasgow team it is going to be difficult. I'm backing Henshaw to have another big game and VDF to put in a MOTM type performance though. We may not score a whole load of tries and the game may be on a knife edge for the majority, but I think this Leinster selection has enough in it to get the result.

Leinster by 2.
    18.gif
    |
    20.gif

01. Jamie Bhatti|01. Cian Healy
    02. George Turner|02. Sean Cronin
    03. Zander Fagerson|03. Tadgh Furlong
    04. Tim Swinson|04. Devin Toner
    05. Jonny Gray|05. Scott Fardy
    06. Ryan Wilson|06. Rhys Ruddock
    07. Callum Gibbins|07. Josh van der Flier
    08. Adam Ashe|08. Jack Conan
    |
    09. Ali Price|09. Luke McGrath
    10. Finn Russell|10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Leonardo Sarto|11. Barry Daly
    12. Peter Horne|12. Noel Reid
    13. Sam Johnson|13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Tommy Seymour|14. Fergus McFadden
    15. Stuart Hogg|15. Joey Carbery
    |
    16. Pat MacArthur|16. James Tracy
    17. Alex Allan|17. Jack McGrath
    18. D'Arcy Rae|18. Michael Bent
    19. Scott Cummings|19. James Ryan
    20. Rob Harley|20. Dan Leavy
    21. Henry Pyrgos|21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Nick Grigg|22. Ross Byrne
    23. Lee Jones|23. Dave Kearney

Referee: Jerome Garces

Who are you backing? 25 votes

Glasgow
    0% 0 votes
    Leinster
    16% 4 votes
    Where's Leone?
    84% 21 votes

Comments

molloyjh wrote: »
    20.gif
    |
    17.gif

|
    |

We're playing an Edinburgh side that looks very Leinsterish. Mad that.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fantasic edinburgh team !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wow, didn't realise it's 2012 since we last won there. Jonny could be in for a rough night.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Bit harsh on their halfbacks. I think Price and Russell work well together, should be the Scottish halfbacks too with Laidlaw out.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't realise it's 2012 since we last won there. Jonny could be in for a rough night.

When was the last time we sent a full strength team? We sent the kids this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

20.gif
    |
    17.gif

|
    |

c1a39c9092eb11fa2efd4d9f2eda139c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't buy into the not winning in Scotstoun too much.

We've never been at full strength against them and it's always been close affairs.

Last season we gift wrapped a few tries for Seymour in Bombers first game with Leinster.

This team has the pedigree to win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

But before that he has to play against Glasgow at 1PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That table would fetch a packet on the antiques roadshow. Collectors item.

In other news Molloy is detoxing in bray Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Off to a good start and then we got the table.

As everyone has said, if the pack gets on top, we should be able to win this one. As for the 2012 thing, we should have one easily last year, had we not gone asleep and coughed up soft tries to Seymour. If we turn up like last week, we are more than capeable of getting a result here. won't be a try bonus point win for sure but a victory none the less.

• Advertisement

Venjur wrote: »
    When was the last time we sent a full strength team? We sent the kids this time last year.

Since I didn't know we hadn't won there since 2012, I am hardly going to know when we last sent a full team!

Since I didn't know we hadn't won there since 2012, I am hardly going to know when we last sent a full team!

Before lunch is over would you go and look it up and report back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I clearly need to be put out to match preview pasture at this stage. :o

Venjur wrote: »
    Before lunch is over would you go and look it up and report back?

I still can't imagine a world where I could only go on the Internet at certain times in the day..... Christ I'd get so much done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I clearly need to be put out to match preview pasture at this stage. :o

I always thought you were a closet Edinburgh fan. Must be a relieve to get that burden off your shoulders. It’s sad in this day and age that some parts of the forum will look at you now in a different light. Now if you’d said Munster, well there are some things that are not easily forgotten or overlooked.

shamehead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Spent way too long trying to format a table of the teams we've put out against them over the last 4 years. Not worth it ha

Suffice to say this is the strongest team we have sent out in recent years by a clear margin (although last years team was pretty good)

Previous 4 losses in Scotstoun have been with decent teams but always a good chunk of inexperience.

For reference, here are some of the players that lined out against Glasgow in Scotstoun:

- Ben Marshall
    - Lote Tuquiri
    - Cathal Marsh
    - Tom Denton
    - Ian Madigan at fullback
    - A very young Jordi Murphy
    - A very young Luke McGrath

Last time Johnny played in Scotstoun was 2012 in the Heineken Cup... we won (I think he also came off injured)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭scott1974

I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking but I'm wondering if fatigue might set in a bit for Glasgow tomorrow.
    The reason being is that they sent a full strength team down to S.A. to play the Cheetahs (a game they won in the last minute) and last weekend they got arm-wrestled.
    So this will be three high intensity games with little rotation.
    I know it's a professional era but I'm wondering (hoping) if that might be a factor..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

shamehead.gif

You posting an NFL meme? You must be really down.

I can't even do that right today!

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

Molloy needs a hug from Mike Ross. Mike don't come cheap though. Should we get a kickstarter going?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's kind of appropriate to failure in a rugby context though, if you think about it.

Last time Johnny played in Scotstoun was 2012 in the Heineken Cup... we won (I think he also came off injured)

Certainly a good omen there (if we can win... and I hope Johnny doesn't come off injured... although I am growingly increasingly confident of Manitoba at 10... and yes I am trying to get that one to stick)

Certainly a good omen there (if we can win... and I hope Johnny doesn't come off injured... although I am growingly increasingly confident of Manitoba at 10... and yes I am trying to get that one to stick)

Meh, I find he is predictable and almost boring to watch, would rather read about Canadian provinces instead of watching him at out-half.

FZOXhL6.png

Or as Molloy would say:

uma2mpw.png

His nickname is so going to be Edinburgh now :pac:

So Scotland have just suspended John Hardie.... Who plays for Edinburgh....

John Hardie....

The same day molloyJH "accidentally" posts the Edinburgh logo??

Something well dodge going on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Edinbyrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

This is the probably the easiest away game in the group and, while a perfect home record might be enough, we need to win one to give us a good chance of qualifying. It's a strong pack but Reid is a potential defensive weak link. Ferg is more defensively robust than Byrne but he's prone to the odd lapse too, and he's not exactly fleet of foot. On the plus side, it's good to see Leavy back on the bench, and will be interesting to see Henshaw get another run at 13. We will hopefully have enough quality to win, but they're a strong, cohesive team that will be smarting after last week. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement