Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

People seem quick to slate Iron Fist, but I find the character a lot more complex than Jones and Murdock....have only watched 3 episodes of Defenders...and have to admit I'm liking it so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Iron Fist's problem is its lead unfortunately, both for legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

In regards to the latter, once social media decided that whitewashing had occurred even though it hadn't, a lot of people were set on slating Finn and the show regardless of performance.

But the killer is just that, his performance. Finn Jones is an ok actor but he's not a lead in any way, shape or form. It's criminal that the most memorable character in my mind was the drunk dude with mad skills who had what, not even 5 mins of screen time?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Iron Fist's problem is its lead unfortunately, both for legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

In regards to the latter, once social media decided that whitewashing had occurred even though it hadn't, a lot of people were set on slating Finn and the show regardless of performance.

But the killer is just that, his performance. Finn Jones is an ok actor but he's not a lead in any way, shape or form. It's criminal that the most memorable character in my mind was the drunk dude with mad skills who had what, not even 5 mins of screen time?)

This is a perfect summarisation of why Iron Fist didn't land.

It's criminal that the most memorable character in my mind was the drunk dude with mad skills who had what, not even 5 mins of screen time?)

That guy actually auditioned for the Iron Fist role.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewis-tan-marvel-iron-fist-interview.html

He would have been great. Really can't understand the thinking behind casting Finn. Between him and Henwick you'd swear they just decided to raid GoT alumni for their two leads.

I could understand if part of the process for auditioning was to test with Colter but even in that unlikely case, Jones and Colter only had likeable chemistry at best.

• Advertisement

Yeah. They really missed a trick here. Not only would it have appeased the "pc" brigade, but clearly he was a more charismatic and engaging actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Overall a good story but Jessica is probably the one I'm least interested in going forward at the moment.

This threw me but I then I read the rest of your post. (Although I'd still put JJ above Cage, myself)
    So it's Iron Fist next and then the defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This threw me but I then I read the rest of your post. (Although I'd still put JJ above Cage, myself)

Yeah I don't know. I think JJ had probably the best villain of all the shows I've seen so far but now he's gone, a big piece of what made her season interesting is gone. David Tennant was brilliant.

Kilgrave's death was very underwhelming at least to me and I'm not so sure JJ will have a foe as interesting as that again(very little knowledge of JJ on my part though). Feels like the show peaked. So going forward I'm not that excited currently for whatever is next for her.

But to be fair I'm saying this before watching the defenders so it could all change. Cage can be a bit dull as a character at times alright.

I think Ritter can carry another Season of JJ no problem. For me she really was one of the highlights of The Defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I definitley think Jones was the problem in Iron Fist, Watched him in Leather Face recently and jesus he wasn't even close to the level of the other actors (some unknown) and I was willing him to die throughout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I definitley think Jones was the problem in Iron Fist, Watched him in Leather Face recently and jesus he wasn't even close to the level of the other actors (some unknown) and I was willing him to die throughout

It really didn't help that he was cast quite late and didn't have a lot of time to rehearse fights and stuff. The fight scenes for the first half of the season at least were some of the worst I've seen. Jump cuts galore and he just constantly looked like he knew where the next hit was coming from and was waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I disagree. I can't comment on why he is like as an actor because the only other thing I've seen if him is Game of Thrones ad it was a very small role.

The problem in Iron Fist is the writing of Danny Rand. He was just all over the place - first he was calm and centred, then a pouting money grabbing child and then suddenly he has an explosive temper.

Danny is supposed to be calm and focused. Nothing wrong with him getting angry but it has to make sense and not be an over reaction.

He was good in the first episode but just went downhill. He continued to be a pain until I watched episode 4 & 5 of The Defenders last night. The temper only appeared once and his interactions with the others were exactly how he should be.

I think Ritter can carry another Season of JJ no problem. For me she really was one of the highlights of The Defenders.

I'd say more than one more season.
    I was disappointed to see that Tennant is also returning for Season Two. Dead characters should remain dead sometimes no mater how fun they are.

I'm hoping Kilgrave is simply a recurring nightmare or an hallucination of some sort. I'd prefer Jessica to face new villains.

I was disappointed to see that Tennant is also returning for Season Two. Dead characters should remain dead sometimes no mater how fun they are.

I'm hoping Kilgrave is simply a recurring nightmare or an hallucination of some sort. I'd prefer Jessica to face new villains.

What?

I do usually agree that a dead character should stay dead but in this case I think there's much more to come.

They obviously knew that a mistake was made killing him that early. But any subsequent deaths or defeating of the character will be lessened now.

It has the potential to be very good news for the series though imo. It certainly has increased my interest going forward.

What?

I do usually agree that a dead character should stay dead but in this case I think there's much more to come.

They obviously knew that a mistake was made killing him that early. But any subsequent deaths or defeating of the character will be lessened now.

It has the potential to be very good news for the series though imo. It certainly has increased my interest going forward.

I meant to put that under a spoiler tag.

He is a great character and it was a first rate performance but that doesn't mean he should be a recurring character. And too many resurrections can spoil the fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Even in the comics Killgrave has a healing factor as part of his purple powers :D

I knew watching it snapping his neck wasn't gonna do him in.

I see
    Iron Fist
    is going to make an appearance in Luke Cage S2. I hope they are setting up a
    heroes for hire
    story arc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kerplun k wrote: »
    I see
    Iron Fist
    is going to make an appearance in Luke Cage S2. I hope they are setting up a
    heroes for hire
    story arc.

This is the logical thing to do with him tbh. His character needs some working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Punisher premiere postponed after the Las Vegas shootings.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/10/05/netflix-reportedly-postpones-punisher-premiere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Punisher premiere postponed after the Las Vegas shootings.

Even before Las Vegas I was thinking that the current climate isn't the best for a show about a white, ex-military male who dishes out his own version of Justice using extreme violence. Like he's not like other vigilantes in that he actually kills people and what with the rise of white supremacy in the states it just didn't sit right.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying The Punishers shouldn't have been made and it's not like gun violence isn't promoted all over the media but the Punisher feels very on the nose at the moment. I'll still watch it when it does come out.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Even before Las Vegas I was thinking that the current climate isn't the best for a show about a white, ex-military male who dishes out his own version of Justice using extreme violence. Like he's not like other vigilantes in that he actually kills people and what with the rise of white supremacy in the states it just didn't sit right.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying The Punishers shouldn't have been made and it's not like gun violence isn't promoted all over the media but the Punisher feels very on the nose at the moment. I'll still watch it when it does come out.

Yep. It's totally the right call to delay it. It shouldn't be viewed as anything other than simple entertainment, but due to recent events, it would be inappropriate to air it now. Its a sensible and respectable move from Netflix, and one that takes the "common sense" factor into account. It will do the show absolutely no harm to air at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yep. It's totally the right call to delay it. It shouldn't be viewed as anything other than simple entertainment, but due to recent events, it would be inappropriate to air it now. Its a sensible and respectable move from Netflix, and one that takes the "common sense" factor into account. It will do the show absolutely no harm to air at a later date.

Plus they hadn't actually revealed what the airdate was anyway, so it's not like they have to pull a bunch of advertising or anything.

Penn wrote: »
    Plus they hadn't actually revealed what the airdate was anyway, so it's not like they have to pull a bunch of advertising or anything.

It was going to premiere at this weekend at New York Comic Con and get dropped on Netflix straight after it.

Lots will be said but they made the right choice for me in the same way The USA Network did last year delaying the premiere of Shooter after another mass shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

But will they sort out gun laws ....probably not , I get where people are coming from I do , but i also think its a little silly that a fictitious tv show gets targetted (pardon the pun) when some thing real world happens and noting real world is done about it

I would hope the show can still be judged on merit when it does premiere instead of becoming a pawn in any political agenda.

Plus, it's not like Frank Castle has been glorified in any way. He is clearly a fcuked up individual and was portrayed as same in Daredevil Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks .. ok.. ish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

very on the ish

• Advertisement

I've watched 3 episodes of Iron Fist and it's not interesting me in the slightest.

Is there anything in the defenders I'll be confused by if I drop Iron Fist now? I presume I pretty much know what his character is about at this stage?

Advertisement