Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic cars for young drivers

• 09-10-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all all , I am 18 have full license and I am in to my cars. The long and the short of it is i want to get a classic or vintage car something like a w124 or carina 2 , now I understand I will not be able to get vintage insurance but will I be able to get insurance at all is my question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Insurance is an absolute nightmare. I couldn't insure mine so I left my classic car in storage until I turn 25 and can get classic insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Everyone in theory is insurable unless you have been put off the road ie penalty points then legally insurance companies won't insure you etc . Even people with endorsements and whatever, have to be insurable it's the question of how much you can afford to pay for it . Ring brokers they will probably be your best bet for help or info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd say you'll have to suffer a few years drive 1 litre runabouts. Even then you'll be paying an arm and a leg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The_Bull wrote: »
    but will I be able to get insurance at all is my question

Yes. Under the Declined Case Agreement. Three knockbacks and they have to quote. Premium won't be pretty mind, so unless you're a billionaire playboy, I'd put the idea on ice for a bit.

http://www.dttas.ie/roads/english/motor-insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The_Bull

Isambard wrote: »
    I'd say you'll have to suffer a few years drive 1 litre runabouts. Even then you'll be paying an arm and a leg.

Already doing that in a corsa sadly , all I could afford at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The_Bull wrote: »
    Already doing that in a corsa sadly , all I could afford at the time

It's what almost all of use had to do too. It's crap, but you just have to suck it up. Just build up a few years no claims bonus and things will look a lot brighter

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The_Bull

unkel wrote: »
    It's what almost all of use had to do too. It's crap, but you just have to suck it up. Just build up a few years no claims bonus and things will look a lot brighter

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's a nightmare unfortunately and the sole reason I lost my series 1 Land Rover.
    I wouldn't mind only the majority of young classic car enthusiasts tend not to be of the boy racer virety and it's crazy how many young fellas you see driving around in powerful RWD Japanese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's a nightmare unfortunately and the sole reason I lost my series 1 Land Rover.
    I wouldn't mind only the majority of young classic car enthusiasts tend not to be of the boy racer virety and it's crazy how many young fellas you see driving around in powerful RWD Japanese cars.

Everyone knows those powerful Japanese cars belong to their parents and the young lads are only using them to go to the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Everyone knows those powerful Japanese cars belong to their parents and the young lads are only using them to go to the shops

My one belongs to me (2 turbos I'll have you know) and whilst I do go to the local shop to get green diesel in drums, I do like to drive it with the roof removed when it's warm enough outside.

No problems insuring it either as my 27 year old self... With FBD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

I would check out Axa, they offer classic policies but there are mileage caps. I don't know if this would work for you though.
    I have some old Fiats so the mileage caps never bothered me as I'd be broken down long before I hit the cap!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Axa won't touch an 18 yr old and will require a main car before issuing a classic policy.

Advertisement