Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rip Screen 1 the savoy

• 11-10-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Rang today to book Star Wars. They said they were closing screen one for renovations in December. That implies they're splitting it. Feeling super super sad about it. So many memories and for me hands down the greatest screen in Dublin. The ushers of the original savoy were great. It really feels like another piece of Dublins history has been eroded. It always felt like a real cinema experience. Thankfully saw blade runner there. That'll be my last there. Looks like the empire has won this one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

tony stark wrote: »
    That implies they're splitting it.

Jumping to conclusions, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They're splitting screen two not screen one last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Did they implicitly say it was being split up or is it just you adding one and one up and getting 50?

They could be just sprucing it up.

david75 wrote: »
    They're splitting screen two not screen one last I heard.

They already split Screen 2 last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Screen 1 is need of renovation. They could easily lose some of the seats (many of which provide a terrible view of the screen or even partially block the views of seats behind them) without reducing the size of the screen itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. I hope I am. Imagine the loss of cash though from closing at Christmas. Would January not make more sense to close or post oscar season. I heard from someone that it was on the cards after screen 2 but that could be hearsay. I personally think yeah they should remove the crap side seats but I actually like the rest of the decor. If anyone gets any answers let us know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hard to believe that they will split the biggest screen in Ireland. They will no longer get the celebrity Premiers. Vue in liffey valley have two screens only inches smaller than the savoy. All the movie premiers will go there instead. Can't believe they are willing to loose this business

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hard to believe that they will split the biggest screen in Ireland. They will no longer get the celebrity Premiers. Vue in liffey valley have two screens only inches smaller than the savoy. All the movie premiers will go there instead. Can't believe they are willing to loose this business

Do you know for sure that's what they're doing? The OP is just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Passenger wrote:
    Do you know for sure that's what they're doing? The OP is just speculating.

No. I'm just responding to the Op.

I have a free pass to the Savoy Twins. I've never used it but it must be from the 60s. It's my pride and joy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just listening to the radio there and apparently it's being split . They said 5 smaller screens. Would there be room for 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Just listening to the radio there and apparently it's being split . They said 5 smaller screens. Would there be room for 5?

That's sad to hear tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That's a real shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's the only source i can find for this:

http://www.98fm.com/End-Of-An-Era-As-Savoy-Closes-Screen-1

IMC originally said the screen size would stay the same, whether that's still the plan I don't know, but I suppose they could split it into one 1 large cinema and 4 small ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMC are pretty ruthless when it comes to 'maximising' screen space, by the way, so this wouldn't massively surprise me even if five sounds like a crazy amount.

There is - or at least was last time I was there - a newish screen in IMC Dun Laoghaire which is pretty much a wooden box shoved in the space between the escalators and the main screen.

Some of the smaller screens in Savoy are already incredibly small - so much so they actually charge less for the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I actually really like that one especially tiny screen in the savoy - its so small they dont even seem to advertise the film on it on the board.
    I would think a nice refurb of screen 1 would make more sense than splitting it into multiple small screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some of the smaller screens in Savoy are already incredibly small - so much so they actually charge less for the tickets.

Vue have tiny little theatres now too . I was pleasantly surprised when I took the young lad to see wonder woman one midweek afternoon and we were in a screen with about 5 rows of 10 seats or so. Have a real private cinema feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

The smaller screens get the less likely I am to go to the cinema to be honest.

IMC say nothing is final yet but they would like to split it into between 3 and 5 screens. They have also repeated their earlier claim that the screen size of 1 will stay the same.

http://www.thejournal.ie/savoy-screen-one-3645708-Oct2017/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

oh that's a real shame, I love going into Savoy 1 on a quiet afternoon

does anyone have that diagram of the 3 biggest screens, Savoy 1, "IMAX" and Vue comparing the sizes?

Skerries wrote: »
    oh that's a real shame, I love going into Savoy 1 on a quiet afternoon

does anyone have that diagram of the 3 biggest screens, Savoy 1, "IMAX" and Vue comparing the sizes?

I gathered this together a few years ago. Some of it is out of date now or possibly wrong to begin with. And just because screen x is bigger than screen y doesn't mean a film projected on x will be bigger. It depends on the aspect ratio of the film and how much of the screen is useable. Some cinema screens are "scope" (i.e. very wide and the curtains pull back for 2.35:1 films), while others are flat (like a tv screen and 2.35:1 films are letterboxed).

Savoy 1 - 21.4 x 6.8 m (if this is correct most of the width is obviously unused, even for scope films)
    Screen 17/IMAX in Cineworld - previously 17.1 x 7.3 m, current "IMAX" dimensions unknown (they expanded it a bit and it’s now flat not scope)
    iSense Odeon Point Village - 17.6 x 8.8m
    Mahon Point/OmniMaxx - 21 x 8 m (Not sure about these, the site says this screen is flat - is it?)
    Ster Century/Vue in Liffey Valley - 195 square metres, exact dimensions unknown but probably at least 19 metres wide and flat like all Vue screens
    Rathmines/OmniMaxx - 19 x 8 m

Vue was renovated a while ago and I'm not sure that screen 1 is still the old screen 1. It's 3D now in any case (2D films are filtered), but screens 3 and 6 are probably just as large.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Ah I'm just gutted now. People will stay in the burbs now for the cinema, I used to go into town specifically for the savoy. I suppose if I'm being honest it died when they sold it to the current owner. Would some sort of signed petition help or would we be brushing water uphill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I swear this has nothing to do with me

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

That's a pity if true. I saw some great movies there over the years, not least Star Wars in the Christmas of 1977.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For certain films, the only place to do them justice was Savoy One. For most releases the suburban multiplexes are grand, unless the film is good enough to merit a second viewing on the proper big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

Myself and the lads got a nasty surprise last year when we went to Rogue One in screen 2 and discovered it had been vastly reduced in size when we arrived. I heard shortly afterwards that they were proposing to split up screen 1 as well. I'll have to catch Blade Runner 2049 again while it's still in screen one so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I used to work in the Savoy myself. Know people still there. It's definitely being split, just a matter of when they finally pull the plug on it. I'm told next month.

givyjoe wrote: »
    I used to work in the Savoy myself. Know people still there. It's definitely being split, just a matter of when they finally pull the plug on it. I'm told next month.

Are they splitting it into two equal sized screens or what, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe thats very sad to hear. Why can,t they just leave it alone and just take some seats out. I have also seen some greats films there like Star Trek, Deadpool. Thor, Captain America, Star Wars etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement