Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corney keg -- no forced carbonation?

Options
  • 30-08-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of getting a corney keg as my King Keg is prone to the odd air leak if the washer gets crimped even slightly. I was just wondering if these kegs can be carbonated with priming sugar and left to carbonate naturally without the need for an external Co2 tank. Or rather if carbonation does occur naturally would it be sufficient to allow beer to be drawn out of the keg with a line/tap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Neine, gas would be needed. You could go cask with a beer engine but you might as well get gas then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

RasTa wrote: »
    Neine, gas would be needed. You could go cask with a beer engine but you might as well get gas then.

Righto. Probably take the plunge then. Do you know if there is an appreciable difference if the beer is aged in the keg vs force carbonation and drinking more or less immediately?

mordeith wrote: »
    Righto. Probably take the plunge then. Do you know if there is an appreciable difference if the beer is aged in the keg vs force carbonation and drinking more or less immediately?

No not really. I would usually carb it over 5 or so days at about 12psi. I wouldn't buy a keg without a fridge to keep it in for serving. I've gone back to bottling for the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sabrewolfe

No not really. I would usually carb it over 5 or so days at about 12psi. I wouldn't buy a keg without a fridge to keep it in for serving. I've gone back to bottling for the meantime.

Im still fairly new to having corny kegs. If you don't mind me asking when your force carbing do you use a carbonation stone and keep the gas connected for 5 days at 12psi whilst the keg is in the fridge?

sabrewolfe wrote: »
    Im still fairly new to having corny kegs. If you don't mind me asking when your force carbing do you use a carbonation stone and keep the gas connected for 5 days at 12psi whilst the keg is in the fridge?

I've never used a carbonation stone or force carbed a keg. I leave it at about 12psi for a week or so. I've no fridge so have gone back to bottling.

Anyway internet is saying
    you do realise you can do this method a lot faster. instead of every 30 minutes do it every 10 seconds. I can carbonate a 19L corny in 5 minutes 40secs at about 30psi. Run the gas for 9 seconds, then purge for 1 second. and conntinue that for 5 mins 40 seconds. (that was my sweet spot for my particular brew). Then leave it in the fridge for an hour or so to settle, and walla. Done. Definitely use a 0.5 micron stone for the smaller bubble

I don't need my beer carbonated in 5mins if you do try above method.

• Advertisement

I've no fridge so have gone back to bottling.

Is this just a consideration in terms of consumption of the beer or is it a requirement for kegging?

mordeith wrote: »
    Is this just a consideration in terms of consumption of the beer or is it a requirement for kegging?

Bit of both, I wouldn't bother serving an IPA at 20c from the keg during the summer.

Actually don't start kegging without a fridge.

Bit of both, I wouldn't bother serving an IPA at 20c from the keg during the summer.

Actually don't start kegging without a fridge.

You said you went back to bottling. I stopped because it was a time consuming hassle. Bear in mind I have no bottling equipment per se. What is your setup and do you miss the relative ease of kegging a batch rather than bottling?

Yeah I hate bottling. However it's better having cold beers in the fridge. Bottling setup is basic bottling wand and batch priming.

Advertisement