Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emergency accommodation in Galway (for the homeless)

• 10-10-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Has anyone got any experience with the 'Emergency Accommodation' that is provided by the city/county council for homeless people ?

my father and I are being made homeless, and I've been advised that this is the next step. Considering my father's health, I think it will be the 'private' type of emergency accommodation ... I hope so anyway.

just wondering what it's like, where it is, what to expect etc so I can at least get my father mentally prepared for it, as it's going to be quite a shock to his system (and mine too probably)

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

SameHorse wrote: »
    Has anyone got any experience with the 'Emergency Accommodation' that is provided by the city/county council for homeless people ?

my father and I are being made homeless, and I've been advised that this is the next step. Considering my father's health, I think it will be the 'private' type of emergency accommodation ... I hope so anyway.

just wondering what it's like, where it is, what to expect etc so I can at least get my father mentally prepared for it, as it's going to be quite a shock to his system (and mine too probably)

cheers

Sorry to hear this, hope your doing ok and the services are helping the best they can

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry to hear about your predicament.
    I don't know how much you have researched this but here are some links I found
    http://www.copegalway.ie/homelessness-services/emergency-accomodation
    https://www.galwaysimon.ie/emergency-accommodation/

Possibly the good folks in State Benefits will know more

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Next step is to present yourselves to the council the day it happens.

You will be placed somewhere. Most people get moved around from place to place a lot, at least to start with. Partly because the regular emergency accommodation is full of people who could easily manage elsewhere but cannot find a house at the moment. Types of places you are given varies.

If your father has health problems, them have a letter from your doctor about his needs when you present to the council.

Are you (or your father) already on the housing list? If not, then apply for this now, in advance of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Because emergency accommodation (hostels) are full, you'll be sent to a commercial tourist hostel or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Funthalia_Love

Best wishes for good luck. I really wish for you that somebody somewhere is able to help you get back up on your feet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just re- energizing this for a friend who is being evicted by as private LL, who won't facilitate HAP. Any recent experiences/knowledge on what is likely to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just re- energizing this for a friend who is being evicted by as private LL, who won't facilitate HAP. Any recent experiences/knowledge on what is likely to be available.

Could be wrong but I do believe that HAP as a eviction reason is illegal. I'd get advice from the accommodation forums on boards.

Advertisement