Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix 2017 (1-7 Oct)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

mdwexford wrote: »
    Did Gurney and Thornton even look at each other at the end there.

Very frosty.

Couldn't blame Thornton , the antics of gurney throughout that game were awful. darts is dying with all these snails throwing nowadays. A Sully gurney final would be some borefest.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

PTH2009 wrote: »
    congrats Gurney, very emotional

jesus Thornton and Barney were not happy losers tonight

Semi final lineup
    Mensur vs Whitlock
    Gurney vs Henderson

Gurney vs Mensur final i think

Hopefully Hendo wins it, unlikely but would give all throwers out there a boost..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gurney v Hendo

Whitlock v Mensur

Edited there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Couldn't blame Thornton , the antics of gurney throughout that game were awful. darts is dying with all these snails throwing nowadays. A Sully gurney final would be some borefest.:mad:

I don't mind people not being fast. But when you have thrown your darts get them out of the board and get out of the way. Gurney gestures at the board too much when he's already thrown.

The rest of your post is rubbish. Darts is more popular than ever and a Mensur v Gurney final would be very interesting.

I don't mind people not being fast. But when you have thrown your darts get them out of the board and get out of the way. Gurney gestures at the board too much when he's already thrown.

The rest of your post is rubbish. Darts is more popular than ever and a Mensur v Gurney final would be very interesting.

I could think of plenty of words to describe a mensur V gurney final "interesting" wouldn't be one of them. When you step up to the oche you should not be allowed leave it until you throw your 3 darts, pull them and get on with it. It's cringe worthy watching the antics of some players. As for being more popular than ever i'm not sure about that. Overkill springs to mind,in particular "the premier league of darts" which is exhibition in everything but name.

• Advertisement

Will admit, I cannot take to Gurney, but have to give him fair dues, seen him play local, only a few years back and it just shows how with plenty dedication, how one can do well..

Darts more popular than ever! Up this part of the world, I would say definitely not, its definitely on the decline....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I could think of plenty of words to describe a mensur V gurney final "interesting" wouldn't be one of them. When you step up to the oche you should not be allowed leave it until you throw your 3 darts, pull them and get on with it. It's cringe worthy watching the antics of some players. As for being more popular than ever i'm not sure about that. Overkill springs to mind,in particular "the premier league of darts" which is exhibition in everything but name.

Gurney is the best up and coming talent on the circuit the last 12 months.

Mensur has been moving up the rankings consistently for a long time and is a great character to watch.

If that match doesn't interest you you must not like much darts outside the big 4.

I don't like the Premier League or the constant exhibition tour tripe but they are selling out arenas and making money non stop so dying is certainly not a word I would use to describe the sport.

raiders11 wrote: »
    Will admit, I cannot take to Gurney, but have to give him fair dues, seen him play local, only a few years back and it just shows how with plenty dedication, how one can do well..

Darts more popular than ever! Up this part of the world, I would say definitely not, its definitely on the decline....

Even in the border counties were it was once hugely popular the drink driving laws have more or less killed it. God be with the days in Ellis's of fenagh when the first game mightn't start until midnight and the bar would be still lined with pints at 3 in the morning. your right about what dedication can bring though. back in the day john joe dolan was a better thrower than brendan but for whatever reason he never made the breakthrough.

Even in the border counties were it was once hugely popular the drink driving laws have more or less killed it. God be with the days in Ellis's of fenagh when the first game mightn't start until midnight and the bar would be still lined with pints at 3 in the morning. your right about what dedication can bring though. back in the day john joe dolan was a better thrower than brendan but for whatever reason he never made the breakthrough.

I am on a border county and jaysus, I wouldn't be blaming the drink driving laws though... We have let one Northern team in our league and even though no one eager on them, they have won league this last few years and improved standard of Division 1 big time, other teams are improving but adding outside reinforcements(as in lads from far side of county, no squad can have more than 2 county players though)...but there seems no interest at lower levels and thats where you need an odd lad showing a sign of being useful and its just not happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Darts on the decline? Lads ye are having a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I was talking to Hendo 2/3 years ago outside Citywest on the Saturday after he's been eliminated in 1/4s on the Friday. He (and his Dad) were NOT happy campers, giving out about the booing from the crowd, and they were right. Would like to see him win, nice guy.

I can't stand the booing when players are throwing, last night with Thornton was a prime example in the deciding leg. If these players are doing us the favour of playing for us, a bit of respect is the minimum.

Having said that, Thornton is a pain in the hole with the body language and expressions, he's so defeatist. Sometimes the third dart following 2xtriples might be a mm outside the wire and he looks likes he's thrown a dart so poorly it hit a small child in the eye.

As for the popularity waning, I think there is a case for that argument. The premier league is barely watched from what I can see, and there is an element of overkill on the darts. Having said that, the Worlds are still amazing, most people countdown to Christmas, for me it's the week before !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I can't stand the booing when players are throwing, last night with Thornton was a prime example in the deciding leg. If these players are doing us the favour of playing for us, a bit of respect is the minimum.

I don't think they're "doing us a favour,playing for us" They're doing it for themselves, for the massive prize money that is paid for by fans who mostly go to the darts for the pantomime party atmosphere rather than the actual darts.

Thornton wasn't bothered in 2015 final when the crowd booed every dart MvG threw, eventually Thornton won.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Do any of ye know who the walk on girls are lads? The blonde is very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sands81

Off topic here but was wondering if someone thinks there will be table seats left on Monday morning for the premier league in Dublin next year or would they all be sold out in the pre member sale.

I don't think they're "doing us a favour,playing for us" They're doing it for themselves, for the massive prize money that is paid for by fans who mostly go to the darts for the pantomime party atmosphere rather than the actual darts.

Thornton wasn't bothered in 2015 final when the crowd booed every dart MvG threw, eventually Thornton won.

Mvg Taylor recently was far far worse, was there when Thornton won and it was bad,but it's like that in different places,they all know it

Sands81 wrote: »
    Off topic here but was wondering if someone thinks there will be table seats left on Monday morning for the premier league in Dublin next year or would they all be sold out in the pre member sale.

Hard too say, I knw the PDC fan club have there pre sale and I'm not sure was there a 3pre sale (didn't receive word about one anyway) but best to try Monday morning

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hard too say, I knw the PDC fan club have there pre sale and I'm not sure was there a 3pre sale (didn't receive word about one anyway) but best to try Monday morning

Got presale code yesterday from 3 network

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Whitlock doing a serious bottle job on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Sands81 wrote: »

I had a 3 pre-sale code this morning and tried at 10 but there was none left.
    As far as I know there's only a small number of tables available so I presume they get snapped up by PDC subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Whitlock has **** the tights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Found his form again to win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Poor Henderson. Would have loved to have seen him make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Gurney deservedly through to the final, funny the way the wasn't the falling to the floor craic like last night when he won, surely he should have lol. Maybe he just didn't want to deal with the wee angry scot last night :D

Not many would of guessed the final 2 at the start but here we are Simon Whitlock vs Daryl Gurney

Hard one too call but I'll go for Gurney too win it although Whitlock has experience of major finals

Whitlock to win 5-2/5-3...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Poor first set, especially the 5th leg which was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

9 missed set darts by Gurney. Very poor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭FineAle

Gurney brushing shoulders with Whitlock during a celebration, what a flute!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

FineAle wrote: »

Saw that, a bit stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

FineAle wrote: »

Totally uncalled for.

Advertisement