Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worth trying to sell modulars as a super lot/bundle?

• 05-10-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

It's a very odd place to be, thinking about selling LEGO rather than buying it, but how and ever...

I'm toying with the idea of offloading some modulars. I have my eye on something shiny and new that I absolutely don't need, but really, really want, so I'm looking for a way to justify it to myself.

I buy a fair bit on Bricklink - is selling there is as straightforward as buying? For those of you who have sold sets before, is there any point in putting them all up as a super lot?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How far back do you go?

I doubt they'd be too popular as a superlot as there are not many people who want to get in to modulars in a big bang - particularly as there's quite a lot of them still available either direct or with retailers. Pet Shop is still common at retail at MRSP giving you 7 years worth easily available.

Now, the retired modulars are all worth over MRSP now if you have the box and instructions (even open); the oldest ones are worth quite a lot even built minus box/instructions once they are 100% using the "proper" parts (the older version of the windows, no substitutions for the dear bricks in the back of Green Grocer and so on).

Remember that the cost of bricklinking the older modulars back again should you wish for completion is increasing ridiculously. I have 'fakes' of the first three, with subbed parts where needed to at least look almost right and even that's becoming non-viable for a normal collector now.

The grooved sand green 1x2 in Green Grocer is now getting up to €3 in a normal sale for that volume (so €168 on those parts alone; and there are other dear parts in Green Grocer....) and that's despite it being a current colour and current mould meaning Lego could reintroduce it. The hoses, old system windows/doors and so on in the first three modulars which are never going to be re-released due to system changes are becoming obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

To my eternal regret, I missed the first three thanks to two kids and the accompanying fog of sleep deprivation and curtailed spending that those early years parenting years entailed. (Nobody warns you in advance how much having kids will impact on your LEGO funds! :eek:) Stupid timing.

I have the Fire Brigade onwards. I've kept the boxes (flattened) and the instructions for all of them, and they've probably been minded better than the aforementioned rugrats. I've been keeping them out of sight and reach of the kids for so long now, though, that I'm just not getting the same enjoyment out of them myself because of that.

I think separately is probably the only sensible way to go. I suppose I was hoping there would be an easier way to do it (kind of like ripping off a plaster in one go, to lessen the pain :o)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheapest Fire Brigade in that condition is 270, cheapest Grand Emporium 220.

I was wrong about everything back to Pet Shop being cheap though! Pet Shop is available at retail price still - it was in stock at Smyths until a few months ago; but Town Hall cheapest is 400. All the newer ones are still available from Lego directly.

Considering FB/GE was 160, TH 180 there's clear profit there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Did you sell these, do you still have the firehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

I tried. Well, I intended to try. I had good intentions, at least.

I logged into Bricklink with the intention of listing them... and accidentally bought two other sets instead... :o:o:o

When push came to shove, I wasn't quite ready to part with them just yet. The watch can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I logged into Bricklink with the intention of listing them... and accidentally bought two other sets instead...

When push came to shove, I wasn't quite ready to part with them just yet. The watch can wait.

Haha, understood! Let us know when you're ready and best of luck with your collection/watch purchase..

Advertisement