Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weevil 160/100

Options
  • 03-10-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

160/100km, 3800/2500m elevation, approx. 50% gravel and fireroads suitable for cx bikes, start and finish from Marley Park. Completely unsupported.

https://www.strava.com/routes/10783437

Route pre-ride on 15th Oct, 7am.

Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Your fooking nuts. Do you know that?
    But you will ,no doubt , have plenty of likewise loonies along with you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought the three peaks sounded mad till this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://youtu.be/HygeWIG4JhM

Might have stolen that.

Good training for Wales in June 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Alek wrote: »
    200km, 3000m+ elevation, 50-60% gravel and fireroads suitable for cx bikes but maybe even wide road tyres, start and finish from Marley Park. Completely unsupported.

Route pre-ride on 15th Oct, 7am.

Who's in?

(I'll post the route later tonight)

The man that recently completed an Everest on the bike invites you out for a spin :eek:

large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

is the other 40% roads? hardtail 29r suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Muahaha!!!

Ok.

How about we make it 160km, so a mere Century?

https://www.strava.com/routes/10783437

is the other 40% roads? hardtail 29r suitable?

The rest is road - boreens where possible. Hardtail is overkill, but will be more than fine.

The man that recently completed an Everest on the bike invites you out for a spin

C'mon, I'm slow, just stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

So I happened to be a sort of test dummy of this route. I did it on Saturday, with an elapsed time of 9h 13m and moving time of about 8h 10m.

Link to Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1209084321/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1506795433

So it's honestly a fantastic route, while I cursed Alek at some points along the way, I came away from it feeling nothing but gratitude for such an awesome route.

I'd highly recommend doing it, But you got to know what you're getting yourself into. Progress is obviously a lot slower than on the road. A lot of the time, you're in a forest with no one but yourself to keep you company. While I loved that aspect of it, I can see why it'd put people off perhaps.

I'd say a CX/Gravel bike is perfect. MTB would work too but would take considerably longer as a lot of the route is still on roads. I wouldn't try it on a road bike to be honest.

But by all means, if you're thinking about it, give it a go. This type of cycling is dear to my and Alek's hearts, and we really wish to share it with the rest of the cycling community. It's a great day out on the bike, and the company will be great no doubt!

I can't imagine a better test dummy Sunsets! It was your post-ride enthusiasm that made me want to make something more of it :)

In fairness, while I know most places included in the route, there are a few I haven't been to myself... but I can honestly vouch for the beauty of all those I know. Some climbs are murderous, surface is total shoite/great depending of how much gravel runs in your blood, but I'm sure it will be an unforgettable ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Possibly/Maybe. Can’t do the 15th though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I can't imagine a better test dummy Sunsets! It was your post-ride enthusiasm that made me want to make something more of it :)

In fairness, while I know most places included in the route, there are a few I haven't been to myself... but I can honestly vouch for the beauty of all those I know. Some climbs are murderous, surface is total shoite/great depending of how much gravel runs in your blood, but I'm sure it will be an unforgettable ride!

In no shape for any off road at the moment, let alone a mammoth one, but the route looks like an absolute blast, even if you were pushing the bike as much as riding it. Even on the first short bit that I have done, plenty of stiles and locked gates, so upper body will be kept active too. In good health I'd be pleased to get through half of this in a day. Looking forward to hear how you get on.

Possibly/Maybe. Can’t do the 15th though.

Unfortunately I can't do any other weekend until November, and I'd rater avoid finishing after sunset.
    even if you were pushing the bike as much as riding it. Even on the first short bit that I have done, plenty of stiles and locked gates,

You mean in the Massey Woods? There are not too many of such obstacles later on, just a few gates.

Note if someone does not feel like taking a stab at the whole thing, the route can be shortened in Roundwood - one can skip the southern loop and make it roughly a 100km one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You mean in the Massey Woods? There are not too many of such obstacles later on, just a few gates.

Yep, the section of Masseys that takes you to Cruagh has 3-4 stiles on it, and crossing the road there the gate to Cruagh was locked last time I was there so went over the metal steps. Gate to the section of the Wicklow way coming from Pine Forest road also locked last time I was on it (last year to be fair), as were a couple more on the fire road taking you the back of Enniskerry / Glencree road. No biggy really, you just need to hump your bike over a stile or gate every now and again.

The section around Clara bridge looks great, been meaning to tackle some of the Coilte tracks around there for a while now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Looks cool. Not in any condition to do the whole thing but I'll tag along as far as Roundwood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How sketchy would descending be for someone who is not great at descending. I'm weird, I prefer the uphill part.

Would Schwallbe Land Cruisers be an acceptable tyre for it?

I've 37 Vittoria Hypers on one bike that I imagine wouldn't be okay unless it was fairly wet.

Yep, the section of Masseys that takes you to Cruagh has 3-4 stiles on it,

When I think of it now, I may change the route to go via the easy Massey path, exiting near Hellfire. The current one is maybe better suited for MTB, plus the stiles...

[edit]

Done :)

Would Schwallbe Land Cruisers be an acceptable tyre for it?

More than good. I'm doing it on file thread...

I've 37 Vittoria Hypers on one bike that I imagine wouldn't be okay unless it was will kill me if its anything close to "fairly wet".

Fixed this one for you :p:p:p
    How sketchy would descending be for someone who is not great at descending.

I'm largely the same :) Descending will be fine if your brakes are in good condition. Just don't lean too much when cornering on gravel... and try to use the rear brake more than the front on loose surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The heart wants but not sure the bod could cash this cheque...

Go. For. It.

• Advertisement

When I think of it now, I may change the route to go via the easy Massey path, exiting near Hellfire. The current one is maybe better suited for MTB, plus the stiles...

[edit]

Done :)

Ah what a shame ;-) But I understand, massey's wood is really nice, But v tough on a bike!

Shame - that weekend is totally full for me. Would love to have a crack at this on the cross bike.

If anyone else wants to give it a lash on a different day let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Wow - that is a fantastic route - I'm sure I've ridden a lot of the gravel roads at some time or another, putting them altogether is a great idea! What a great spin that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Excuse 1.....I dont have a cross bike :) Anyone doing it on an MTB?
    Excuse 2.....Im not 100% after sickness just yet..
    Excuse 3.....Sundays is usually a day of rest...Let me check at home.

Post up the updated route and I will scratch my smig for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Wicklow Way from below the Pier Gates to over the Roundwood side of Lough Dan is also doable on a cross bike. I've done it on a road bike with cross tyres. Just as an alternative to Ballinastoe - Annacarter Cross - Roundwood Village route. Either from the top of Ballinstoe near the Malone Monument carparks, or back up the hill from Annacarter if you wanted to be particularly cruel.

Spins like this make me wish I had a cross bike (currently n+3!). Most of the stuff around Roundwood I've done on a road bike with cross tyres actually, and have done the Reservoir Trails on road tyres with the children, albeit the commuter with marathon plus! N+1 was going to be full suss - 29er hard tail just come back into the running after looking at this!

Thanks Macy - ill take a closer look on the route again tomorrow at work.

NobleNudge, no problem doing it on mtb, its not a race or anything... More like a social adventure spin :-) the route linked in the first post is the current one.

TooObvious wrote: »
    Wow - that is a fantastic route - I'm sure I've ridden a lot of the gravel roads at some time or another, putting them altogether is a great idea! What a great spin that would be.

It truly is a great spin. Usually gravel is just a small part of one's cycles, But this route has like 50-60% gravel (it seems anyhow). And for a 160k spin, that's a lot!

Test cycled most of the main loop this morning. Got lost a bit in Djouce woods (in pitch black at 6am) so still not too sure if there is an easy exit from the south side of it... Also took all the wrong turns in the Coillte park near Greystones, and the result was more MTB than anything! Very technical stuff, cx doable but barely. The rest was more than fine, perfect for gravel bike in fairness. One word about Vartry lakes - the path is flat and seems easy, so encourages to pick up some speed while enjoying the view... Wrong! I had a high speed spill when front wheel weny into a hole of some sort (torn bibs, nettles in ear... ;-) ) and many serious wobbles on loose deep gravel there.

Another thing: there are many blind turns on the route, often going downhill (Red Lane area!) - be very very careful when going there, dont hesitate to stop completely if in doubt.

Other than this, I had mighty fun doing this today! Can't wait till next Sunday.

Note if someone does not feel like taking a stab at the whole thing, the route can be shortened in Roundwood - one can skip the southern loop and make it roughly a 100km one.

That would be the lesser of two Weevils...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nearly had a pass in my hand for Sunday, only to have it snatched away... Anyway, still might CX tyres on my disc brake defy and have more of an explore at some point!

Advertisement