Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City to Clontarf Cycle Route

• 03-10-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭

According to Irishcycle.com there was a cycle route approved last night. Any idea where I could find what was approved?

That site has lots of articles about it over the past 3 years (presumably as plans continued to change), so tough to see what they actually agreed on. Was it the Dec 2016 proposal on DCC website?

Or does the "subject to amendments that the route be redesigned" caveat mean that they just allocated funding but didn't actually approve a plan/route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sutton to City cycle route through Fairview finally approved, great news to reduce motor traffic and increase cyclist safety and decrease journey time by bike...

Ah not according to the IT headline!
    Traffic-lanes-to-be-lost-to-accommodate-dublin-cycle-path

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wait till the journal.ie gets this...

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Wait till the journal.ie gets this...

brace-yourself-comments-o843lj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It sounds terrible TBH. Can they not utilise the current cycle path through the park, upgrade it so that it is usable?

To reduce the main artery into the city centre from that side of the city seems crazy? Already there can be quite a backup of cars turning right onto Fairview Strand and if they restrict the traffic to one lane won't it all just be backed up?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It sounds terrible TBH. Can they not utilise the current cycle path through the park, upgrade it so that it is usable?

Quite simply, NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

God, I cycle down there every most mornings and drive very occasionally, reducing that stretch to a single lane is going to make it an absolute nightmare in a car. Maybe that's the point. Buses are going to suffer too because private cars already use the bus lane a ton.

Is this a problem that needs to be solved for cyclists? I don't have a problem down there in rush hour in the morning or evening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

God, I cycle down there every most mornings and drive very occasionally, reducing that stretch to a single lane is going to make it an absolute nightmare in a car. Maybe that's the point. Buses are going to suffer too because private cars already use the bus lane a ton.

Is this a problem that needs to be solved for cyclists? I don't have a problem down there in rush hour in the morning or evening tbh.

it's a great idea, IF we had a cheap reliable public transport system to take those commuters who leave their cars at home. But this won't happen, so yes, it'll be chaos for motorists. Frankly, I'm amazed it was voted in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This needs a double whammy approach. If we are going to encourage more cycling through more cycle road infrastructure then we need to encourage employers to install showers, secure lockups...etc. through grants.

Im very privileged with my employer to have 20 showers in work. Many are not.

Im also amazed this got passed. I cycle that stretch every morning and the junction at the bottom of malahide road turning to fairview is carnage.

P.s. the comments on the Irish Times FB article are equally amusing and infuriating. Serious levels of ignorance being displayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jon1981 wrote: »
    P.s. the comments on the Irish Times FB article are equally amusing and infuriating. Serious levels of ignorance being displayed.
    Am having a bit of fun in there at the moment

Regarding running the cycle path through the park. It's a public park, not a thoroughfare. I'm happy with the argument that commuting cyclists should be provided with an option that is separate from a recreational area.

Im very privileged with my employer to have 20 showers in work. Many are not.

This is true and tbh I've barely thought about it, but if my office didn't have showers I would not be cycling to work, simple as that.

• Advertisement

Am having a bit of fun in there at the moment

Regarding running the cycle path through the park. It's a public park, not a thoroughfare. I'm happy with the argument that commuting cyclists should be provided with an option that is separate from a recreational area.

The Phoenix Park is a public park that manages to have cycle lanes in it.

If they were to go ahead with this then current car drivers will have to find an alternative. Either public transport or bike.

PT will require significant increases in the current capacities, with the necessary investment that will require.

And as Jon1981, a significant improve in the infrastructure, both public and private, to cyclists and the journey end. Parking, showers etc.

This is all on top of the estimate €4m cost of this? Just to save a few trees that could realistically be moved into the park to free up the space or alternatively by better utilising the existing badly used space in the park

Shower previous to your commute, bring wet wipes with you and deodorant/hair gel/makeup/comb/hand towel..
    Wear a clean wicking cycling jersey etc.

If you're still suffering from odor after all that then drive..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Phoenix Park is a public park that manages to have cycle lanes in it.
    Alongside one of the main thoroughfares from d15 into the city centre. I wouldn't regard it as a useful comparison with fairview park.

This is all on top of the estimate €4m cost of this? Just to save a few trees that could realistically be moved into the park to free up the space or alternatively by better utilising the existing badly used space in the park

I agree with you, the passion shown by locals for those old trees led by rabble rouser Nial Ring put a stop to it... They would rather have a motorway running past their doors than a cycle lane..

Alongside one of the main thoroughfares from d15 into the city centre. I wouldn't regard it as a useful comparison with fairview park.

I don't understand your point. You are saying that Fairview Park can't possible be used for a cycle lane (apart from the fact that it already is) even though plenty of parks across the world do. Why?

Not in its current guise, the current set up is terrible. But make that better rather than starting again with another bike lane which happens to take a away a much needed lane.

Is this a done deal? I mean they approved it, but does it mean they'll go ahead? I see another petition coming!!

I don't understand your point. You are saying that Fairview Park can't possible be used for a cycle lane (apart from the fact that it already is) even though plenty of parks across the world do. Why?
    Not in its current guise, the current set up is terrible. But make that better rather than starting again with another bike lane which happens to take a away a much needed lane.

You've never commuted or cycled into city centre via Fairview, so to explain, it would be like trying to travel southbound from O'Connell street down Abbey street and around the customs house just to get to D'Olier street

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You've never commuted or cycled into city centre via Fairview, so to explain, it would be like trying to travel southbound from O'Connell street down Abbey street and around the customs house just to get to D'Olier street

I cycle it everyday. I really have no idea what you are talking about. I think I must be confused. From my reading, they are talking about removing one of the inbound lane from Howth Rd/Clontarf Rd junction through to Annesley Bridge to provide a cycle path in order to keep the currrent trees in place.

There already is a cycle lane through the park. Start and end are rubbish but easily made better. Make the join back to the road better and you're all set.

Why is it not possible to improve on the current option without starting totally afresh? And in doing so removing a lane from the inbound traffic.

I'm all for better cycling infrastructure but this is a wholly unnecessary waste of public resources.

Is this a done deal? I mean they approved it, but does it mean they'll go ahead? I see another petition coming!!

My reading of it is the council really want to get rid of those trees and since there was such objections they have come up with a plan they know is going to scare the bejaysus out of all the motorists so they will 'accept' they tree plan.

My reading of it is the council really want to get rid of those trees and since there was such objections they have come up with a plan they know is going to scare the bejaysus out of all the motorists so they will 'accept' they tree plan.

I was thinking that too...but would they really play a game like that? Seems abit petty.

If they already had this approved plan an option why didnt they disclose it at the same time as the plan to cut down trees. I'm sure it would have reduced the petition numbers had they been aware of the worse options up for discussion.

Spending 4m euro on 300m of a cycle lane is madness. That being said, i don't know how much the previous rejected option cost.

• Advertisement

There already is a cycle lane through the park. Start and end are rubbish but easily made better. Make the join back to the road better and you're all set..

No one who commutes will divert into the park, probably on a shared path with dog walkers and prams, take a jolly cycle through the park and end up out at annesley bridge..eventually!

I go through the park everyday. Enter at the Howth Rd/Clontarf Rd junction and exit just before the lights on Annesley Bridge.

It is far from perfect, as I have pointed out, but it is usable. Make some improvements and it would be a more than adequate option.

It is very rare that you get pedestrians on the path, but on the odd occasion it is hardly the loss of the TdF we are talking about.

And even with a new cycle path you will still get people crossing onto it, runners, cars parked etc. Look at the newly opened cycle path on the seafront. New tarmac seems to be the only place people can walk/run

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

No one who commutes will divert into the park, probably on a shared path with dog walkers and prams, take a jolly cycle through the park and end up out at annesley bridge..eventually!

It's a shorter, more direct route through the park though

The only issue with the route through the park is it assumes everyone is going into town. If you're heading up towards fairview strand it's of no use. I know the majority head into town but it's a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

[quote="jon1981;104865
    785"]The only issue with the route through the park is it assumes everyone is going into town. If you're heading up towards fairview strand it's of no use. I know the majority head into town but it's a consideration.[/quote]

I get you but the route they're planning is into city centre, Fairview traffic can take the route its always took.

site_owner wrote: »
    It's a shorter, more direct route through the park though

Is it? for travelling from Malahide road to city centre? Does it not go up the centre of the park, back around and on shared paths covered in leafs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Is it? for travelling from Malahide road to city centre? Does it not go up the centre of the park, back around and on shared paths covered in leafs etc?

If connecting clontarf to the city it's direct and a 40 or 50 metres shorter.
    Coming from malahide road it's still a little shorter but only by a few metres.

It's the same setup as the cycle lane on the coast for 75% of the route and I've had way more close calls with people crossing to their car, as well as rugby and soccer teams training in clontarf than in Fairview.

For the vast majority of cyclists it's probably an ideal route already

The leaves are major concern of mine for the current route through and along the park. I've already wiped out on that section and I know others who have also leading to broken collar bones. It this happens at slow speed also.

I would prefer we lose a few trees to widen the existing lane along the park to at least put some distance between the lane and remaining trees. Also being shaded by those trees currently means the lane thaws less quickly in the winter. Actually I think this is why the cycle lane in the Phoenix park is on the outside and the walking lane on the inside. It always frustrated me that a walker had to cross the cycle lane to get to the walking lane, but I guess this is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

site_owner wrote: »
    If connecting clontarf to the city it's direct and a 40 or 50 metres shorter.
    Coming from malahide road it's still a little shorter but only by a few metres.

It's the same setup as the cycle lane on the coast for 75% of the route and I've had way more close calls with people crossing to their car, as well as rugby and soccer teams training in clontarf than in Fairview.

For the vast majority of cyclists it's probably an ideal route already

Yep. Look at it on google maps. The path through the park is straight as an arrow, following the road is almost a half circle around.
    I've never been slower to get to Annesley Bridge than a cyclist ahead of me who took the road or roadside cyclepath.
    It's true about the leaves and the frost but I find it safer than the present cycle lane outside the park at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yep. Look at it on google maps. The path through the park is straight as an arrow, following the road is almost a half circle around.
    I've never been slower to get to Annesley Bridge than a cyclist ahead of me who took the road or roadside cyclepath.
    It's true about the leaves and the frost but I find it safer than the present cycle lane outside the park at the moment.

Well feck me you're right. I always just stick to the cycle lane on the path outside the park. Will be going through the park tomorrow morning.

Advertisement