Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gooch's book

• 02-10-2017 7:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry and please merge if this has been done already.

I'm not one for sports books. But the bits I've read so far seems interesting.

Being dropped in 2009
    The impact if O'Connors book on his return to the Kerry set up
    Sledging / Ricey / Tyrone

Looks like it could contain some good reading.
    I might buy it and put it beside the 5 copies of Paul McGrath's book I have

Or one of our Kerry regulars can post me one of the 10 copies they'll get for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Read the extract about the death of his father in the Sindo over the weekend. Powerful, powerful stuff. Fair play to him for his honesty. You could tell that the loss still feels like yesterday for him. I lost my father very suddenly in my early 20's too. I could really relate to how he described being "officially" a grown up and, everyone expecting him to handle the grief like a grown up. But in your early 20's, you don't really have the emotional maturity to handle that kind of loss well at all. He describes it all very vividly. His take on Pintgate was interesting too. Has he ever spoken about it before?

Is Vincent Hogan the ghost writer? If the rest of the book is that honest, it looks like he may have done a better than average job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The extracts that were in Saturdays newspaper were excellent anyway. I'm going to buy the book on the strength of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

finbarrk wrote:
    The extracts that were in Saturdays newspaper were excellent anyway. I'm going to buy the book on the strength of it.

Don't buy it. You'll get it for Christmas.

A signed one would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Link to comments on Ricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

excerpt I found ...
    Writing in his soon-to-be released autobiography, 'Gooch', the five time All-Ireland winner revisits the 2-10 to 1-16 All-Ireland final defeat of 2005.

“Tyrone didn't invent sledging in the GAA, let's be very clear about that. As long as I've been playing, there's always been a mouth or two determined to make themselves heard. But Tyrone were different.

“They were the first team I came up against who seemed to regard trash-talk as being just as fundamental to the game as tackling. And they were relentless in ‘05. Right from the throw-in, a constant commentary.”

'Gooch' had Ryan McMenamin for company that day...

“‘Ricey’ almost prided himself on being able to wind a forward up. Personally I never minded playing on him because he was never the stickiest corner-back in the world. Maybe his mouthing was to compensate for that.

“He'd hit you the odd dig into the back too and try to annoy you with these little pinches, hoping you might throw an elbow back and get the line. Tyrone were pushing the boundaries that year - maybe overstepping them at times - and who could really blame them?

“Pushing those boundaries would bring them their second All-Ireland in three years.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

ProudDUB wrote: »

Thanks that was the only part of the book that really interested me was how Kerry saw Tyrone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

buck65 wrote:
    Thanks that was the only part of the book that really interested me was how Kerry saw Tyrone.

What about Cavan?

Advertisement