Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Players outside the Provinces 17/18

• 01-10-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭

We saw in the past 2-weeks IQs in England like O'Connell, Daniel Kenny, Peter Lydon, Joe Joyce and it raised a technical question

some focused on the 5-years rule for eligibility, but there was another change, which matters a lot for the talented Piers O'Connor

1) He  played for England U20, but Saxons are their 2nd team
    2) He played for England 7's BUT was 19, so he can switch aliegence with the new law
    3) he's still eligible for Ireland through his father

So my question is : does we have to wait until the 1st of January 2021 to see such a promising player with the Irish jersey, or is this part of the law enforced sooner?
    Hope he won't be (re)captured by a stupid 7's/Saxons cap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't get it, why would he play for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I don't get it, why would he play for Ireland?

Surely the name Piers has him immediately disqualified ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    We saw in the past 2-weeks IQs in England like O'Connell, Daniel Kenny, Peter Lydon, Joe Joyce and it raised a technical question

some focused on the 5-years rule for eligibility, but there was another change, which matters a lot for the talented Piers O'Connor

1) He  played for England U20, but Saxons are their 2nd team
    2) He played for England 7's BUT was 19, so he can switch aliegence with the new law

So my question is : does we have to wait until the 1st of January 2021 to see such a promising player with the Irish jersey, or is this part of the law enforced sooner?

Who is Piers O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

So, everybody is going to avoid the main question to focus on the example?

2014011-42275714-1600-900.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So, everybody is going to avoid the main question to focus on the example?

2014011-42275714-1600-900.jpg

The main question isn't very clear. What is the significance of 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

1) He played for England U20, but Saxons are their 2nd team

What do you mean by technical question? He has played for the irish u19s but didnt play 20s as England chose him/Ireland didnt and 20s is irrelevant as Saxons/Wolfhounds are the second designated qualifying team for each nation and 20s doesnt count for locking anyone to a country
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Who is Piers O'Connor
    Played Irish 19s a few years ago but lived all time in England and been involved with a few english pro set ups while in school and since finishing secondary school

1) He  played for England U20, but Saxons are their 2nd team

What do you mean by technical question? He has played for the irish u19s but didnt play 20s as England chose him/Ireland didnt and 20s is irrelevant as Saxons/Wolfhounds are the second designated qualifying team for each nation and 20s doesnt count for locking anyone to a country
    That's what I said U20 isn't an issue. English 7's cap was but no more is or no more will be. Because of the new IRB rules
    is or will be? That's my question. The 5 year-residency rule will be enforced in January 2021. That's why I wonder if the "U20 playing 7s doesn't count" rule applies now or in 2021.
    TBC is Piers O'Connor, or anyone in a similar case, an IQ as soon as now, or only will be in 3 years (if he doesn't play with Saxons/7's in the meantime)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If he's elligible for Ireland through his father, why is residency even being discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    If he's elligible for Ireland through his father, why is residency even being discussed?

Yeah. Seems like he's eligible for Ireland until such a time as he isn't - i.e. plays for England.

No he wasn't anymore as he played with Englang 7's

But he was 19. So the new rule implies he's IQ (again). But when? 2021 when the law is enforced for the 5-year-residency rule or now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

It's a moot point, he considers himself English and he's not considering switching back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's hardly a world beater playing in the Championship and his aim appears to be representing England. Not sure why it's even a discussion.

Again O'Connor, who looks promising, can change his mind as only 22.

AND he was an example for my rule questionning (U20 7s switching country, date of enforcement), I have no answer about it yet :)

AND he was an example for my rule questionning (U20 7s switching country, date of enforcement), I have no answer about it yet :)

He can play for Ireland today if he wants to. Likely he doesn't.

He can play for Ireland today if he wants to.  Likely he doesn't.
    Thank you.
    Even if he doesn't, it matters for a province looking for an IQ centre in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Marty Moore with a try for Wasps yesterday, played 57 minutes

More like... Party More

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anyone seen much of Ian Madigan in Bristol this season? Looks like he has got game time expect against Ealing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Interesting to see Tadhg McElroy starting at blindside for Saracens A this weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Interesting to see Tadhg McElroy starting at blindside for Saracens A this weekend

weird, must have an injury crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Ciaran gaffney starting at 15 for zebre vs munster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Saracens A, also referred to as "The Bin Juice" by the Saracens players.  Source: Big Jim Hamilton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Sangre wrote: »
    Saracens A, also referred to as "The Bin Juice" by the Saracens players.  Source: Big Jim Hamilton.

that dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnw-QdlxUGc
    Saracens A game being streamed live

Anyone know much about how peter Lydon is getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Anyone know much about how peter Lydon is getting on?

Playing for Ealing these days, did win at the weekend, but he wasn't in the 23... wouldnt be looking too hot for him I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Another guy who is doing well for Bristol this year is Jason Harris Wright. 5 tries in 7 games this season.

Another guy who is doing well for Bristol this year is Jason Harris Wright. 5 tries in 7 games this season.

JHW was always pretty talented, injuries were his curse

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Another guy who is doing well for Bristol this year is Jason Harris Wright.  5 tries in 7 games this season.

JHW was always pretty talented, injuries were his curse
    And he was not immaculate in his gameplay, I trust Delahunt/Heff a lot, McCartney should have 2 more years in him too.

no need to rush for hooker in Connacht...

Gilsenan only played 11 yesterday but a full hour the week before with L.I. He looked good, and involved.
    perfect player to cover for Butler, and he should be interested now the londonians are very much on their way to relegation again
    Fergus Mulchrone playing there too, but he's limited IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Playing for Ealing these days, did win at the weekend, but he wasn't in the 23... wouldnt be looking too hot for him I think

That was the first game he missed this season. He's the top scorer in the league and having a tidy season. I'd imagine he has ambitions still to get a contract with one of the top flight teams.

Advertisement