Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I think the moral of this story is just dont run, ever. Nothing ever good can come from exercising :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

An File wrote: »
    Awkward coincidence. I'm at a race today in Clare. There's about 2000 people registered to run. I still end up standing next to my ex at the starting line. We broke up this time last year. Bleh.

Wow. Only in Ireland, could the country be any smaller..

On a new post.

Im sick of Sony :( I feel like they have lost their way. Their Flagship phones are no longer Flagship because as soon as one is released the next one is out. example being the Z5/Prem which became the X/X Performance but as soon as those were out they went and made the XZ as their Flagship. and there's like the whole alphabet of Xperia X range in between. You cant go and do that. The X range is no longer the Flagship. I dont know why this is upseting me so much but like apple fans id like to have a brand i can get behind without swapping. the original Z got me all excited thinking there was a future but now it looks like the relationship has come to an end... Thanks for the good times Sony till you lost your way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sorry to go on a downer here, but I don't really know where else to dump this right now.

I am majorly ****ed up over Chester Bennington's (lead singer of Linkin Park) suicide earlier today. Usually, I treat celebrity deaths as a "Sh*t, that sucks." type of deal. Sure, I was sad when Robin Williams died, I was sad when Alan Rickman died, I was struggling to hold back tears on live radio when I was doing a tribute show to Tony Fenton a few years ago... But this is different.

I won't claim to be the biggest LP fan in the world. To be brutally honest I didn't even know the chap's name before today (I tend to focus on bands' music rather than their backstories), but Minutes to Midnight hit in 2007, around the time I became incredibly unhappy (call it teen angst if you want). Listening to that album and Hybrid Theory on a loop got me over some incredibly dark humps. Just screaming out the lyrics to Given Up, No More Sorrow, Bleed it Out and Crawling was cathartic as all hell. LP are a microcosm of my musical taste in a way because they're so varied. I mean, compare Shadow of the Day to Crawling.

His death really just hammers home (not that anyone really needs reminding I know) that depression never really goes away. No matter how great things appear to be it's always ****ing there, a lifelong timebomb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thank you for being the one to say it first!

Hybrid Theory and Meteora were two of the earliest albums I ever bought (Nickleback's Silver Side Up was in there too) and there was an awful lot of snobbery about them not being "real" or "true" or "purist" rock music at the time.

I used to know them all word-for-word, from start to finish, and knew which songs lead into each other so I could pause for breath to sing along with them.

Even a little bit later at Oxegen in 2007, in between acts, the loud speakers blared out "What I've Done" over and over and over again.

I dug out the two early albums again a few months ago, or maybe this time last year, and loved hearing them all again. And only last weekend at a house party I was singing along to "Numb", trying to keep up with the rap sections, and everybody else at the party was doing the exact same thing.

I was at a literary/poetry event in Limerick tonight and there was a movie being shown. The organisers stopped it after a few minutes to fix the sound system and people started looking at their phones while they waited. You could see from the looks on everybody's faces as the news was spreading around the building.

It's just so utterly and totally shocking and sad. Whether or not we liked to admit it, his voice and his lyrics were a majorly important part of our lives over the last 15+ years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

You guys have said it so much better than I ever could. I met Hugsie for coffee earlier in the week, and we got talking about mental health and stuff (we're so cheerful), but LP were one of those bands I listened to. Minutes To Midnight came out the same year as Paramore's Riot, and I probably spent most of 2007/2008 with those two albums on a constant loop. And now that he's gone, it makes the albums that were made so bittersweet.

I heard, and I didn't believe it cause it was TMZ and they had to be wrong. Then Mike tweeted that it was true, and I just felt numb (excuse the pun). I'm still a bit shocked, tbh. I feel for his kids, and his wife, and I hope they're ok. But it shows how important this band are and were for so many people - my twitter timeline was pretty much all them, and today my Spotify friends are all listening to LP.

I know in C&H we've had our losses before - god we've had them. But everyone here - there's a sticky at the top for people who need it, and my PMs are open for people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I realised that we haven't changed the title of the Den in years...so it's changed now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So... How's everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

So... How's everybody?

Live and kicking. Had some difficulties with my work in the past couple of months, but things are going a lot better. A matter of learning how to control stress. Supportive GF and colleagues have helped a lot. Heading to Sweden for my first ever business trip on Tuesday, should be interesting.

Then in a few weeks, will be heading back to Ireland for a few days. First time in nearly a year. Looking forward to it a lot. :)

So... How's everybody?

My friend dtarted her phd in st. Andrews, my other friend is looking into phds at harvard, my other friend is currently on a 100% average in her masters, another has started working in pfizer as an anlyst of some sort.

I bought a harmonica yesterday and can play the first 15 notes of Happy Birthday #unemployment

I've been meaning to buy a new harmonica for over 10 years now. The good ones are surprisingly expensive!

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    My friend dtarted her phd in st. Andrews, my other friend is looking into phds at harvard, my other friend is currently on a 100% average in her masters, another has started working in pfizer as an anlyst of some sort.

I bought a harmonica yesterday and can play the first 15 notes of Happy Birthday #unemployment

Well there you go, new career path for you. Hugsie Bluesberry Pie.

Just dragged myself through a 75 km bike ride/ GAA club fundraiser. Great craic. Can't beat three hours of exercise in the rain of a Sunday morning!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I bought a harmonica at the start of the year, and never got past the randomly blowing into the holes randomly stage. Then I got bored and decided to take the thing apart, and lost one of the screws that holds it together. Then I cut my lip on the edge when I decided it'd be funny to try and blow in the front. Then I put it back in the box and put it in the back of one of my drawers.

I saw a band two nights running, they recognised me on the second night and kept waving, to the point where a girl threw part of her drink on me out of jealousy...and I lost my voice for three days.

I can speak now though!

I saw a band two nights running, they recognised me on the second night and kept waving, to the point where a girl threw part of her drink on me out of jealousy...and I lost my voice for three days.

I can speak now though!

Good night so? :):D

My 160GB iPod classic that I've used virtually every day for the past 8 years appears to have died and I am genuinely heartbroken. It's honestly the perfect device for how I like to listen to podcasts and music and given the size of my library. And it's been discontinued by Apple so I can't even replace it without paying an exorbitant amount.

CURSE YOU MECHANICAL HARD DRIVES! CURSE YOU TO HELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    My 160GB iPod classic that I've used virtually every day for the past 8 years appears to have died and I am genuinely heartbroken. It's honestly the perfect device for how I like to listen to podcasts and music and given the size of my library. And it's been discontinued by Apple so I can't even replace it without paying an exorbitant amount.

CURSE YOU MECHANICAL HARD DRIVES! CURSE YOU TO HELL!

I believe there are mods to replace it with SSD(not exactly SSDs) but similar!

EDIT: Yep here you go, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread.566780/

I'm sitting outside eating my lunch in the sun, 22 degrees. Crazy sh1t by the sounds of it going on.

Stay safe y'all.

Trees down all over Limerick, but I haven't heard any reports yet of major damage.

There is news of a death in County Waterford already though.

People still swimming in the ocean off Salthill Prom outside Galway. Mad bastards.

3 deaths reported now I believe, two trees falling on cars and one man trying to clear a fallen tree with a chainsaw.

We got off lightly here. Bad gusts between 10:30-12:00 and again between 1:00-2:30, but it's completely died down now. One or two trees down around the farm, but no major damage, power stayed on, so we're lucky.

I think by and large it was overblown (pun not intended) in terms of the panic inland. I've been saying for a few days that really it's only the coasts that would get badly hit. Still, better safe than sorry at the end of the day.

Keep yerselves safe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

The house is still being battered since about 12pm and from around 1pm until before 3pm it felt more like an earthquake with the shakes.. Still wouldn't fancy trying to stand out there now but it's eased a lot
    I've heard people saying it was all over hyped and maybe it was in your area.. But here with electricity gone most the day, phone masts down, trees or live wires on most roads and a fatality. We definitely experienced a hurricane

Galway was absolutely graaaaaaaaaaand :P
    It was kinda bad between 3-4 but we didnt even loose electricity, minimal bins were knocked over :P

I didn't notice much, but my ward is in the middle of the hospital so I was fairly buffered from it. (TLDR, was in hospital Sunday - Tuesday, and managed to get out before grad so I could graduate!)

Did we not have a depression thread?

Jhcx wrote: »
    Did we not have a depression thread?

It's still there, on Page 2.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801504

And the mobile link: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055801504/1

Gotta keep some traditions going :P

Meet Christmas, C&H folks, wherever ye all are! :)

Meet Christmas, C&H folks, wherever ye all are! :)
    On my couch, about to figuratively explode.....Christmas, the most gluttonous time of year, off to the sales tomorrow and going to pretend I havent expanded two dress sizes over this season (and unfortunately I am talking literally :p:o)

Merry Christmas All :P

Lads im genuinely shocked and saddened by Dolores death. Literally spending the week. Mourning.

Never knew this woman but I guess listening to her voice and their band always being a favourite of mine.

Always made a connection with the Cranberries and limerick because when I came to Ireland they were on the radio in fashion. Driving through the streets of Limerick listening to her voice on the radio just gives me happy memories. When I found out that she owned live 95 out a smile on my face cause I always listened to that station still do. They were the first to play some of her music when she went solo. My favourite being Ordinary day by Delores, another close connection through my teenage years.

Then my dad told me the story of how he shook hands with her and speaks about how pleasant she was to meet for a star. Just down to earth doing the cleaning.

They brought out their acoustic album there last year and it's wonderful to listen to. Saddened well never hear her voice again.

I know hundreds of musicians die. But this one was a bit closer to home literally... :(

• Advertisement

Feliz Navidad Motherfúckers!!!!

Advertisement