Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annihilation

• 27-09-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭

Alex Garland's new movie, based on Jeff VanderMeer's novel of the same name.

No idea what the hell is happening in the trailer, but it looks atmospheric and moody. :)
    IMDB wrote:
    A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don't apply.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having read the book, the trailer certainly suggests they have successfully captured the heavy sense of foreboding & dread of Area X, not to mention the body horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was tense! I'm sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ex Machina was one of the real gems of the last few years and Alex Garland has been involved with some of my favourite films over the years. Trailer looks tense. Natalie Portman is very hit and miss actresses for me, Oscar Issac is in there and you have a pretty strong female cast. If it's as great as Ex Machina then we are in for something awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kasm

Was surprised they're making this- not exactly an easy sell to casual moviegoers if it's faithful to the book, as pixelburp mentioned the foreboding & dread seems to have been captured pretty well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Garland says it's a somewhat loose adaptation of the book.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-ex-machinas-director-wants-to-film-vandermeers-craz-1717774472

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Looks really good ! Looking forward to it.

Pity Natalie Portman is in it - she is distracting.

She looks solid in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Natalie Portman has aged! Think she looks serious in this. Wouldn't be a fan of hers usually but she looks great in this, touch of Black Swan going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Looks really good ! Looking forward to it.

Pity Natalie Portman is in it - she is distracting.

You reminded me of this

Can't wait for this film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In a further sign of the way film distribution is going, apparently outside of US, Canada & China, Annihilation will be going straight to Netflix 'internationally' & 17 days after theatrical release:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/annihilation-netflix-deal-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1202218649/

Disappointing; assuming the final product was any good this could have been a good one to have seen on the big-screen.

• Advertisement

ah but maybe it's just an american news site talking about american cinemas.

here it's also listed as out in Cinema in a bunch of other countries on 23 February:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2798920/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Listed for Ireland on 23 February here:
    https://scannain.com/upcoming-irish-cinema-release-dates/3/

Grace has been talking about the newer faster-to-streaming thing on the horizon for about 2 years now. On one or both of her channels:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondTheTrailer/videos
    or
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BTTMovieMath/videos

Something about .. making money.. or reducing piracy.. or early release at a high price for families who don't want the hassle/cost involved in bringing and minding large families to a cinema. Something in that direction. Might have been competition between studios either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Or it’s just sh1t and the produces felt they would get a better deal off Netflix and putting it out on a worldwide cinema release.

Same thing happened with The Circle earlier this year and it was sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I hope its not ****, the books are excellent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it's like the book though, it'd have a bit of an art house vibe to it. It's possible Garland stuck to the mood and they realised it'd be hard to market so gave it to Netflix for a lump sum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Or it’s just sh1t and the produces felt they would get a better deal off Netflix and putting it out on a worldwide cinema release.

Same thing happened with The Circle earlier this year and it was sh1t.

Yeah that would be my read on the situation, it's a reflection of the product rather than the direction of the film industry. Will give it a watch all the same.

I think you can speculate in either direction, and Netflix's strategy of acquiring films left right and centre has lead to a wild see-saw of quality - but then no more than any normal studio to be fair. The Circle was a bit of an abomination, and its failure in the US box office just underlined that fact & kinda made Netflix look like fools, but by and large I've found their 'own' movies to be of a reasonable standard. Features like 'Okja; have been the standout for me, while others like 'What Happened to Monday', while far from perfect showed a wilder, creative streak standards studios clearly lack (I haven't seen it, but I believe Mudbound has also been doing well for them).

On the face of it, Annihilation has a writer / director who has already garnered a lot of praise for his previous work; a star with a decent CV, if not a powerhouse at the box-office; and a widely acclaimed, if tough read of a novel as source material - one that (having read it) honestly wouldn't be that hard to adapt if you had someone who knew what they're doing. If anything, a faithful adaptation might lead to a frustrating movie more than an ostensibly bad one, as the novel is a very ambiguous, speculative read.

This isn't me wanting Annihilation to the amazing at all costs mind you, but I could well believe Netflix sensing another sleeper, indie hit on a par with Garland's Ex Machina and trying to overtake the praise.

ixoy wrote: »
    If it's like the book though, it'd have a bit of an art house vibe to it. It's possible Garland stuck to the mood and they realised it'd be hard to market so gave it to Netflix for a lump sum instead.
    Apparently, I'm right! From The Hollywood Reporter:
    The movie, which wrapped shooting July 2016, had a poor test screening this summer that sources say was the root of the conflict. After the screening, Ellison became concerned that the movie was “too intellectual” and “too complicated” and wanted changes made to make it appeal to a wider audience. They included making Portman’s character more sympathetic as well as tweaking the ending.

Rudin, who executive produced Machina, sided with Garland, defending the movie and refused to take notes. Rudin was able to hold his line, according to a source, because he has final cut.

Now of course it could be crap too, but I really did think it would be a difficult movie to sell if it stuck to the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What is area X ? aliens?

ixoy wrote: »
    Apparently, I'm right! From The Hollywood Reporter:

Now of course it could be crap too, but I really did think it would be a difficult movie to sell if it stuck to the books.

Yeah the book really is a strange ambiguous beast for definite, itself kinda art house literature. A true adaptation is always going to yield an equally strange, dreamlike and intangible film and could well believe that test audiences didn't respond to that. Hopefully it augers well with the final product.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah the book really is a strange ambiguous beast for definite, itself kinda art house literature. A true adaptation is always going to yield an equally strange, dreamlike and intangible film and could well believe that test audiences didn't respond to that. Hopefully it augers well with the final product.
    The book nailed the idea of a creeping sense of dread. It'll require a tight reign to keep that without going OTT or using cheap tactics. Some of the other elements.. well I'll be interested to see how they tackle it. I've a bit of faith in Garland.
    I do wonder if they'll mix in elements from the whole trilogy into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kasm

Did the studio making this read the book? Looks like the feedback of 'too intellectual ' and 'too complicated' should attract the fans of the book anyway.

The studio has basically said make it dumber and less complex for joe and joesphine public so we can make our money back. As long as its not rubbish it will end up with a cult following probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Full trailer out today... looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mr E wrote: »
    Full trailer out today... looks amazing.

I've never even heard of the book but that looks enjoyable, definitely one to watch for me.

Not sure what people would find difficult to understand. Feels like they explain what's going on pretty well right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The teaser from September was a bit confusing, but the main trailer was very clear.

Only now do I see it's Alex Garland, the same screenwriter as not just Ex Machina but also: 28 Days Later, Sunshine, 28 Weeks Later, Never Let Me Go, Dredd, Big Game
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Garland#Filmography

Haven't seen Never Let Me Go or Big Game but they would be somewhere on my to-watch list

I suppose it was always likely a subsequent trailer might lean more into a more plot-focused direction; I preferred the first promo TBH, if only because it matched the oppressive ambiguity of the book.

Also, for those that read the book:
    am I imagining things or are there more on the expedition in the trailer than there were in the book? I count 5 in the video, whereas IIRC only 4 went into Area X in the book. I guess that's a deliberate creative decision: an added redshirt perhaps, or someone more significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I have read the books and loved them, but this trailer looks really ****ty ... just a big monster jump scare fest ..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

im a huge fan of ex machina and most of garlands previous work and was very excited for this..but i have to agree the trailer is AWFUL..teaser was much better and im sorry i watched the trailer. hopes for this are not high..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

unplayable wrote: »
    im a huge fan of ex machina and most of garlands previous work and was very excited for this..but i have to agree the trailer is AWFUL..teaser was much better and im sorry i watched the trailer. hopes for this are not high..

Agree.
    Teaser looked really mysterious seemed to carry the mood of the books, but this trailer was pants - but then again, it could be just a bad trailer, I still have some hope for the movie.

Advertisement