Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Our next cake decorating class takes place 3rd and 4th July.
    It will show how to decorate a 3-tier cake in a tropical beach design.
    The cost includes almost all materials needed, and the tools will be yours to keep afterwards.
    Not suitable for complete beginners, aimed at those with a little experience.

PM for details.

11253890_852273794865615_746411846318844148_n.jpg?oh=f4a621918a722f6f5e77df6581ca1cef&oe=56241378

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catherinesar

This looks like a fun event for a craft day out! I saw on Facebook that tickets are only €5 with the code DublinFriends. Thought I'd share the details if anyone is interested :)

Summer Craft Party
    Hosted by Guidecentral & The chq Building
    Saturday, 27 June, 2015
    11am - 2pm

Craft, create, and discover something new! Join Guidecentral and The chq Building for an afternoon of summer crafting & DIY fun.

This event is full of inspiration and ideas for summertime projects like handcrafted accessories, home decor, kids crafts, entertaining and hosting, and more. Visit one of our craft stations and craft along with wonderful local crafters including Carrie O’Mahoney of Carrie Loves Candy, Kasia Eska-Grajek of In My Nest, Agrita Vindzanova and Dayane Cabral, who will create amazing handmade pieces before your eyes!

Create your own summer-inspired craft, mingle over tea and coffee, or shop our DIY kits to bring the fun home with you.

Raffles, prizes, face painting, & much, much more!

Visit guidecentr.al/craftparty for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Em123

Children's art & craft classes in Clonee, Dublin 15. New term starts Saturday, 5th September :-) Mod snip - Send PM for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mamabearhug

Hi my daughter is 9 years old, she loves crafts.
    what is the price? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mamabearhug

Hi are you doing any art craft's courses this year 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Em123

Hi, €12 per 90 minute class. Pay-as-you-go for 1st term (until Halloween mid-term) & pre-pay afterwards. Classes are for age 6-8 & 9-12 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nickrobinson

Hi,

I'm not allowed post links but BLOCK T (1-6 Haymarket, Smithfield Square, Dublin 7) are hosting 2 upcomging workshops. They're on the VAI listings and eventbrite as well.

Firstly there's....

-Realist Painting the Figure in Oils – 2 Day Course
    BLOCK T Skillsets presents a new 2 day course in painting the figure in oils from Florence Academy of Art graduate and prize winner Nick Robinson.
    Over 2 Sundays, students of all levels of experience will benefit from working with a life model and learning in a small, intimate class environment. This course will cover:
    * An introduction to all the painting materials you will use
    * Colour theories, colour mixing, use of the palette
    * How to create realistic form – work with light, shadow and space in portraying the human body
    * Learn the steps involved in painting with oils – drawing, imprimatura, etc.
    Course fee – €135 (10% discount for all past participants & BLOCK T Members)
    This course will take place over 2 Sundays – August 23rd & August 30th – from 10am until 4pm
    Discounted lunch is available next door in Third Space Cafe.
    A 10% discount is available on all materials from Evan’s Art Supplies: 5 – 6 Meetinghouse Ln, Mary’s Abbey, Dublin 7
    All model fees are included in the price

And secondly...
    – Head Drawing, Portraiture and Self-Portraiture: A 1-Day painting & Drawing Workshop
    Head Drawing, Portraiture and Self-Portraiture: A 1-day painting and drawing workshop with artist Tadhg McGrath
    Saturday, September 12th – 10:45am until 5:30pm
    In this intensive, day-long workshop, participants will learn about the basic proportions & architecture of the head and face, and will work on aspects of building a portrait composition from sketches and prepared drawings.
    Course Fee: €59 (10% discount for all past participants and BLOCK T Members, 20% discount for students)

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Waterford Body Painting Jam

If there's anyone interested in body painting there will be an event in Waterford on the 13th September. Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/southeastbodypainting/info?tab=page_info

Artists and models please contact [Mod snip - contact via PM please]

All participants must be over 18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Posting this here as well as in our knitting thread in case it gets missed!
    Neyite wrote: »
    Hi Knitters, your mods kindly permitted me to post this here.

Myself and some boardsie friends who knit/crochet are planning to contribute to Woolly Hugs, a UK organisation that provide charity knitted items to various people in need. The campaign we plan to contribute to is the current refugee crisis for Syrians - the details are below.

If any of you would like to join us in our project, then please pm me.
    http://beta.woollyhugs.com/index.php...eed-your-help/

We can get woolly warmth to families in refugee camps in Kurdistan, thanks to the amazing charity Knit for Peace. There are 1.8 million refugees trapped there, most have fled civil wars and ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Winter is coming, it will be even more desperate and absolutely freezing. We are also developing links to get resources to children and families elsewhere, and on their arrival in the UK. We just want to help keep folk warm. We know we can’t help everyone, but we can some.

We really need your help, here’s how…

* We need 12 inch, or six inch squares. Knit or crochet both equally welcome.
    * Yarn to be used - any good quality acrylic DK, for example Stylecraft special DK
    * Any colour, any style, it is all good.
    * Squares equally welcome if made by beginner or expert. Truly.
    * No one think their's wouldn’t be good enough. They will be.
    * We'd love to receive whole blankets, but absolutely understand time constraints.
    * We’d also love to receive hats and gloves/mittens for any age, baby sized through to adult, the same for jumpers. But appreciate that is a very big ask.
    * If you’d like to donate yarn or funds, let us know - we’d absolutely LOVE to hear from you, we need you too. This will be a real team effort
    * If anyone would like to join in crafting but can’t afford to, please PM us, we can help.

One square, one blanket, a pair of gloves, one warm hat, one step at a time, really every little thing will help. Together we can make a difference.

Sadly we cannot accept items other than home made woolly ones at the moment, if this changes we will come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Rockhound

Stone Carving Classes
    Hi There

This is for anybody interested in Stone Carving Classes in the Dublin area.
    We are looking for people to register their interest in a weekend class at our D15 studios, Castleknock near the Phoenix park.

Stone and tools are supplied and the course is suitable for all levels, including beginners. Participants will be tutored on a one-to-one basis to support each person in realising their own project. Participants may be able to go away with a finished piece of work or with a sculpture that can be easily finished away from the studio. Non beginners may wish to start a more complex piece to work on over a longer period of time. You may already have an idea of what you wish to carve. If you have no set ideas then that is fine; a suitable project can be set for you.The only thing necessary to bring are steel capped safety boots.

The classes are 9.30 - 5.00 Saturday and Sunday possible dates October 17-18 or 24-25
    Classes costs 220 euro which includes your stone and use of our tools.

If you are interested and want more info. Please PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Our next cake decorating class takes place Saturday, 10 October in Letterkenny.
    Details here.

Oct15_zpskwxppwuw.jpeg

We also have a series of craft classes on Thursday evenings: candlemaking, soapmaking, jewellery, knitting, quilling, making cards, Christmas crafts.
    Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Halloween half term pottery workshops for kids and Christmas Pottery and Craft gifts for kids and adults - classes until mid December. At The Pottery Shed, Portlaoise, please contact for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

hey I did start a thread on this but if anyone knows of any good evening courses close to carlow or surrounding areas in illustration including inking and digital colouring and stuff like that I would love to hear as I am finding it hard to find anything. I'd rather something that didn't cost an arm and a leg and for adults. Something that will be challenging but you do not need formal training to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Life Drawing class I attend regularly in A4 Sounds. They run Wednesdays 7 -9pm in St Joseph's Parade. All the practical details are here: http://paperpanther.ie/workshops/life-drawing-a4-sounds-studios/

As to why I would recommend them? I've been going to tonnes life drawing classes to try and keep my drawing skills sharp after leaving secondary school in '09 (that's 7 years of life drawing :eek:)...and these classes have been my favourite by a mile!

The tutor is really nice and creates a super encouraging environment where you feel it's ok to mess up and experiment with new techniques. We've worked in a range of materials too, like wire and clay and there's often dogs! (We had a comparative anatomy class where we drew a dog for the whole session - good times). There's also a sense of community that hasn't really developed or existed in any of the other life drawing groups I've attended.

I've genuinely seen a positive change in my work. Whereas before I would be meticulous and precious about my work - mainly working in pencil, now I see myself bouncing between techniques and having a lot more fun. I've posted most of the work I've produced in the classes on my tumblr if you'd like to have a look.

Hope to see some boardies there of a Wednesday sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

Leine Medieval will be holding One Day Workshops on
    Early Medieval Textiles at the
    Irish National Heritage Park, Wexford on the
    27th and 28th of February(10.00am to 4.30pm).

During the day we will be discussing textiles and clothing production in Early Medieval Ireland. Our warp weighted loom will be on display and we will talk on it's construction and use. We will also have a reproduction sprang loom and tablet weaving loom.
    Hands-on lessons will be given in the ancient art of naalbinding which was used to produce a hard-wearing knit type fabric long before knitting was invented.
    There will also be lessons in the essential art of spinning sheep's wool with a drop spindle.

We look forward to an enjoyable and relaxing day of discussion and crafting!

€45 per person (all material provided)
    Booking essential.
    If you wish to book [Mod snip: send PM for booking details]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MollyFall

Hi Folks,

Can you please check out Mountmellick Summerfest and Mountmellick Christmas fair Co.Laois as they are looking for fun and exciting art and craft stalls

The summerfest is over the June Bank Holiday weekend and places are still available for art and craft stalls.

Mountmellick Christmas Fair is all outdoors and places book out really fast so make sure to visit their page before mid September if you would like to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jenimachon

Hi,
    The Little Paper Tree will be hosting a Mixed Media workshop in Galway on 2 July.
    We will be creating 3 mixed media projects throughout the day.
    Price from €80
    Booking essential.
    PM for more details and to book.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irieirie16

RebeccaA wrote: »
    I'd like to invite you to visit my new blog at where you can sign up to an introduction to felting course, the first of which is on 21st April. The courses are kept small, as its set around my farmhouse table, maximum of four (3 places left as yet). I'm in Co Leitrim.

There are other courses listed too which cover aspects of sustainable living such as how to rear rare breed piglets for the freezer, introduction to keeping goats for meat, milk (& fibre!), alternative energy for your home, etc.

All the best, Rebecca ;)

hi there, cant access you web page without a user name and password to enter. my pal is interested in the felt class thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rockhound

Stone Carving Classes
    Hi There

This is for anybody interested in Stone Carving Classes in the Dublin area.
    We are looking for people to register their interest in a weekend class at our D15 studios, Castleknock near the Phoenix park.

Stone and tools are supplied and the course is suitable for all levels, including beginners. Participants will be tutored on a one-to-one basis to support each person in realising their own project. Participants may be able to go away with a finished piece of work or with a sculpture that can be easily finished away from the studio. Non beginners may wish to start a more complex piece to work on over a longer period of time. You may already have an idea of what you wish to carve. If you have no set ideas then that is fine; a suitable project can be set for you.The only thing necessary to bring are steel capped safety boots.

The classes are 6.30-9.30 every Tuesday for 6 weeks starting 13th September
    Classes costs 220 euro which includes your stone and use of our tools.

If you are interested and want more info. Please PM me

• Advertisement

Mixed craft and pottery classes for kids - starting in 2 weeks time.
    Pottery classes for adults and cardmaking classes for adults.
    Kiln hire and work space to rent.
    In Portlaoise. See "i made it " on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1127529910656610&id=1077760645633537

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Artist83

Sceitse Craft & Design Evening Classes for Adults in Marino College Dublin:

Explore the world of craft and design by sampling a range of enjoyable hand-made projects with an experienced teacher. Tap into your creative side as you learn how to craft hand-bound books, handmade cards, embroidered decorations, and more.

This class is suitable for novices who have always wanted to try crafts but never had the time, but will also be enjoyed by more seasoned crafters seeking to explore new ideas and meet like-minded people.

Each week, the teacher will demonstrate some specific techniques at the start, and students will then create their own pieces in the class. Students will also receive handouts on the techniques they will be learning.
    Prices €120.00 per 8-week term.

Materials will be provided by the teacher, but students can also bring in their own materials.

Enrolments on Tuesday 6th, Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th Sept in Marino College between 17.00 and 20.oo.

Visit the Marino Institute website for more information.

Class Times Tuesdays 19.00- 21.00 starting September 20th.

More information on Sceitse classes here:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

Hi guys,

For anyone interested in learning the art of dressmaking - I'd recommend Sew Easy Studio in Stillorgan.
    I've been to two other sewing schools in Dublin where I ended up with no finished garment (quite disappointing :pac:). At Sew Easy, there are 6 week blocks where you start a garment with the aim of getting it finished by the end of it (depending on how complex patterns are)...so far I've made a skirt, a dress, a shirt, a tunic, a simple jacket, cushions and some tops.

I started the dressmaking classes almost a year ago and have learnt so much about fabrics and techniques and can now make my own clothes :D with the help of Maebh who runs it, a really patient and experienced teacher I cannot recommend highly enough. Just wish I had found her classes first!
    There's a really nice learning atmosphere in the classes and some lovely students who I've also learnt from and have gotten inspired by craft wise.

Hope this helps anyone looking for dressmaking classes/wanting to learn how to machine sew and make their own garments from patterns. More info on courses on her website www.seweasy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you like to learn some Medieval textile crafts?

There will be two one-day courses on 1st and 2nd April introducing drop-spindle spinning, naalbinding, fingerloop braiding and a look at tablet weaving. Taking place in the Irish National Heritage Park in Wexford

http://www.inhp.com/product/introduction-to-medieval-textile-skills-with-leine-medieval-crafters-1st-april-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

Hi

Furniture upcycling and Decoupage courses available in Cons Creations, Castledermot Co Kildare. Find them on facebook www.facebook.com/conscreationscraft/

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Would it ok to post in here about a workshop in October that I am giving in Wool Spinning on spindle and spinning wheel, or is that considered advertising , and possibly not allowed?
    thanks
    d

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where and when, sounds great, I'd love to try this as I work with spinners but I can't bring anymore kit into my house so a workshop would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi wmpdd3,
    The spinning workshop is in Boher Community Centre , which is about 15km from Limerick city, along the Tipperary road.. The date is Saturday October 14th , from 10am to 5pm. Cost €65 per person.
    If this date doesn't suit, I will probably be doing one again in the Spring.
    We will be spinning on drop spindles and on spinning wheels.
    Thanks for your interest,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have a little studio in Milford just outside Carlow town, check out the website or telephone for more details! :)
    www.thecrackedpotstudio.com

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of pottery classes in and around Carlow town. I relaise it's a n old post but the one above brought me here but the website seems to be in America :confused:

It would need to be parent & child friendly as I have an eager if a bit shy daughter looking to try it out and I wouldn't mind doing so myself. Any recommendations? I saw the one in Graiguenamanagh which I will folllow up on.

Thanks (mods please move if better suited elsewhere)

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does anyone know of pottery classes in and around Carlow town. I relaise it's a n old post but the one above brought me here but the website seems to be in America :confused:

It would need to be parent & child friendly as I have an eager if a bit shy daughter looking to try it out and I wouldn't mind doing so myself. Any recommendations? I saw the one in Graiguenamanagh which I will folllow up on.

Thanks (mods please move if better suited elsewhere)

Jane at The Sunshine Pottery teaches classes in Carlow town - you can find her on Facebook. Hope this helps.

Advertisement