Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young Sheldon-US-Pace-CBS (**Spoilers**)

• 18-05-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

First Look.
    YOUNG SHELDON – For 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper (Iain Armitage), it isn’t easy growing up in East Texas. Being a once-in-a-generation mind capable of advanced mathematics and science isn’t always helpful in a land where church and football are king. And while the vulnerable, gifted and somewhat naïve Sheldon deals with the world, his very normal family must find a way to deal with him. THE BIG BANG THEORY’s multiple Emmy Award winner Jim Parsons narrates as Adult Sheldon. This single-camera, half-hour comedy gives us the chance to meet Sheldon in childhood, as he embarks on his innocent, awkward and hopeful journey toward the man he will become. Chuck Lorre and Steve Molaro created the series and executive produce along with Jim Parsons and Todd Spiewak for Warner Bros. Television. Jon Favreau directed the pilot.

https://twitter.com/YoungSheldon/status/864959115465850880

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that could be hilarious

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jim Parsons narratives will be good, not Ron Howard arrested development good but who knows.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That looks entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If they keep laugh track/live audience away from this, it actually has a lot of potential to be good. Reminds me more of one of the ABC comedies than something that would appear on CBS (and that is a compliment of the highest order in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wasn't even going to look at that trailer based on the horrible parent show, but that looks surprisingly great - it's actually funny and has a lot of heart.

Please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Man this looks good.
    Could be horrible or amazing depending how it's handled.
    And hopefully it's a funny sympathetic look from young Sheldon's perspective.

Something like this is oddly long overdue. And hopefully celebratory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    Please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track please no laugh track.....
    It's doesn't have one. I thought people were already aware that Young Sheldon wasn't going to have a laugh track.

I'd argue that people who don't give a crap about TBBT aren't going to go looking for specifics about its spinoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Trailer looked good.
    No laugh track thank god.
    The father-son relationship looks fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Well that's not what I was expecting. Looked quite charming.

Not sure it's a great idea to have the BBT link and Sheldon narrating. This seems a "show with heart" whereas BBT is an obnoxious gag show. They're going to have to tone narrator Sheldon down from his BBT persona or else there'll be a mismatch in tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    I'd argue that people who don't give a crap about TBBT aren't going to go looking for specifics about its spinoff.
    I don't like TBBT, and "didn't look for specifics" for this show, but when hearing about this show originally, one of the only noteworthy things about the series, was that it wasn't going to have a laugh track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Wonder Years

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This starts tonight in the States.

I give it a shot from the teasers and the trailer it looks like it might be a bit of fun.

E4 have the rights to this and will show it next year.

As a ground setting pilot I enjoyed it.

Also a nice little cameo from Bob Newhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I enjoyed it to. Makes me wish I'd paid more attention to what happened to his brother & sister in TBBT

Don't think we have seen his brother, his sister is a non identical twin or as Sheldon says a fraternal twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Decent enough opening episode. Nothing ground breaking, but entertaining and funny. Along the lines of The Middle, and Malcolm in the Middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

17.2 million viewers for the pilot which is great numbers in 2017. Basically kept all of TBBT's audience and up against very strong competition too with season premiere of the voice, week 2 of dancing with the stars and the start of the cowboys game on espn which created a ton of headlines with jerry jones owner of the cowboys kneeling in protest with his team

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw alot of negative feedback about the first episode regarding the autistic nature of Sheldon. I guess I'll have to watch it myself to see what it's like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

I would rather peel the skin off my face with a rusty razor blade than watch 5 minutes of this.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Saw alot of negative feedback about the first episode regarding the autistic nature of Sheldon. I guess I'll have to watch it myself to see what it's like

What was the feedback? Do you have any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zoe Perry who plays the mom is the daughter of Laurie Metcalf

Not back until the 2nd Nov :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I know that surprised me too, I was thinking I somehow overlooked it, very weired to have the pilot shown this early and than go on a long hiatus for the 2nd episode, what are they thinking?

Giving it a lead in with the returning parent series more than likely to give it a huge boost and put it on people's radars.

The second episode aired last night and I enjoyed it as much as the pilot I will stick with it.

I have been really enjoying this it has the charm it's sister show lost many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The father is very good

• Advertisement

Memaw very good George senior too

Advertisement