Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like to see money spent on

• 26-09-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am doing a poll on what you want to be money spent on

Edit: 15 for Infrastructure? Really? Is infrastructure really bad in some areas, i know outside of the major cities/town the infrastructure is good but is outside really that bad in the rural areas? I thought the HSE or transport would get more

What do you want money sent to out of these options 43 votes

Education
    0%
    Military
    0%
    Bank Reserve
    2%
    Donal55 1 vote
    Relief fund, national
    0%
    Relief fund, international
    0%
    Infrastructure
    0%
    Helping the poor
    51%
    emmet02Vex Willemsafatbollix7samuraiWoollyRedHatjohnp001keane2097titan18MorzadecTiddlypeepsSkylineheadZymurgistjd1983slievenamon fellaAlan30Wheeliebin30ArthurDayneDoltanianbackspin.Kayshee123 22 votes
    Creating more jobs outside the Dublin City Region
    0%
    HSE
    6%
    Ferris_BuellerBeerFartsJMNolan 3 votes
    Transport
    11%
    ednwirelandwiz569bob50LaChatteGitane[Deleted User] 5 votes
    A tunnel between Ireland and the UK like the Channel Tunnel
    13%
    yermanoffthetvbellbivdefoeZeroThreatTrent HouseboatvmbOrange Juice 935 6 votes
    A high speed Rail line between the major cites/towns
    2%
    Heart Break Kid 1 vote
    Industry
    2%
    NotorietyH 1 vote
    Green Power, Hydro, Solar, wind etc
    0%
    Nuclear Power
    6%
    CrabRevolutioneldamonoel100 3 votes
    Tax relief on lower income families
    2%
    death1234567 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lowering Taxes for middle income families, a marginal rate for USC, Income tax etc. of 52% is too high.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

OP.

Going to need more information from you. What's your opinion here.

This is a discussion forum , not survey information collection/

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Inquitus wrote: »
    Lowering Taxes for middle income families, a marginal rate for USC, Income tax etc. of 52% is too high.

I'd rather they lowered the cost base of the economy rather than lowering taxes. Infrastructure and NHS like health care system would be a far greater boon to the entire nation rather than a few extra euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Maybe target pension increases on people who need them.

Not just giving them to everyone.

Proper childcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

- Broadband in all areas. Facilitates business, allows people to work from home etc. Will ease the pressure on bigger cities.

- Public transport to/from and in larger cities including cycling facilities. To a decent level. Way way too many cars in cities ATM.

- Functional housing within a reasonable distance to urban centres that fulfill basic living standards that some people are currently deprived off. i.e. a place to prepare food, roof over the head, sanitary facilities. Build in bulk, nothing fancy.

- A grant or relief system for businesses that set up outside of large cities. Ease the pressure on the larger cities which are currently at capacity.

- Reform An Garda Siochana. A new Board and new Executive Team with experience of running organisations with 15000+ employees and a billion euro budget. Policing experience not essential.

- Childcare. Relief for families to make it affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

Helping the poor
    I think the country needs to address the homelessness crisis before anything else.

Kayshee123 wrote: »
    I think the country needs to address the homelessness crisis before anything else.

Easier said than done. What exactly would you address and when?

Helping the poor

Easier said than done. What exactly would you address and when?
    Yea that’s true but you have to start somewhere. More social housing needs to be built and for the likes of students in Dublin, families should be given more of an incentive to have student tenants because it’s almost impossible to find accommodation as a student in Dublin.

Transport
    noodler wrote: »
    Maybe target pension increases on people who need them.

Not just giving them to everyone.

Proper childcare.

Everyone who qualifies gets the contributory pension and also any increases, rightly so.

Yea that’s true but you have to start somewhere. More social housing needs to be built and for the likes of students in Dublin, families should be given more of an incentive to have student tenants because it’s almost impossible to find accommodation as a student in Dublin.

Giving incentives to families is just a bonus to middle class homeowners . If anything the government should be declaring colleges and universities as high rise zone and funding them to build multistory apartments using government loan of some kind.

• Advertisement

Transport
    Giving incentives to families is just a bonus to middle class homeowners ...............

Middle class homeowners are the main tax payers in the country. Their tax funds the RA and SW for those who need assistance.

Augeo wrote: »
    Middle class homeowners are the main tax payers in the country. Their tax funds the RA and SW for those who need assistance.

Agreed but my point was giving this money to homeowners does little to address to root cause and would in fact divert money away from tackling the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another increase in the pension seems a fairly ludicrous use of limited taxpayer monies, the HSE is a money pit and the Dept of Education shouldn't receive another penny unless it's for CPO's to remove our educational infrastructure from the clutches of cults.

I'm going to suggest any investment should be in the creation of a waste reduction department whose entire purpose would be to make the changes that could save us a fortune and reduce public expenditure but politicians will never propose or vote for. Anyone currently subscribed to, or involved with, a Trade Union, need not apply.

e.g. Replacing child benefit with tax credits and Increased Qualified Child Allowances in welfare payments. Net neutral effect on citizens though it would render an entire section of the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection redundant, saving the exchequer a fortune whilst also possibly redeployment of some of the staff to areas of the Civil Service that are under-resourced.

I'd also like to see teachers given the pay parity their unions keep carping about by reducing the pre-2011 teacher's pay in order to give the post-2011 teachers who they sold down the river the raises they deserve. Don't like it? Leave. There's a surplus of teachers who qualified post-2011 tin the country who'd be delighted to take your job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Helping the poor
    Every county in Ireland should be connected by Motorway, build the Dublin metro and stop wasting money on the HSE and abolish all social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

There should also be a 'Public Service Standards' body which oversees the performance of all State funded organisations.

All organisations should have minimum KPIs to meet and where they're not the body should have the authority to recommend dismissal of any staff which are not meeting demands. Needs to be more accountability in the Public Service and a process to facilitate the removal of those that are not performing. Too many lifers tipping away and not performing.

Helping the poor

Giving incentives to families is just a bonus to middle class homeowners . If anything the government should be declaring colleges and universities as high rise zone and funding them to build multistory apartments using government loan of some kind.
    Yea I agree but something has to be done about accommodation for students. After all, the government should be encouraging people to go to college and with little to no places to live where the colleges are it does quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Orange Juice 935

A tunnel between Ireland and the UK like the Channel Tunnel
    Metro? Every election they say they are going to make one, not gonna happy anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Helping the poor
    I am doing a poll on what you want to be money spent on

Edit: 15 for Infrastructure? Really? Is infrastructure really bad in some areas, i know outside of the major cities/town the infrastructure is good but is outside really that bad in the rural areas? I thought the HSE or transport would get more

Yes, it is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augeo wrote: »
    Everyone who qualifies gets the contributory pension and also any increases, rightly so.

?

Not entirely sure if you have missed my point or you don't under that a substantial number of people claiming the state pension have other sources of income including private pensions and a five euro increase in it means nothing to them.

On the other hand it coats the state 150m and the opportunity cost in terms of childcare, infrastructure, health and education is huge.

The State should aim resources where they are most needed. Giving everyone a payment regardless of means is not the most efficient use of resources.

Advertisement