Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

attendance

• 24-09-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

a few weeks ago the gaa gave the att at the camogie final as over 20 000
    ie the ground is a quarter full , but it looked like about 10 000....
    now they tell us the attendance is 46 000 .. thats about 70% of the seating
    but it was not so how do they calculate the attendance ?

do they add in ten year tickets ? corporate boxes?
    now most the crowd were children bused in <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hitler Youth?! FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It would be interesting to know how many tickets were paid for and how many were comped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

How many children were present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

C__MC wrote: »
    How many children were present ?

Lots and it was great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

If you've a problem with kids getting a freebie day out at these games give your head a shake. I was coming north on the M1 today when the games were over and there was loads of bus load after bus load on it heading home. Great to see and keeps the interest going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think 46k turning up at Croke Park for the All-Ireland ladies is a magnificent story, and I don't care if they were children or complimentaries.

http://www.the42.ie/may-clare-qualifiers-report-3486851-Jul2017/

Considering only 11,500 turned up for the Mayo qualifier game against Clare, it is an encouraging sign that a ladies game gets more interest than a senior championship game involving one of the same teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭chubba1984

Eh...the capacity of Cusack Park in Ennis is 11,500....i.e. a full house for that game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The ladies' football and camogie finals aren't free to children, but are cheap, especially if bought ahead of time. Many clubs/schools bring busloads, as it's about the only way to get children into Croker these days in a group for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dublinspy wrote: »
    a few weeks ago the gaa gave the att at the camogie final as over 20 000
    ie the ground is a quarter full , but it looked like about 10 000....
    now they tell us the attendance is 46 000 .. thats about 70% of the seating
    but it was not so how do they calculate the attendance ?

do they add in ten year tickets ? corporate boxes?
    now most the crowd were children bused in -- in a hitler youth movement style operation,,

:)

Maybe the FAI should try that?

Children would probably jump off the bus or abseil out of the stands first...

rpurfield wrote: »
    If you've a problem with kids getting a freebie day out at these games give your head a shake. I was coming north on the M1 today when the games were over and there was loads of bus load after bus load on it heading home. Great to see and keeps the interest going.

All singing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWyK_JU-100

:)

Problem with first time poster above is they hate the "gah."

Mock them, I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Laughable how people will try to take a positive story and make a negative out of it.

Look at this picture taken well after the game had finished and you will see the Upper Cusack full as far the Davin stand.

They opened the upper Cusack because the lower stands were SOLD OUT.

Oh - but this is because 'children were bussed in' as if someone dogcatcher van had gone out and rounded up strays and waifs.

As if kids dont count, they're not real fans.....

https://twitter.com/dublinladiesg/status/912058930431447041

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Kids tickets are a tenner.

Any clubs that block book tickets for the final get a reduction per ticket.

They are not freebies.

Anyone that thinks that a large attendance of kids at a sporting event is a negative has a screw loose

Shall Dublinspy's posts reach 2?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Video of the Cusack stand before the parade shows how big a crowd it was.

https://twitter.com/RTERadio1/status/911967571422916608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.balls.ie%2Fgaa%2Fattendance-record-smashed-croke-park-ladies-ireland-finals-374279
    Helped that it was a beautiful day in Dublin.
    How anyone can make this into a bad thing is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Paulzx wrote: »
    Kids tickets are a tenner.

Any clubs that block book tickets for the final get a reduction per ticket.

They are not freebies.

Anyone that thinks that a large attendance of kids at a sporting event is a negative has a screw loose

There are plenty of freebies for the ultimate end user of the ticket because every club in the land has had to pay a levy which entitles them to redeem tickets for yesterday. Lots of clubs redeem these and give them out for free. This is the only aspect of their ticketing I don't agree with. Clubs shouldn't have to pay this bill. Entering teams in LGFA is already expensive enough when compared to the GAA.

Agree 100% with your last sentence. Great to see so many in there yesterday. Our own club brought a bus load in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

This actually reminds me, years ago clubs could get U14 tickets for most games in Croker and they were like a pound a something like that price wise. I reckon the majority of Meath matches between 96 and 98 I went to on those tickets, they were normally in the Nally or the corner of the Hogan and Canal end or the first block of the Cusack. Would they still do that for clubs for Senior mens inter county games?

EDIT: They were blocks of tickets for clubs

This actually reminds me, years ago clubs could get U14 tickets for most games in Croker and they were like a pound a something like that price wise. I reckon the majority of Meath matches between 96 and 98 I went to on those tickets, they were normally in the Nally or the corner of the Hogan and Canal end or the first block of the Cusack. Would they still do that for clubs for Senior mens inter county games?

They don't do that any more.

Like yesterday they should be offering concessions to clubs to bring their players. We brought young fellas to league games when we got the much maligned sponsors to give us freebies to unused boxes and most of them who were playing underage probably never have been to a game other than that.

GAA needs to be careful it doesn't lose its potential future audience. In that respect, LGFA and clubs from the six participating counties yesterday deserve a massive pat on back. My two nieces were there who wouldn't have gotten smell of a ticket for the mens final despite playing underage club. So well done. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

95% sure there are tickets like these still available

http://www.gaa.ie/tickets/club-offers
    Club Offers
    The GAA Group Pass

Available to all GAA clubs for all Croke Park fixtures (bar the All-Ireland Finals) and selected GAA Championship fixtures.

€3 per juvenile (16 or under),
    1 adult free for every 10 juveniles,
    Additional adults at stand face value,
    Seats in Davin Stand in Croke Park,
    Payment in advance is required.
    Strictly limited to 1 application per Club
    GROUP PASS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2017
    The GAA Club Pass

Available to all GAA clubs for GAA Senior Championship All-Ireland Quarter Finals and Semi Finals in Croke Park/Semple Stadium/Pairc Uí Chaoimh.

€10 per Adult
    All Ireland Quarter Finals/Semi Finals only
    Minimum 15, Maximum 50 adults
    Seats in Davin Stand in Croke Park
    Payment in advance is required.
    Strictly limited to 1 application per Club.
    CLUB PASS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2017

BOTH THE GROUP AND CLUB PASSES ARE PROCESSED SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY FOR INDIVIDUAL FIXTURES.

Also the television audience for the final was the highest ever.

A figure of 303,800 is given here which compares very favourably to the men's final
    The main event of the All-Ireland final triple-header between Dublin and Mayo reached 563,000 viewers, as viewing peaked at 5.24pm with 409,700 people watching live.

http://www.the42.ie/ladies-all-ireland-final-viewers-record-broken-3614610-Sep2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's great to see such support but comparisons with the Men's game are a bit fanciful imo. You would sell 1,046,000 tickets for the mens final if you could accommodate them at those prices.

Not sure about the TV coverage being so close either. It was widely reported that viewership was well over 1 million for the final.

"The RTÉ2 programme drew an average audience of 1,137,500 – 80.65% of all those watching TV in Ireland at the time were tuned in to the Sunday Game."

http://www.thejournal.ie/how-many-people-watched-all-ireland-football-final-3604571-Sep2017/

It's fantastic to see the growth of the game and I hope it continues, it's a very different game and probably shouldn't be compared with the Mens.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

What attendances are people predicting for the upcoming league games? Personally, I think we will see record crowds this year across the country. Starting off in Cork in the new PUC with Cork Tipp and Cork Kilkenny under lights should be hitting 15,000-20,000.

There have been some strong crowds already in the Preseason Competitions such as
    5,000 in Enniskillen for Fermanagh vs. Tyrone
    3,000 in the Hyde yesterday for Mayo/Ros
    3,200 at Gaelic Grounds for Clare v Limerick
    3,544 at the Walsh Cup hurling final between Wexford and Kilkenny

• Advertisement

There will be 25,000+ in Croke Park on Saturday.

On subject of attendances, was watching TG4 reshowing of Mayo/Derry.

Where did all the extra Mayo supporters materialise from for the final?

Bonniedog wrote: »

You can ask the same of the dubs, the galway hurling fans etc etc. Success brings fans which is how it should be.
    Plus not everyone can support teams by going to every match right throughout the season from any county. Getting to every Mayo game last year would have cost a small fortune for your average family.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Bonniedog wrote: »

A lot of overseas Mayo fans travel home for the finals - I know people who travelled from the UK, America, Australia and Dubai for last years final. People are terrified they will miss the year! The UK fans maybe made 1/2 other games and the others had been to none. But these people are fanatics who just happen to live far away. That certainly accounts for some of the extras. We also travelled around the world in 80 days last summer and had a pretty big travelling support. Like all counties, we have plenty of bandwagoners too unfortunately!

glack wrote: »
    A lot of overseas Mayo fans travel home for the finals - I know people who travelled from the UK, America, Australia and Dubai for last years final. People are terrified they will miss the year! The UK fans maybe made 1/2 other games and the others had been to none. But these people are fanatics who just happen to live far away. That certainly accounts for some of the extras. We also travelled around the world in 80 days last summer and had a pretty big travelling support. Like all counties, we have plenty of bandwagoners too unfortunately!

What's unfortunate about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

kippy wrote: »
    What's unfortunate about it?

Try sitting beside someone who clearly hasn't a clue. Last year, the person next to me kept cheering for players that had been substituted etc. She told me herself that she hadn't been to any games all year. She hadn't a notion what was going on and drove me bonkers shouting out things that didn't make sense. I was stressed enough without that!!

Advertisement