Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

• 08-07-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Fortnite, the new F2P survival sandbox game from Epic, just got its first gameplay trailer.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a more varied Orcs Must Die with additional base building and a stronger emphasis on online and co-op play. Could be fun judging by the trailer but I guess it'll depend on who you're playing with.

Polygon, Eurogamer et al have features on it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is that Agent Coulson speaking in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's F2p so no harm in trying, looks alright but I'd need to see more of the building.
    humanji wrote: »
    Is that Agent Coulson speaking in it?

I don't think so, it sounds a bit off to be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thought this game might have been dead, but nope, they have confirmed it will be released on PC, Mac, PS4 and Xbox One July 25th, and if you pre-order you get a 4 day head start.

Edit: Persona 5 players, is the voice over the same person who does Morgana?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

This actually looks really good? Is the fort permanent or is it only something that exists per game session? How may people can co op? is it just 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Eurogamer has a preview of the game based on some playtime at Epic, Berlin.

Fortnite's fun is buried under five years of gaming's clutter.

Worryingly, it echoes many of my fears after watching the gameplay trailer above, seeing the layers of modern F2P mechanics which have been placed on top of what was originally a fairly simple concept. As the article says though, that would have been a different take on Orcs Must Die and not another games-as-a-service title which Epic have now embraced. Great for folks who are into that but sadly, probably not for me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

It looks like it could be a lot of fun, it'd be a real shame if they ruin it with F2P model :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

60 quid for early access.

Thats not F2P

It'll be F2P at launch, paying the £34.99 (or more if you were so inclined) now gets you six months early access plus seven loot crates and some other tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

gizmo wrote: »
    It'll be F2P at launch, paying the £34.99 (or more if you were so inclined) now gets you six months early access plus seven loot crates and some other tat.

So this game, originally announced and been in development since 2011, is going to have an Early Access period!

Cmon lads, its only Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies and Sunset Overdrive thrown into a blender... :rolleyes:

Saying that, it kinda does look a bit fun. It will largely depend on how well the combat plays out, weight of guns and all, alongside what actual stuff you can pull off with traps/mazes/etc.

The scale of the forts took me aback, was expecting a little shack with some wooden planks nailed over the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has anyone jumped on the early access for this yet. Looks interesting from a few videos i watched on twitch last night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Has anyone jumped on the early access for this yet. Looks interesting from a few videos i watched on twitch last night

Downloading atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I played a couple of hours of this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I've mostly played on my own, with one game with others. We didn't have comms, so it was kind of funny with us all doing whatever we wanted and making a mess of things. But for full enjoyment you'd need a group of friends with comms. Single-player, though, isn't that bad and is actually kind of relaxing.

It's got a few minor annoyances. My main one is that you're given a load of systems thrown at you and not fully explained. It's not too tough figuring things out yourself, but the menu screens are very busy and figuring out what each thing does is sometimes trial and error which wastes resources.

I think this will be the kind of thing I load up just to have a quick playabout and then I'll leave it to play something else.

Just for anyone jumping in: you don't have to rush anything when setting up bases. You're essentially told to build your defences and then press a button to start the horde mode. So you can take as long as you like. I rushed the first couple of levels as I thought I had to. It's more fun taking your time and trying to make the perfect zombie trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

So for the people that have played it do you think it's worth the way buy in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    So for the people that have played it do you think it's worth the way buy in?

Ya its fun too play , no regrets here about paying for it. It is playable on you're own but it really fun with other people.

It is entirely playable solo, as you will be matched with others for most matches (and then you spend the rest of the mission wondering why they build every defense out of wood....its like super brittle).

Only time this never happens for me is the Storm Shield defenses, never get matched when defending my own but get dropped into them constantly when picking random mission. So just had to create elaborate mazes of overhead shock pads as its the only good trap I have.

What platforms are folks playing on (no crossplay but PC + PS4 share progress if you link accounts)? I am Danteire on PC.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    It is entirely playable solo, as you will be matched with others for most matches (and then you spend the rest of the mission wondering why they build every defense out of wood....its like super brittle).

Only time this never happens for me is the Storm Shield defenses, never get matched when defending my own but get dropped into them constantly when picking random mission. So just had to create elaborate mazes of overhead shock pads as its the only good trap I have.

What platforms are folks playing on (no crossplay but PC + PS4 share progress if you link accounts)? I am Danteire on PC.

Is that the same for Xbox? So if you get the paid version with the extras does it carry over to the other platform without having to pay for the content twice?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that the same for Xbox? So if you get the paid version with the extras does it carry over to the other platform without having to pay for the content twice?

Xbox version is completely stand alone, no idea why!

As for getting multiple versions, managed to find it on the PSN, its listed under the F2P section and not with the rest of the bundles. Its around 9Gb so will drop info on whats carried between PC/PS4 and if you could play both games at the same time :D (prob not though).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So this is F2p from morrow for everyone else?

Does buying it give you anything useful? ie is it worth it?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So this is F2p from morrow for everyone else?

Does buying it give you anything useful? ie is it worth it?

No, its going F2P sometime early next year. Its available for purchase tomorrow, the past 4 days were a quick start for those that preorder.

What you get for purchasing is early access, and several bonuses. These can range from schematics for weapons and traps, hero cards, and free llama pinatas (the paid way to gain extra gear).

Whether its worth the cost, hard to say. You do get access to a lot of llama packs which help in building a stable of good weapons/traps. But you still need to find resources in-game to build anything, the tech trees are only advance-able via Commander XP gained from completing a mission or Research points earned over time, never saw anything to change these apart from a Boost for the Commander XP in a llama.

Anyone else not able too log in ? On ps4 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has anyone played the battle royale version?
    complete rip off of PUBG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to chuckle over the heated arguments about originality in a genre that has literally and liberally taken its name and core conceit from a book / film series :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw the story how the PUBG creators are "unhappy and considering further action". They'll do nothing because they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court, I'd say.

I seriously doubt PUBG are the first who have done a battle royale type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

J. Marston wrote: »
    Saw the story how the PUBG creators are "unhappy and considering further action". They'll do nothing because they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court, I'd say.

I seriously doubt PUBG are the first who have done a battle royale type of game.

I doubt they'll do anything but the whole reason it's got Player Unknown in the title is because he's known in the BR community as the guy who basically created the genre.

I have to chuckle over the heated arguments about originality in a genre that has literally and liberally taken its name and core conceit from a book / film series :pac:
    It's even more amusing when you consider they didn't even get an official licence for the Battle Royale cosmetics they included in the paid loot boxes from back at Gamescom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

J. Marston wrote: »

Of course their not.
    Sure H1Z1 King of the Hill was a battle Royale before PUBG was released.
    Also even before that, RUST had a mod that allowed for Battle Royale which an ever shrinking map.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Played the battle royale mode.

Its a lot of fun and I am looking forward to playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The current wave of battle royale games started with a mod in Arma. Brendan Greene,creator of PUBG,made that mod with his team.

He was then hired by daybreak studios to work on H1Z1 King of the Kill which he did for awhile. After leaving there he set up his own company to make PUBG. So in a way he has been behind/helped the genre get to where it is currently.

Also i dont think the argument here is that Fortnite and PUBG have the same game type,its that Epic games have used PUBG in promotioanal material to fans and media using PUBG to reference their own game,which imo was dumb.

I think Fortnites version of Battle Royale looks good,hopefully they can push ahead and make it without being sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

EoinHef wrote:
    Also i dont think the argument here is that Fortnite and PUBG have the same game type,its that Epic games have used PUBG in promotioanal material to fans and media using PUBG to reference their own game,which imo was dumb.

No publicity done them as much favours promoting the mode than PUBG acknowledging it tbh.
    Can't speak for others but I didn't know about it until then. Think then I heard GTA V have made a similar mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Played the battle royale mode.

Its a lot of fun and I am looking forward to playing it again.

how was it last night? it was terrible the first night, I was getting constant lag and rubberbanding. If I was to say it reminds me of anything, strangely enough I'd say saints row?

Advertisement