Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wow, I hope cycliq is on to them as they've just basically ripped of the Fly6

All this is for the UK too though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Weepsie wrote: »
    All this is for the UK too though?

Available in Ireland on the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Nothingness their website yet 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Still no workstand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Workstand in Halfords for €48

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe cycliq sold them the units?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Some interesting stuff this time. Lights/camera combo, Turbo's and merino clothing.
    Hopefully all good quality.
    Think it's only the lights and light camera that are new this year?

Merino on my list for the winter - anyone got the aldi merino base layers other years that can recommend (or otherwise)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

FFS, I hate to be one of those people moaning about prices across the border/currency conversions, but 39.99 GBP vs 59.99 euro is madness for the camera/light. I'd have been happy enough to see it for 49.99 euro, and that would still be generous to Aldi, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

One of their front light/rear light designs is basically the Moon Crescent. Again, maybe Moon do a generic model for rebranding by discount retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The front light is very similar in design to the Leyzene 450XL/350XL!

Plan on getting merino LS top and LS jersey and possibly neck warmer too.

cython wrote: »
    FFS, I hate to be one of those people moaning about prices across the border/currency conversions, but 39.99 GBP vs 59.99 euro is madness for the camera/light. I'd have been happy enough to see it for 49.99 euro, and that would still be generous to Aldi, IMHO.

the turbo trainer is proportionally a bigger rip-off at €79.99 vs £49.99 (1.6 times)

The exchange rate is £1 to €1.13 ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

These look reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Hi all. Any informed opinions on these lights? Anyone got them before or something similar?

https://www.aldi.ie/bikemate-front-%26-rear-led-bike-light/p/079057169938700

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tacklemore wrote: »
    Hi all. Any informed opinions on these lights? Anyone got them before or something similar?

https://www.aldi.ie/bikemate-front-%26-rear-led-bike-light/p/079057169938700

Thanks!
    The rear light is one I referred to above as a copy of the Moon Crescent. I use white Moon Crescents as wrist lights. They're really good considering the size and weight, although on steady at lowest power, the way I use them, they're only good for a bit over two hours before they need recharging.

If the Aldi knock-off is anywhere near as good, it's probably an adequate rear light for urban commutes.

Really pee'd off with that Irish tax. Tried to order it to parcel motel from their .co.uk site, but getting tripped up trying to pay with an Irish card as it's insisting on a UK post code.

The clothing I want is all ball park acceptable on the conversion, seems to be only the camera (and turbo) that they're taking the píss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Really pee'd off with that Irish tax. Tried to order it to parcel motel from their .co.uk site, but getting tripped up trying to pay with an Irish card as it's insisting on a UK post code.

The clothing I want is all ball park acceptable on the conversion, seems to be only the camera (and turbo) that they're taking the píss.

You could try Revolut, and set Parcel Motel as the billing address on the card?

You could try Revolut, and set Parcel Motel as the billing address on the card?
    tbh It's peeing me off even feeling the need to feel the need to have to look for a bike camera when I've other bike related stuff I'd rather spend it on. Even with the Irish Tax, still a lot cheaper than a fly6, so might think on it until Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

my exact first thought when i saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

my exact first thought when i saw it!

Do you guys think it's a good buy then? Will it automatically record over old stuff? (can't remember the term for that). I don't need the light but would buy for the camera alone at that price. Spec says:

• Megapixels: 1
    • Memory Card Slot: Yes
    • Power Source: Battery
    • Product Type: Cycling Accessories
    • Rechargeable: Yes
    • Resolution: 1920 x 1080p 30fps
    • Video Mode: AVI
    • Voltage: Battery: 3.7v
    • Sensor viewing angle 100°
    • USB 2.0 and Micro SD ports
    • Includes 8GB Micro SD card, and can support up to 32GB class 10 Micro SD Cards
    • Battery capacity 2600mAh
    • ISO range 100-800
    • 25 Frame rate
    • Records rear view
    • Micro SD slot
    • Micro USB port
    • Records in 1920 x 1080p 30fps video resolution
    • Up to 6 hours of video recording battery life

Other than the 6 hours recording I haven't a clue whether the rest of it is good or bad...

• Advertisement

Other than the 6 hours recording I haven't a clue whether the rest of it is good or bad...
    I compared spec - it's matches the fly6. I assume it's actually been licenced/ rebadged from cycliq tbh. Stuff like the loop recording though I couldn't find about the aldi one.

I compared spec - it's matches the fly6. I assume it's actually been licenced/ rebadged from cycliq tbh. Stuff like the loop recording though I couldn't find about the aldi one.

i suspect if it doesn't mention it then it doesn't do it? also, the battery life sounds short, i get well in excess of 6 hours from my fly6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

i suspect if it doesn't mention it then it doesn't do it? also, the battery life sounds short, i get well in excess of 6 hours from my fly6.

Can't believe it wouldn't do loop recording. Not much use otherwise, who would remember to clean down the memory card after every cycle? I have the original Fly 6 from Kickstarter and it would struggle to do 5 hours with full lighting to be honest. If I turn the lighting to it's lowest setting it would probably do 5 hours.

Fly6 only claims 6 hours as per the cycliq website.

Fly6 only claims 6 hours as per the cycliq website.

fair enough, i do 1 1/2 hours commute per day and don't have to recharge it mid-week. i do have it on lowest light setting but i assume that's what their stated battery life is based on too.

SteM wrote: »
    Can't believe it wouldn't do loop recording.

why not though?
    i can't believe that cycliq would permit the sale of their re-branded unit for nearly half the price! so to me that implies that there has to be a functionality / quality gap between this and the fly6 (if indeed it is made by cycliq).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Better resolution than the Fly6 (1080p vs 720p), definitely picking one up. I suspect Cycliq will be pouncing on this with a solicitors letter though. The idea is not novel but the design is a clear rip off.

The lights are also a clear rip of the Lezyne lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

why not though?
    i can't believe that cycliq would permit the sale of their re-branded unit for nearly half the price! so to me that implies that there has to be a functionality / quality gap between this and the fly6 (if indeed it is made by cycliq).

If it is a rip-off they even copied the light that goes around the camera, just made it square instead of circular. If they're copying to that level why wouldn't they include functionality that a £50 dashcam has? The light quality and camera would be where they make savings, not functionality like loop recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Looking at the photo in the brochure its strapped/fixed to the seatpost by Velcro rather than rubber bands. Otherwise, it looks like a fly6. If it has 3 distinct differences, it's generally not a direct copy. So method of fixing, 1080p and no loop recording (it that's the case ) is three differences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I've the latest generation fly6 . It has a Velcro fastener . Really pissed off I paid 140€ for it 2 months ago now , with this Aldi one coming out so cheap
    I'd Snap it up at that price and Aldi are fantastic for returns . Think it's usually 3 years guarantee

The fly 6 isn't fantastic for number plate identification. The fly 12 the front cam is much better though.

Advertisement