Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building up fitness over 3 wks

• 20-09-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Hi I am just coming back for injury and looking to build up fitness over 3 wks before next football game.Outside team training what exercises who you recommend to build up stamina and sharpness?Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

fire_man wrote: »
    Hi I am just coming back for injury and looking to build up fitness over 3 wks before next football game.Outside team training what exercises who you recommend to build up stamina and sharpness?Thanks

I would have thought for stamina perhaps a few steady runs building up - not sure what fitness level you are at but say start with a continuous 20min run building it up 5 minutes per week adding in some fartlek spurts throughout as you get fitter.

Sharpness wise is probably ball work, with some short sprints. Find someone who will basically kick the ball to you and run the hell out of you for 20 minutes while you maintain your form.

Just my 2c.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fire_man wrote: »

What kind of injury you had would dictate the type of return to fitness program you should do. If you have a muscle injury like a hamstring pull then avoid explosive bursts or excessive kicking with the injured leg, if it's an ankle/foot bone injury, avoid excessive kick/turning , if it's a back injury do loads of stretches.

If it was me I'd be looking to build up cardio so it'd be about doing the miles more than anything else, don't underestimate the value of a stationary bike either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Clareman wrote: »
    What kind of injury you had would dictate the type of return to fitness program you should do. If you have a muscle injury like a hamstring pull then avoid explosive bursts or excessive kicking with the injured leg, if it's an ankle/foot bone injury, avoid excessive kick/turning , if it's a back injury do loads of stretches.

If it was me I'd be looking to build up cardio so it'd be about doing the miles more than anything else, don't underestimate the value of a stationary bike either.

swimming is great for cardio
    low impact

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks guys ,It was a hamstring injury.Is it bit late doing miles now with important games coming up in few weeks. Would sprints be better.300-400m runs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement