Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Football All Stars

• 21-09-2017 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭

Here are the nominations.

PwC All-Star Football Nominations

GOALKEEPERS

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), David Clarke (Mayo), Niall Morgan (Tyrone)

DEFENDERS

Jack McCaffrey, Cian O’Sullivan, Michael Fitzsimons, Philip McMahon, John Small, Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Keith Higgins, Lee Keegan, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle, Brendan Harrison (Mayo), Paig Hampsey, Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Paul Murphy, Tadhg Morley (Kerry), Conor Devanney (Roscommon), Caolan Mooney (Down), Fintan Kelly (Monaghan).

MIDFIELDERS

James McCarthy, Brian Fenton (Dublin), Tom Parsons (Mayo), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Enda Smith (Roscommon), Kevin Feely (Kildare).

FORWARDS

Andy Moran, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O’Shea, Jason Doherty, Cillian O’Connor (Mayo), CiarKilkenny, Con O’Callaghan, Paul Mannion, Dean Rock (Dublin), Paul Geaney, Kieran Donaghy, James O’Donoghue (Kerry), Peter Harte, Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Connaire Harrison (Down), Patrick McBrearty (Donegal), Jamie Clarke (Armagh), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).

The only thing that jumps out at me is no Paddy Durkan.

Thought he would get a nomination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Checked the odds yesterday and was baffled that Fitzsimons was ahead of Barrett- he only had real challenge all season and didnt cover himself in glory against Mayo.

If the selection is heavily weighted towards the final, which we know it is, then Barrett should surely get one.
    Kinda surprised that Higgins is ahead of Barrett too to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Paddy McBrearty and fourteen others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Paddy McBrearty and fourteen others.

I suspect most would like to see this team

Clarke (Mayo)
    Higgins (Mayo)
    Keegan (Mayo)
    Barrett (Mayo)
    Boyle (Mayo)
    McCann (Tyrone)
    Murphy (Kerry)
    Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Feely (Kildare)
    O'Shea (Mayo)
    Moran (Mayo)
    Harte (Tyrone)
    Geaney (Kerry)
    Clarke (Armagh)
    McBrearty (Donegal)

7 Mayo, 2 Kerry, 3 Tyrone, 1 each for Armagh, Kildare and Donegal.

Seems like a fair reflection of the year all right. Would have had that Carlow fella who showed the Dubs how to play football in there myself, but you can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

blanch152 wrote: »

Clarke (Mayo)
    Higgins (Mayo)
    Keegan (Mayo)
    Barrett (Mayo)
    Boyle (Mayo)
    McCann (Tyrone)
    Murphy (Kerry)
    Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Feely (Kildare)
    O'Shea (Mayo)
    Moran (Mayo)
    Harte (Tyrone)
    Geaney (Kerry)
    Clarke (Armagh)
    McBrearty (Donegal)

Seems like a fair reflection of the year all right. Would have had that Carlow fella who showed the Dubs how to play football in there myself, but you can't have everything.

Due to his proximity to Dublin location wise, I want Kildares Kevin Feely removed.

blanch152 wrote: »

Clarke (Mayo)
    Higgins (Mayo)
    Keegan (Mayo)
    Barrett (Mayo)
    Boyle (Mayo)
    McCann (Tyrone)
    Murphy (Kerry)
    Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Feely (Kildare)
    O'Shea (Mayo)
    Moran (Mayo)
    Harte (Tyrone)
    Geaney (Kerry)
    Clarke (Armagh)
    McBrearty (Donegal)

Are you not back to school yet ? Or are you now posting during class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Will there be many differences from the Sunday Game TOTY? C Cavanagh in for Parsons maybe (even though if he is anywhere it should most likely be the half back line), Jason Doherty might get in ahead of McLoughlin, and I could see them try to get Rock in there. Maybe instead of O'Callaghan, seeing as he's a shoe in for YPOTY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

According to the odds the All stars will be

S Cluxton
    K Higgins
    C Barrett
    M Fitzsimons
    C Boyle
    C O'Sullivan
    J McCaffrey
    J McCarthy
    T Parsons
    K McLoughlin
    A O Shea
    C Kilkenny
    C O'Callaghan
    P Geaney
    A Moran

7 Mayo
    7 Dublin
    1 Kerry

I think Tyrone will win one so maybe C Cavanagh in for Parsons

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

S Cluxton
    K Higgins
    C Barrett
    M Fitzsimons
    C Boyle
    C O'Sullivan
    J McCaffrey
    J McCarthy
    T Parsons
    K McLoughlin
    A O Shea
    C Kilkenny
    C O'Callaghan
    P Geaney
    A Moran

7 Mayo
    7 Dublin
    1 Kerry

I think Tyrone will win one so maybe C Cavanagh in for Parsons

Mannion has to be in there for me. Geaney is a very good player but subject to a fair bit of hype... I think he scored 0-5 from play over the 2 games vs Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cooper for McCaffery imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I know he won't get one, but Fintan Kelly surely set a record for most goals scored from a defender in one season? Deserves it alone for that. Kevin Feely too was the outstanding midfielder of the Leinster championship and would rank just behind James Mc and Parsons for me.

My selection:

Cluxton

Kelly (won't get it though so Fitzsimons)
    O'Sullivan
    Higgins

Boyle
    Barrett
    McCaffrey

McCarthy
    Parsons

Kilkenny
    O'Shea
    O'Callaghan

Mannion
    Moran
    Geaney

7 Dubs (well 8 including Fitz)
    6 Mayo
    1 Kerry

1 Monaghan (if Kelly gets it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Surprised the ''story of the championship'' \\\\\\\\carlow don;t have anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Cluxton

Cooper
    Barrett
    Higgins

Boyle
    COS
    McCaffrey

McCarthy
    Cavanagh

Murphy
    O'Callaghan
    AOS

Moran
    Mannion
    Rock

Only having one token player from Kerry/Tyrone so Murphy>Geaney for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cluxton
    Cooper
    Barrett
    Higgins
    Boyle
    O Sullivan
    McCaffrey
    McCarthy
    Parsons
    McLoughlin
    O Shea
    O Callaghan
    Mannion
    Geaney
    Moran

Parsons may lose out to Kavanagh,Kilkenny loses out as a result of his relative no show in the final.Geaney gets the nod as the sole Kerry man over Murphy.Rock has had a fantastic season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cms88 wrote: »
    Surprised the ''story of the championship'' \\\\\\\\carlow don;t have anyone

Point we as made by the Carlow manager that Paddy McBrearty does not deserve a nomination any more than some Carlow players.

And he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Point we as made by the Carlow manager that Paddy McBrearty does not deserve a nomination any more than some Carlow players.

And he's right.

Na he's not

dog_pig wrote: »
    Na he's not

But what did McBrearty do in the 2017 Championship get a nomination over Carlow's Paul Broderick ?

Both players did not have an impact on the outcome of championship but it could be said that Carlow's year was above expectations where as Donegal's was below.

Now I did not see any of Donegal's or Carlow's games this year so I'll have to go on stats and from that Broderick scored 1-30 in total, McBrearty 1-26.

This is the problem with the All Stars, they go to the players from the last four and a few nominations go to well known players from other teams

A lot more people know who McBrearty is, feck all have heard about Broderick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

But what did McBrearty do in the 2017 Championship get a nomination over Carlow's Paul Broderick ?

Both players did not have an impact on the outcome of championship but it could be said that Carlow's year was above expectations where as Donegal's was below.

Now I did not see any of Donegal's or Carlow's games this year so I'll have to go on stats and from that Broderick scored 1-30 in total, McBrearty 1-26.

This is the problem with the All Stars, they go to the players from the last four and a few nominations go to well known players from other teams

Let me stop you right there.

Syferus wrote: »
    Let me stop you right there.

Did you ?

Can you tell me how one player from one team that did not make a provincial final or the All Ireland series gets a nomination over another ?

Fell free to add other names to the list too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Can you tell me how one player from one team that did not make a provincial final or the All Ireland series gets a nomination over another ?

It was interesting to see how the Carlow manager was just looking for a nomination, not necessarily an award.

Made me realize that the awards are very important not just the winners but to a lesser extent the nomination is an award itself.

I was thinking that per position they could consider a mandatory nomination for this type of position, I don't know the parameters of it , but players are overlooked continuously and it would be good to force one nomination per position that required the organisers to review and recognise the contribution of players during the earlier stages of the competition.

That S Murphy lad had a great season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Cluxton
    Fitzsimons
    COS
    Higgins
    Boyle
    Barrett
    McCaffrey
    McCarthy
    Cavanagh
    McLoughlin
    O'Callaghan
    Doherty*
    Rock
    Geaney
    Moran

*The only one I'm uncertain of, you could pick any of AOS, Kilkenny, Doherty or maybe others. I don't think anyone has stood out. AOS contribution has been overrated imo, particularly in the final. Kilkenny had a poor final and hasn't been standout throughout the season. Doherty is a workhorse who is very consistent and had a very good final so I went with him. There's probably another half forward I'm not thinking of who could slip in ahead of these 3 though.

Rest of the team was pretty easy for me. Rock I think deserves it, not a huge fan of his but he's had a good season and a great final. Geaney imo was the standout inside forward this season, aside from Andy Moran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cluxton
    Fitzsimons
    COS
    Higgins
    Boyle
    Barrett
    McCaffrey
    McCarthy
    Cavanagh
    McLoughlin
    O'Callaghan
    Doherty*
    Rock
    Geaney
    Moran

*The only one I'm uncertain of, you could pick any of AOS, Kilkenny, Doherty or maybe others. I don't think anyone has stood out. AOS contribution has been overrated imo, particularly in the final. Kilkenny had a poor final and hasn't been standout throughout the season. Doherty is a workhorse who is very consistent and had a very good final so I went with him. There's probably another half forward I'm not thinking of who could slip in ahead of these 3 though.

Rest of the team was pretty easy for me. Rock I think deserves it, not a huge fan of his but he's had a good season and a great final. Geaney imo was the standout inside forward this season, aside from Andy Moran.

I would have Mannion instead of Rock and AOS instead of Doherty. I wouldn't be sure on COS getting an All Star either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

You could say the same for Brodrick. At the end of the day Carlow only beat other Div 4 teams, with Wexford being the only surprise. What odds would you have got for them to draw both Letrim and London?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

cms88 wrote: »
    You could say the same for Brodrick. At the end of the day Carlow only beat other Div 4 teams, with Wexford being the only surprise. What odds would you have got for them to draw both Letrim and London?
    Brodrick played very well in the defeats against two Div one teams Monaghan and Dublin. McBrearty in fairness to him was very good against Galway even though his team received a trimming that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Goalkeeper: Stephen Cluxton

Full Backs: Keith Higgins, Cian O Sullivan, Michael Fitzsimons

Half Backs: Jack McCaffrey, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle

Midfield: Tom Parsons, James McCarthy

Half Forwards: Ciaran Kilkenny, Con O Callaghan, Aidan O Shea

Full Forwards: Paul Mannion, Paul Geaney, Andy Moran

Total:
    7 Dublin
    7 Mayo
    1 Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Same As wrote: »
    Goalkeeper: Stephen Cluxton

Full Backs: Keith Higgins, Cian O Sullivan, Michael Fitzsimons

Half Backs: Jack McCaffrey, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle

Midfield: Tom Parsons, James McCarthy

Half Forwards: Ciaran Kilkenny, Con O Callaghan, Aidan O Shea

Full Forwards: Paul Mannion, Paul Geaney, Andy Moran

Total:
    7 Dublin
    7 Mayo
    1 Kerry

You wont be far away there. Although McLoughlin and Doherty had a year as good as most of the selected forwards they will probably lose out to the old all star quotas rule. Could see them putting McCarthy to half back in place of o'sullivan and giving Cavanagh the nod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

You wont be far away there. Although McLoughlin and Doherty had a year as good as most of the selected forwards they will probably lose out to the old all star quotas rule. Could see them putting McCarthy to half back in place of o'sullivan and giving Cavanagh the nod

Yeah I wasn't sure if that was possible or not given that Cavanagh and McCarthy were nominated for a midfield position, although there's plenty of precedent with players slotted in to the team out of position. If anything, Cavanagh would be moved to the backs in place of COS given he didn't really play midfield as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Same As wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn't sure if that was possible or not given that Cavanagh and McCarthy were nominated for a midfield position, although there's plenty of precedent with players slotted in to the team out of position. If anything, Cavanagh would be moved to the backs in place of COS given he didn't really play midfield as such.

I know what you are saying. But then they have selected Cian O'S at CHB in the past when he spent his season doubling up on the FF. Im not a fan of full time sweepers getting into the team myself, be it Cavanagh or whoever. It is easier to look the part when you aren't being kept honest by a direct opponent. Personally, Id like to see the gaa make a statement on this front by picking players who played the orthodox position they are being selected for and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Stoner wrote: »
    It was interesting to see how the Carlow manager was just looking for a nomination, not necessarily an award.

Made me realize that the awards are very important not just the winners but to a lesser extent the nomination is an award itself.

I was thinking that per position they could consider a mandatory nomination for this type of position, I don't know the parameters of it , but players are overlooked continuously and it would be good to force one nomination per position that required the organisers to review and recognise the contribution of players during the earlier stages of the competition.

That S Murphy lad had a great season

Of course - everyone is overlooked except the players that are selected -

For example - why are two kildare players picked when they didnt win a provincial championship or even get to the QFs.

Anyone can score a brilliant goal on a given day against weak opposition.

At an individual level - the one guy I would point to is Conor McManus - I watched Monaghan a few times this year; on every occasion he was double marked including by Dublin but he still came out of it third top scorer in the championship. Plus, Monaghan reached the quarterfinal and in reality ran Dublin closer than any team other than Mayo this year; albeit still not particularly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Murphy of Carlow put in two of the outstanding individual displays this year. He was main factor in Carlow putting it up to two of the big guns. At least deserved a nomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Left out Jason Doherty . I think Kilkenny was found out in the final when Keenan did a number on him .

Advertisement