Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA Can I stay longterm for Spingboard?

• 20-09-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

So I finished college in May for my Level 8 but wanted to do a springboard HDIP but because you need to be on the dole for at least 1 year after finishing college I was refused the BTEA for the course. The course I think will be very helpful in getting me long term sustainable employment but the catch is i need to stay on JSA until next September, even if i get a job for a week and break the cycle I will not get BTEA next year.

Anyone any advice on how to stay on it for so long? I am with Job Path now too which is a nuisance, it makes no sense, it makes better sense to sit out the year and get a HDIP and get a job that pays far more, but the rules are terrible making someone wait a whole year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

i am not having a pop at you.

Unemployment assistance is paid with the understanding you are genuinely seeking employment. But you are basically saying, you are not trying to find a job. Im happy the 'nuisance' rules don't allow you to cost along the path you have chosen.

My suggestion is find a job, do your course in the evening and pay for it. Don't look for a hand out, look for a hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

It makes no sense though, when i could better myself buy getting a HDIP in a sector that has jobs but all they want for me is to take any sort of grovel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

liam650 wrote: »
    So I finished college in May for my Level 8 but wanted to do a springboard HDIP but because you need to be on the dole for at least 1 year after finishing college I was refused the BTEA for the course. The course I think will be very helpful in getting me long term sustainable employment but the catch is i need to stay on JSA until next September, even if i get a job for a week and break the cycle I will not get BTEA next year.

Anyone any advice on how to stay on it for so long? I am with Job Path now too which is a nuisance, it makes no sense, it makes better sense to sit out the year and get a HDIP and get a job that pays far more, but the rules are terrible making someone wait a whole year
    Are you sure the springboard course is only open to people in unemployment?
    Some courses allow employed people to take them for free

You might be able to get a full time job now, work till september and save, and then do the course while working part time without having to pay fees

(Definitely would beat a year losing your mind on the dole)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

Akrasia wrote: »
    Are you sure the springboard course is only open to people in unemployment?
    Some courses allow employed people to take them for free

You might be able to get a full time job now, work till september and save, and then do the course while working part time without having to pay fees

(Definitely would beat a year losing your mind on the dole)

yeah as far as i know can do some courses part time over 2 years while continuing to work, its just hard to know which option is best, sitting on dole for year is something id rather not do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Noa Red Servant

Springboard won't effect your jsa. You will just need to tell SW that your on the course. You'll need a letter from the college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement