Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

• 15-09-2017 2:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the All Ireland final is Sunday but the club championships in various counties are well underway. May as well set up the thread for everyone to discuss the various county/provincial/All-Ireland club championships underway around the country.

The Meath SFC has reached the knockout stages. Last year's first-time winners Simonstown won all their group games. But Donaghmore/Ashbourne, last year's runners-up, didn't make it out of their group.
    My own club, Ratoath, made the knockout stages for the first time ever with a 100% record in the group (it's only our second year in senior). We're playing Wolfe Tones in the quarter finals.

Quarter finals are:
    1. Summerhill v Na Fianna/Navan O'Mahony's
    2. Simonstown v St. Peter's Dunboyne
    3. Ratoath v Wolfe Tones
    4. Moynalvey v Gaeil Colmcille

1 v 4 and 2 v 3 in the semi finals.

In the SHC, the semi finals take place at the weekend. Kiltale play Kilmessan and Dunboyne play Kildalkey. Kiltale are odds on to win their 4th title in a row and I can't see any of the remaining teams beating them. Kiltale have their eye on Leinster (and All-Ireland) honours I feel. They've narrowly fallen to the Kilkenny champions in each of the last 3 years so I'd assume that they're building for that competition. If I'm not mistaken, if a Meath club were to win the All Ireland intermediate championship, the champions would compete in the senior championship the following year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Championship fixtures down here

SFC Qtr Finals – Extra Time

Sat 23 Sept @ 4pm

Kerins O Rahillys v East Kerry Austin Stack Park

Sat Sept 23 @ 5.45pm

Austin Stacks v West Kerry Austin Stack Park

Sun Sept 24 @ 1.30pm

Dr Crokes v Kenmare Shamrocks Fitzgerald Stadium

Sun Sept 24 @ 3.15pm

Rathmore v South Kerry Fitzgerald Stadium

Intermediate Championship S/Final

Sat Sept 23 @ 5pm – Extra Time

Templenoe v Laune Rgs Fitzgerald Stadium

Junior Premier Championship S/Final

Sat 30 Sept @ 5pm – Extra Time

Firies v Na Gaeil Castleisland

Junior Championship S/Final

Sat Sept 16 @ 5pm – Extra Time

Listry v Lispole Strand Rd

Novice Championship - S/Final

Sat 16 Sept @ 5pm – Extra Time

Moyvane v Sneem/D’nane Na Gaeil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Senior and intermediate football quarter final weekend in Wexford.

Senior double header in Innovate Wexford Park tomorrow afternoon sees St.James take on Starlights and Gusserane v Shelmaliers.

St.James won the title for the first time in their history in 2015 when they squeaked through the group stages only to down favourites St.Martin's in the replayed final. Their form this year mirrors 2015, and it wouldn't be surprising if they went far again. Starlights were champions in 2002 and 2004 but have always had to balance their football aspirations with having a senior hurling team that appears to be favoured in the club. But they seem to be realising their potential this year, have a relatively young age profile, and have bought into their manager's ideas. I actually think they might shade this one. The midfield battle of county hurling colleagues Matthew O'Hanlon and Liam Ryan would be worth the admission fee alone.

Gusserane are the defending champions having won the title last year for the first time since 1975, but have endured a rather difficult defence of their crown so far. Got hammered by St.Martin's in the final group game, but still qualified for the knock-outs on the head-to-head ruling*. Shelmaliers in contrast topped their group and seemed to be clued in this year. They have generally always qualified for the QF's since gaining promotion, but have flattered to deceive thereafter and are the great unfulfilled potential of the local scene. Gusserane won't go down without a fight, and this game will be close as a result, but I just think Shelmaliers will advance.

Tomorrow evening then sees the other two quarter-finals taking place in Bellefield, with Castletown taking on Taghmon-Camross and St.Martin's v Glynn Barntown

Battle of the former Wexford managers here as Jason Ryan's improving Taghmon take on Pat Roe's pre-championship favourites Castletown. The last two Intermediate champions have got to the senior final the following year, and Taghmon are looking to make it a hat-trick. They punched well above their weight in a difficult group and are well organised. Castletown started the season on fire, but have stuttered ever since, particularly up front despite the much-debated acquisition of Ben Brosnan in the winter. Amazingly, Castletown are priced at 1/10 to win, with only Crossmaglen, Kilcoo, Portlaoise and Errigal Chiarann shorter odds this weekend. Will be a lot closer than that though, and while Taghmon go in with zero pressure, and will relish the chance of a giant-killing act, I think Castletown's know-how will serve them in good stead.

Finally, Martin's and Glynn has the potential of a humdinger. Glynn came in under the radar last year to stun Martin's in the semi-final, and probably should have subsequently went on to win the title for the first time since 1996. Won their last two group games to take the final quarter-final berth in their group. Martin's generally cut a swathe through the group stages, and look impressive on paper, but their return of one county title (2013) despite huge underage success points to a lack of....something when the going gets tough. They have won back-to-back premier championship doubles, and three of the last four under-21 premier hurling titles, and have more top-grade talent coming through than anyone else in the county. Understandably Daithi Waters and Ciaran Lyng are still their go-to guys, and I expect them two to be key factors as Martin's exact revenge for last year's semi.

*Wexford's championship system consists of two groups of six teams, with the top four from each group advancing to the quarter-finals and the bottom team in each group contesting the relegation final. Quarter finals are seeded were top team in Group A plays fourth-placed team in Group B, second in A v third in B and so on....(if two teams finish level on points, head-to-head record is taken into account. Three or more teams finish level, score difference is considered). Best innovation they ever devised as it guarantees each club in every grade at least five championship games, and each championship is more competitive as a result (certainly in football anyway, where there hasn't been a back-to-back winner since Horeswood in '05-'06).

I see a tweet from Patrick Horgan saying that divisional sides and colleges should not be allowed in the Cork Championship,well we have divisional sides here in Kerry as well and while Im not a huge fan of them they do give players a chance to play at a higher level then they would normally play be it Junior or Intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Mulbert

Battle of the former Wexford managers here as Jason Ryan's improving Taghmon take on Pat Roe's pre-championship favourites Castletown./quote]

Is Pat Roe involved with Castletown? I thought Colm Morris is managing as well as playing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

8 to the quarter finals out of 12 teams in Wexford seems like a lot. Has there been any calls to change this format at all?

Though it's nothing compared to Meath's format :rolleyes: We have 18 senior teams at the moment split into groups of 6. The top 3 go through to the knockout stages (with one preliminary quarter final). The 3 bottom sides go through a relegation playoff.
    Realistically, there are probably 4 or 5 "senior" sides that would struggle in intermediate. Teams can win one group game and be guaranteed safety. Or they can lose all their games, win one in the relegation playoff and stay up. Indeed, Duleek/Bellewstown have won one group game in three years and could still stay up (though it's looking very unlikely this year).

At the other end, it's argued that teams don't really need to perform to make the knockout stages. This season, Na Fianna won their last game against St. Pat's (their only win) and got through thanks to the head to head rule. Simonstown won none of their first 3 games last year and ended up champions.

There's a feeling that the format is a factor in the Meath footballers struggles. There's no real cut throat senior games until the knockout stages. It was attempted to be rectified last year when it was voted to reduce the number of teams in each grade to 16 (from Senior to Junior E). But a couple of months later, the same clubs that voted for the change, shat themselves and did a U-turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Kilkenny SHC quarter final draw

Carrickshock v James Stephens
    O Loughlins Gaels v Erin's Own
    Clara v Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Dicksboro v Mullinavat

IHC quarter finals

Thomastown v Graigue Ballycallan
    St Patrick's v Lisdowney or Tullogher Rosbercon
    Tullaroan v Young Irelands
    Glenmore v Mooncoin

Senior games are the weekend of the 30th September.
    Dicksboro won the league and are unbeaten so far.

Thomastown are intermediate league champions after defeating Tullaroan AET last Saturday

Relegation finals
    Senior
    Bennettsbridge v St Martins

Intermediate
    Dunnamaggin v St Lachtains

Mulbert wrote: »
    Battle of the former Wexford managers here as Jason Ryan's improving Taghmon take on Pat Roe's pre-championship favourites Castletown./quote]

Is Pat Roe involved with Castletown? I thought Colm Morris is managing as well as playing?

Colm Morris is indeed player-manager. Roe has been drafted in in the last few weeks as trainer/advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

I see a tweet from Patrick Horgan saying that divisional sides and colleges should not be allowed in the Cork Championship,well we have divisional sides here in Kerry as well and while Im not a huge fan of them they do give players a chance to play at a higher level then they would normally play be it Junior or Intermediate

I would agree that the divisional is a good idea as it gives players from smaller clubs the chance to play at the highest level but the colleges seems ridiculous to me.The ucc team that bet Middleton Sunday evening was littered with county players from all the top counties. So now conor lehane has been knocked out of his county championship by being bet by the likes of Jamie Barron,Mikey Breen ,Tom Devine etc who at the end of their careers I don't think will value a cork club championship one bit compared to what it would mean to cork club hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I would agree that the divisional is a good idea as it gives players from smaller clubs the chance to play at the highest level but the colleges seems ridiculous to me.The ucc team that bet Middleton Sunday evening was littered with county players from all the top counties. So now conor lehane has been knocked out of his county championship by being bet by the likes of Jamie Barron,Mikey Breen ,Tom Devine etc who at the end of their careers I don't think will value a cork club championship one bit compared to what it would mean to cork club hurlers.

Agree it's a joke. Strangest rule ever that you can play two Championships in the one year. Simple rule would be to ask players to play for one club or the other like everyone else in the country. That would quickly put an end to these meaningless sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Carlow SFC this weekend is at sf stage:
    Palatine v Eire Og. Rathvilly v Old Leighlin.

Palatine are on for their own 3 in a row this year and are strong favourites to do so. Gave St Vincents a very good game in Leinster last November. After many years of players from Palatine shying away from playing for Carlow, this year we had a massive amount of Palatine players joining up with the co team. No coincidence it was the best year Carlow had in forever.
    Eire Og have a good young team, but will never live up to the 90's side that dominated Carlow & Leinster club football. There are now sons of that team playing, which makes me feel very old indeed!
    Pal by 4

Rathvilly have Brendan Murphy who everyone knows, his brother is a good free taker and they are solid in defence. Old Leighlin are now ironically an Old side. Most if their best players are well on the wrong side of 30 and can't see them lasting the full 60.
    Rathvilly by 2 in a low scoring game.
    Pal to win the final and do their own 3 in a row.

• Advertisement

Eir Sport showing three live games on Saturday

23_09_gaa_cc_1200x400%20(1).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Our SHC championship gets run off with the same format as the Christy Ring Cup

Semi Finals on this weekend

St Brendans V Lixnaw

Kilmoyley V Ballyduff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Armagh semi finals

Cross v Maghery
    Ballymacnab v Cullyhanna/Harps

Any one of the teams could win it, bar maybe Ballymacnab. Cross probably slight favourites, but have reigning champions Maghery to contend with who have already beaten them in an earlier round.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Clare senior hurling semi finals on this weekend.

Clonlara v Clooney on Saturday and Sixmilebridge v Newmarket-on-Fergus on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Galway football semis this weekend

Corofin v annaghdown
    Mountbellew v monivea

Straightforward corofin mbellew final you'd imagine

Groups just finished in hurling but another potential lengthy appeal could hold it all up like two years ago

Wexford senior football semi-finals brought up Castletown v Starlights and Shelmaliers v St.Martin's. Defending champions Gusserane being dethroned by Shelmaliers, and Starlights defeating 2015 champions St.James, were the pick of the results. In terms of recent history, Martin's last won the title in 2013, Castletown in 2010, Starlights in 2002 and 2004, while Shelmaliers have never won it. Those semis are fixed for Sunday week, with the senior hurling quarter-finals down for decision this weekend.

St.Martin's v Buffers Alley: a sort of the changing of the guard feel to this one. Buffers Alley are one of the unquestionable king-pins of the county, and remain the only Wexford club to win the All Ireland title, back in 1989. But it's 25 years since they last brought home the title, and they even suffered the indignity of relegation to Intermediate as recently as 2012. The heady days of Tony Doran et al seem a long time ago. In contrast, St.Martin's have a production line that is the envy of the county, having secured three of the last four premier under-21 hurling titles, and achieved the "double-double" in the premier minor the last two seasons. They also produced possibly the performance of the championship to date when they impressively defeated defending champions Oulart in April. Rory O'Connor went viral the other week after his display in the under-21 final, and he has all the tools to be a future Wexford superstar. Buffers Alley will hope to make their presence felt and bully the youngsters, but I can see nothing only a St.Martin's win here.

Oylegate v Naomh Eanna: potentially the tie of the weekend. Two teams with the right age profile and boasting top talent locking horns. Last two intermediate champions to boot. Oylegate have been very impressive on occasion as they have made a seamless transition back to the top table, and have won lost to their name, which was essentially a "dead-rubber" against Rathnure in the final group game. Gorey were unlucky to be drawn against both Oulart and Martin's in the group stages, but acquitted themselves well. Naomh Eanna are essentially "St.Martin's-lite" in that they contend at premier level in all under-age groups, and a have huge pool to chose from being the only senior hurling team in Gorey. Oylegate are a coming team too though. Toss of the coin stuff. Damien Reck for Oylegate and Conor McDonald will be the big names on show, but it may come down to who has the better accuracy from placed-balls between Jamie Reck/Seamus Casey for Oylegate and Padraig Doyle for Naomh Eanna. I tip Naomh Eanna to shade it by a couple of points.

Oulart the Ballagh v Shelmaliers: Interesting pairing. Shelmaliers are the only side to have won the title apart from Oulart in seven of the last eight versions of the championship. But they have never really pushed on from that historic maiden success in 2014. Have always had to juggle being contenders in both codes, although with Tom Mullally on board this year, they may well be rediscovering some sort of form that makes them capable of going all the way. Former county hurler Stephen Banville has proved a useful foil at full-forward in tandem with recent minor dual player Conor Hearne, while the likes of Brian Malone and Simon Donohoe provide the athleticism out the field. Oulart have responded from that opening round humbling to Martin's by winning four on the bounce, and they are still a vertible who's who of stellar names across the lines. With Keith Rossiter playing as well as always at full-back, "sweeper" Shaun Murphy orchestrating things ahead of him, Rory Jacob revitalised around the middle, and Garret Sinnott continuing to be a scoring threat up front, coupled with their vast experience of winning, they are still the team to beat in my opinion. Oulart by 3-4.

Rathnure v Rapparees:
    Surprisingly, Rathnure are the only unbeaten team left in contention, and seem to be back among the big-boys after a few fallow years by their standards. Kevin Ryan has distilled the renowned fighting spirit to the most successful club in Wexford senior hurling history, and they certainly shouldn't be discounted as they aim to bring back their first title since 2008. Rapparees won three premier minor titles in a row after the turn of the decade, and players from that group are starting to finally grow in stature at senior level. County defender Liam Ryan is their most well-known player, while his county colleague Kevin Foley has enjoyed a brilliant year in both codes, but they also still rely on 2004 Leinster medallist Mossy Mahon for the bulk of their scores. Their form in the football championship seems to be feeding into the small ball, making them a dangerous proposition. Rapparees last won the title back in 1978, and I wouldn't rule them out here. But I think Rathnure's doggedness will see them through by a couple of points.

Finally, the senior hurling relegation final takes play on Saturday, with last year's runners-up Cloughbawn taking on 2013 finalists Ferns. It's fair to say that both have been the biggest disappointments of the campaign, and such is the form-lines it is hard to chose a favourite. But Paul Morris limped off for Ferns in their football QF last week, and his participation or absence could be the deciding factor. Nonetheless, I think Ferns will eke out the biggest win in their recent history.

Incidentally, the senior football relegation final last week saw real Roy of the Rovers stuff. Winless Sarsfields were 1-8 to 0-5 down to Horeswood with ten minutes to play. Somehow, they scored 2-4 without reply to secure their status for the second year running. Horeswood return to the intermediate ranks for the first time since winning it outright in 1998, and while they have been a huge personal rival of my own club over the last decade, it's sad to see them go all the same, as they won four titles 2005-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here in Waterford were only on the 2nd last round of our round robin series for the Senior Hurling championship

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Senior Hurling Championship- Round 4 Fixtures

Friday 22nd September
    Roanmore v Lismore

Saturday 23rd September
    Fourmilewater v Passage

Sunday 24th September
    Portlaw v Mt.Sion
    Abbeyside v Ballygunner
    De la Salle v Tallow
    Dungarvan vs Ballyduff

Round 5 -29/30/1 Oct
    QFs-7/8 Oct
    Semis- 14/15 Oct
    Final- Sunday 22nd Oct

The Waterford champions play the Tipp champs in Walsh Park on Sunday 29th Oct in the Munster QF and the semi final vs Clare champs is the 5th Nov. The Waterford champions may have to play 8 weeks in a row to get a Munster Final

Eir Sport showing three live games on Saturday
    Have to say, eir Sport are fantastic for broadcasting Irish sport be it local GAA or League of Ireland or NFL/NHL games.

In the Meath SHC, Kiltale unsurprisingly coasted through their semi final beating Kilmessan 2-17 to 0-15. In the other semi final, Dunboyne somehow contrived to lose to Kildalkey 1-12 to 0-14 in what was an atrocious match. Despite being a senior team pretty consistently over the years, Dunboyne have not won the SHC since winning their 4th title in a row back in 1914.
    Kiltale should walk the final.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Here in Waterford were only on the 2nd last round of our round robin series for the Senior Hurling championship

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Senior Hurling Championship- Round 4 Fixtures

Friday 22nd September
    Roanmore v Lismore

Saturday 23rd September
    Fourmilewater v Passage

Sunday 24th September
    Portlaw v Mt.Sion
    Abbeyside v Ballygunner
    De la Salle v Tallow
    Dungarvan vs Ballyduff

Round 5 -29/30/1 Oct
    QFs-7/8 Oct
    Semis- 14/15 Oct
    Final- Sunday 22nd Oct

The Waterford champions play the Tipp champs in Walsh Park on Sunday 29th Oct in the Munster QF and the semi final vs Clare champs is the 5th Nov. The Waterford champions may have to play 8 weeks in a row to get a Munster Final
    Feck, that's fair tight. How are they playing the football championship based on those dates? Isn't there a good few dual clubs?

jr86 wrote: »
    Galway football semis this weekend

Corofin v annaghdown
    Mountbellew v monivea

Straightforward corofin mbellew final you'd imagine

Groups just finished in hurling but another potential lengthy appeal could hold it all up like two years ago

What's the basis of the appeal this time or who is it against?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Cavan Semi Finals this weekend:

Ramor Utd v Castlerahan: Last years winners v their opponents in the Final last year. Ramor not moving as well as last year, and Castlerahan not at their best either. Will be very close

Kingscourt v Cavan Gaels: Winners 2 years ago versus many peoples favourites. Kingscourt not very convincing so far, but still getting the wins. The Gaels on the other hand are flying but struggled against Crosserlough before emerging victorious in the Quarter Final last week.

2 close games in store I would suspect, with Ramor and the Gaels probably expected to make the Final

Meath SFC knockout stages this weekend:

Navan O'Mahony's v Na Fianna (Preliminary Quarter Final):
    NOM had a disastrous 2016 after winning their second title in a row in 2015. They failed to get out of the group last year and were in danger of repeating the feat until they easily beat Seneschalstown in their last group game. They were missing both Brays for good portions of the group stages but Stephen Bray at least looks to be back for them which means they are still very dangerous. Na Fianna lost the final to NOM two years ago but they stuttered through the group winning their first game in their final game. Without Jamie Queeney who suffered the dreaded cruciate, can't see anything other than a NOM win. Winners will play Summerhill in the quarters.

Ratoath v Wolfe Tones:
    Repeat of the 2004 Meath Junior final where a 17 year old Cian Ward tore Ratoath to shreds and went on to add Leinster and All Ireland titles to their Meath title. But Ratoath's underage success is beginning to come to fruition now having 6 players on the Meath squad at times and go into this with a 100% record. But Tones still have quality, experience and youth in their ranks. Cian Ward still racks up big scores in the Meath and they have current Meath panelist Thomas O'Reilly and ex Meath players Eoghan Harrington and Niall McLoughlin are . Wolfe Tones are 5/2 to cause an upset which is a huge price.

Simonstown Gaels v St. Peter's Dunboyne:
    Game of the weekend. Repeat of last year's quarter final. In 2016, Dunboyne went into the game with a 100% record while Simonstown won only 2 group games. Simonstown won that AET and went on to win their first Keegan Cup. This year, Simonstown have the 100% record but supposedly Donal Lenehan and Ronan Jones (both Meath starters) will return for Dunboyne. There are rumours that Conor Nash will make an appearance for Simonstown. This quarter final is too close to call and could be a cracker.

Moynalvey v Gaeil Colmcille:
    Intriguing game this. On paper, Moynalvey should win. They have the likes of Cillian O'Sullivan, Padraic Harnan and Mark O'Sullivan in their ranks. But the Kells side, while not possessing the same individual talent, are one of the toughest teams to beat in the SFC and have made the semi finals for the past two years. You'd expect Moynalvey to have enough to get past them but I would have said the same about Gaeil Colmcilles' last two quarter final opponents.

As an aside, Skryne (who boast ex players such as Trevor Giles, John McDermott, Colm O'Rourke and Liam Hayes) are aiming to keep their 80 year run in the senior ranks going as they play Duleek/Bellewstown in a relegation playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feck, that's fair tight. How are they playing the football championship based on those dates? Isn't there a good few dual clubs?

We dropped out of the Munster Senior football championship so there going to play the rest of the football championships when the Hurling is finished or possibly when the dual clubs are out of the Hurling. Really disrespectful to the football players in Waterford by the CB

Waterford fans: How's Jack Fagan doing with De La Salle so far? Is he making any impression?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Quick question that may lead to another, have TG4 lost all the club games to Eir? If they have where's they outrage that comes every summer over games only being available on Sky, or does it only count for senior intercounty?? I personally think it's great to see so many club games on

rpurfield wrote: »
    Quick question that may lead to another, have TG4 lost all the club games to Eir? If they have where's they outrage that comes every summer over games only being available on Sky, or does it only count for senior intercounty?? I personally think it's great to see so many club games on

Both channels will be showing the club games,

http://www.the42.ie/gaa-club-eir-sport-3302536-Mar2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Meath SFC knockout stages this weekend:
    Wolfe Tones are 5/2 to cause an upset which is a huge price.

great call

• Advertisement

Advertisement