Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1st ever rugby training session. what to expect?

Options
  • 17-09-2017 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So I decided to start playing rugby. I've moved town recently and decided to join the local rugby team to try and make friends and because I've wanted to play rugby for ages. I am sporty-camogie and I know most of basic rules in rugby from going to games and watching on TV. Team have been in preseason for about 6weeks but Tues will be my first training EVER. What can I expect? Any tips / words of wisdom ? As far as I know it's a development team not 1st team but maybe they training together?? Ladies team btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So I decided to start playing rugby. I've moved town recently and decided to join the local rugby team to try and make friends and because I've wanted to play rugby for ages. I am sporty-camogie and I know most of basic rules in rugby from going to games and watching on TV. Team have been in preseason for about 6weeks but Tues will be my first training EVER. What can I expect? Any tips / words of wisdom ? As far as I know it's a development team not 1st team but maybe they training together?? Ladies team btw

Good stuff, you'll thoroughly enjoy it I have no doubt.

Biggest tip from me is don't be afraid to ask your teammates questions. Depending on the size of the squad it can be difficult for a coach to explain the rules and nuances of the game and they may only have a limited time to coach a specific drill etc, so really the squad should be picking up the pieces to help the new people out. Don't understand something? Just ask someone. No one will think less of you for not understanding something, quite the opposite really!

Don't be afraid of contact; sounds easy, but running into people isn't natural and it takes time to build up that confidence, but usually that's the missing ingredient (confidence). Back yourself and the rest will fall into place... Also it'll hurt less when you do contact work with commitment, it's always the half-hearted attempt of a tackle that ends up an injury.

Don't be put off if you do get hurt. It's rugby, you're supposed to be sore after training/playing. Expect to be sore. Just know the difference between being sore and being injured... The rewards of playing far outweigh the pains.

Biggest thing really though is to have fun. It's a game at the end of the day, and for all the bravado and whatnot it's still just a game... Go out there and enjoy it, that's what its all about. If you take it too seriously you'll lose interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

.ak wrote: »
    it can be difficult for a coach to explain the rules .
    c0b82d91ed323147e3f42623f20a9424.jpg
    Some rugby mod you are ;):pac::D

Any tips? As a girl you'll need a serious sports bra; a high impact one is the only show in town. Many girls and some guys find compression shirts help as well. Get a pair of rugby shorts fairly soon as well as soccer/GAA shorts will last you seconds. A pair decent soccer boots will do for now; no need for anything special unless you are playing in the forwards

The first sessions will be very sore but for many players the sore is the best bit and almost comforting. It may kill you tomorrow but it goes within a few weeks as you get used to tackles and bumps and finding bruises in places you never thought you had. By that time you'll have the best bunch of friends ever in your teammates. The sport breeds character, it breeds respect, it breeds humility and most of all, it breeds friendship. You will love it, just give yourself a few weeks to see that we are right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

need a serious sports bra... Many girls and some guys find compression shirts help as well. Get a pair of rugby shorts fairly soon. A pair decent soccer boots will do for now

Bra I have from camogie and I will take compression shirts suggestion on board.
    Also got myself a pair of rugby shorts already.
    Just using my camogie boots atm , coach suggested last night I might make a good out half 😂
    The first sessions will be very sore but for many players the sore is the best bit and almost comforting. You will love it, just give yourself a few weeks to see that we are right

So we are a division 4 team and last night at training there were only 10 players, 2 newbies and a few carrying injuries so we didn't do any contact which I was very happy with cause I was able to get used to lingo, drills and passing the ball without being worried about getting flattened!

.ak wrote:
    Biggest thing really though is to have fun. It's a game at the end of the day, and for all the bravado and whatnot it's still just a game... Go out there and enjoy it, that's what its all about. If you take it too seriously you'll lose interest...

I loved it last night can't wait for next training all ready

Thanks for all your tips

Advertisement