Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT inspection on a classic, any tips?

• 17-09-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I booked a vrt inspection on a 1983 classic I've bought, I've decided on a ZV reg and the inspection is at Northpoint.

Is there anything I should be aware of outside of the normal paperwork they require?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Just ensure that all your paper work actually ticks the boxes they want it to.

And be able to locate the chassis number / VIN on your car in case they can't.

Check in advance to make sure the VIN matches your paperwork

Also, what type of registration is on it now? Northern Irish, English etc....

Not sure if it applies in your case, but they are more sticky now on proof of when the vehicle was brought in to the country.

You can be liable for a fine if its here over the allowable time period (is it 30 days or something like that?). Who owned it when it came in makes no odds. However the fine is actually minimal enough on a car like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Testacalda wrote: »
    Just ensure that all your paper work actually ticks the boxes they want it to.

And be able to locate the chassis number / VIN on your car in case they can't.

Check in advance to make sure the VIN matches your paperwork

Also, what type of registration is on it now? Northern Irish, English etc....

Not sure if it applies in your case, but they are more sticky now on proof of when the vehicle was brought in to the country.

You can be liable for a fine if its here over the allowable time period (is it 30 days or something like that?). Who owned it when it came in makes no odds. However the fine is actually minimal enough on a car like yours.

I'll have all the correct paperwork inc full V5 document.
    Vin matches and is visible on both under bonnet plate and stamped onto the chassis. I've verified they all match.
    It's an English registered car and I'll be bringing it here by ferry on the 21st, I already have the VRT inspection booked for October the 1st.

:) Be grand so

You're a lot more organised than most people going for VRT :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you been given a quote from them in advance?

Not sure if the process is still the same same but last time I was there I had the car looking grubby and unloved inside to try and swing a lower valuation (it worked!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Dades wrote: »
    Have you been given a quote from them in advance?

Not sure if the process is still the same same but last time I was there I had the car looking grubby and unloved inside to try and swing a lower valuation (it worked!)

Flat rate, no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Flat rate, no?
    Ah, that'd be Monday morning brain. :o

As you were!

Yes it's a flat rate of €200, I still think they have to contact the revenue for the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

Flat rate, no?

Yeah it's over 30 so they won't be getting the vaseline out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Neilw wrote: »
    Yes it's a flat rate of €200, I still think they have to contact the revenue for the price though.

ya i had to wait a few days then back to the nct centre again for paying the 200 (didnt have to bring the classic that time)
    this happens if they dont have a car like it on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

and now more importantly where are the pics :D

• Advertisement

and now more importantly where are the pics :D

A quick one before I left Holyhead today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

:D hi

Holyhead - city of dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Nice motor , it took a bit of looking to get a nicely sorted G wages like that one.

but more importantly, how the f did you get hoiyhead to look pretty , you should take up photography.

elperello wrote: »
    :D hi

Holyhead - city of dreams!

It truly is! To those that have braved a flight into some random place in UK with fingers crossed their purchase can make Holyhead!

I flew in last year to pick up a Kei Class for the wife, the whole journey was me praying I could actually fit in it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It truly is! To those that have braved a flight into some random place in UK with fingers crossed their purchase can make Holyhead!

I flew in last year to pick up a Kei Class for the wife, the whole journey was me praying I could actually fit in it!

Yep. Stuck in traffic on the M6 in the pissing rain just praying that you'll make it to the ferry and watching the temp gauge like a hawk all the way, listening for every little noise. Just did it recently, all part of the fun! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That'll be me tomorrow lads. Wish me luck :p

You get an E28, PauloMN? If I remember right you were looking for one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

unkel wrote: »
    That'll be me tomorrow lads. Wish me luck :p

You get an E28, PauloMN? If I remember right you were looking for one?

Yup got one a few months ago. Registered/VRT'd, taxed and NCT'd on its new plates etc.. Couple of minor fixes were required for NCT but got sorted.

Good luck tomorrow, whatcha getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Unkel I'm guessing you got a W123!

W201 190E 2.6. waiting to be let onto the ferry now :)

• Advertisement

Holyhead in the early hours.... at least you saw it at its best.... in the dark! :pac:

Best of luck with it unkel! And apologies to the OP for dragging the thread off on a tangent.

W201 190E 2.6. waiting to be let onto the ferry now :)

Cosworths finest? Fantastic! Throw some pics up:cool:

PauloMN wrote:
    Holyhead in the early hours....

Nah, I did it in style. Liverpool FTW :p

Free upgrade to a cabin. Two free hot meals included in my EUR68 fare. I actually had a half decent sleep. Just had shower and fry up, now ready to disembark...

Cosworths finest? Fantastic!

Afraid not! Just the gentle straight six. In lovely condition though, nobody makes cars like Mercedes-Benz did in the 80s...

VRT appointment booked for 09/10/2017. Have full V5C document and the VIN on the document matches the vin on the car. Also have ferry ticket with the car reg on it. I have a recent utility bill in my name with my address on it and I'll bring €200 to VRT it and I'll bring my driving license with my name and address on it. Do I need to bring anything else?

428948.jpg

Do I need to bring anything else?

Do you still need proof of PPSN? I think I did, but that was a few years ago now since I last VRT'd something

Edit:

No. 6 under 'What documents' https://www.ncts.ie/1155

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes, proof of pps number is still required (I imported a classic a few weeks ago). You also need to be able to locate the chassis number on the vin plate AND stamped on the bodywork for the person inspecting the car.

The mileage of the car is also noted during the inspection (I presume this is standard practice for all inspections - but not really relevant in the case of classics as they attract a flat rate of VRT).

Nice 190E unkel.

Silvera wrote: »
    Yes, proof of pps number is still required (I imported a classic a few weeks ago). You also need to be able to locate the chassis number on the vin plate AND stamped on the bodywork for the person inspecting the car.

The mileage of the car is also noted during the inspection (I presume this is standard practice for all inspections - but not really relevant in the case of classics as they attract a flat rate of VRT).

Nice 190E unkel.

Is a payslip with your pps number on it accepted?
    I can't find anything else.

Not sure about that, I used an old PPS card. Did somebody post a link to 'acceptable documents' above (from NCTS website)? If not, a quick phone call to their helpline will answer your question.

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    Not sure about that, I used an old PPS card. Did somebody post a link to 'acceptable documents' above (from NCTS website)? If not, a quick phone call to their helpline will answer your question.

...I just had a look at that link (above), they will only accept 'official documentation' for proof of PPS, e.g. social services card, P60, etc

Advertisement