Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JCX BXC wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ryanair-to-cancel-up-to-50-flights-a-day-for-six-weeks-1.3222671?mode=amp

Really concerning for Ryanair, are they losing crew or just not having the capacity to hire them quickly enough?

Perhaps Ryanair should better their working conditions and salaries?

Does it have anything to do with the latest where they believed everyone even out of state workers would fall under Irish jurisdiction?

I would also guess they didn't give much holidays during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it not cost them a fortune with flight compensation for the passengers booked on those flights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

40-50 flights a day is what percentage systemwide? I'm presuming its got a 0. in front of the %?

I suspect hiring and retaining crew with their known conditions is becoming more difficult with major growth across the entire industry worldwide, so that could be a factor.

Punctuality is being mentioned as an issue also - that will consume crew hours. Blame can be placed at both the seating rules delaying pushback but also at dealing with busier hub airports - the delays inherent there were often cited as a reason for not using them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair proclaim they operate 1800 daily flights, cancelling 40 of their flights would represent 2.2% of flights, so the figures seem right, or even a little low (50 flights =2.7%, rounded to 3%) to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ryanair are being liberal with the truth as usual. It's simply a big cock up by management and they are passing the blame to others. They are losing staff left, right and centre to many other airlines. They knew well in advance what the schedule was for September and October and staff leave would have been calculated with this in mind. Yet they leave it until after they are forced to cancel flights to come with this BS? Not good enough and management need to take the blame for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Well it's a lot more than 40 to 50 for a start

FR have no problem recruiting crew , it's a great first step for many , the problem is that these crew leave for better or perceived better jobs and FR
    Doesn't have enough Captains or training Pilots to manage the newbies

The model is under a bit of pressure , peak summer was managed, just, by maxing current crew hours, so now these crew need breaks mandatory breaks and the crew shortage has caught up with the rostering team, painful.

Retaining flight deck crew is the issue, too many perceived greener pastures especially Norwegian and their new Dublin Base , mind you personally FR seems a safer bet at the moment IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Wasn't this why they borrowed eirjet all those years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Finally someone has made a thread about it, I couldn't judge what the reaction would be so hesitated.

I think it's insulting to the intelligence of their customers to be blaming ATC for any of this, the French strike was 2 days ago, and even then it was minimal with most airlines running a full schedule. How exactly does a STN based aircraft flying to GLA, or flights from Ireland to the UK get affected by a minor ATC strike in France? Most passengers haven't a clue for the most part so they're getting away with it.

It's good news for the pilots anyway.

I wonder how those words must taste now :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1123heavy wrote: »
    Finally someone has made a thread about it, I couldn't judge what the reaction would be so hesitated.

I'd prefer if people posted without knowing the reaction - posting to get a specific reaction can be considered like-farming or trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I bet there share price took a nose dive this is a much more serious problem 40-50 flights a day

Do this shower have the decency to inform there CUSTOMERS what flights etc ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Look out for a lot of mechanical failures on Ryanair flights in the near future.

I do hesitate to post re FR
    Hate creating Work fir their "media management night shift spin team "
    I mean they are busy enough doing the roster and fueling the aircraft and filing etc etc xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

It is in their financial interests to make these decisions early rather than later as compensation will be due per passenger and I'm guessing they'll be absolutely horrible to get compensation out of.
    They've got about 7 months to sort this out.
    They sort it out by increasing wages for all pilots and co-pilots and it will be minor blip for them as long as they handle it properly.

I'm flying with them but hoping not to be canceled as it would be difficult for them to offer me an alternate flight.

Well MOL feels one pilot is enough with a FA to handle the right hand seat so maybe he has a master plan ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Do the routes concerned have multiple daily departures so that pax can be accommodated on later flights?

A319er wrote: »
    Well MOL feels one pilot is enough with a FA to handle the right hand seat so maybe he has a master plan ? .

No aviation authority in the world is going to accept that.

Even getting the US to allow the FO to have <1500 hours is unlikely currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Loueln

Am really dissapointed. Flight cancelled with less than 48 hours notice and no explanation. Family upset. Ryanair livechat appear to be arranging alternative flight with one connection, then when asked to complete the deal then offer only flight into same country, hire car and they may no offer re-imbursement. He then transfers to other agent who asked for detailed account of previous chat and then cut us off while typing after less than 30 seconds
    Now hotel are fully paid and too late to cancel, tickets to Museums bought and bus tickets bought. And they knew this was coming :(
    They won't even give a reason for cancellation. Probably claim it was beyond their control

You're entitled to EU261 compensation, minimum of €250 per person.

I hope this compo is milked to be honest, as it's quite disgraceful. They should cancel the flights now for the next 6 weeks, at least give people a bit of notice so they can sort themselves now rather than the day before.

if any Ryanair Customer Support agents were teetering on the edge of handing in their notice this will probably be their tipping point.
    So, So many unhappy customers for the next 6 weeks.

737max wrote: »
    if any Ryanair Customer Support agents were teetering on the edge of handing in their notice this will probably be their tipping point.
    So, So many unhappy customers for the next 6 weeks.

That's a bit....extreme.

TBH it's like saying that if staff wanted to quit in a shop, then Christmas time would be their tipping point and make them quit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

This is going to seriously damage Ryanair results for the year. bookings will fall dramatically I'd imagine, as long as they keep up the pattern of announcing cancellations only a couple of days ahead of time.

For example I don't have to fly again until October. It's a one day thing with 6:30 flight out from Dublin and back from Edinburgh that night. Ryanair flight is much cheaper but I'll pay the extra money for Aer lingus as I have to be there that morning and nothing would be guaranteed (I know a flight is never 100% guaranteed) with Ryanair until the day before.

funny you mention that... ever work on a support line for expensive products that are given as gifts on the week between xmas and new years. Never again!

Am polite concise, no drama on the help line. I would expect the same in return.
    If they had just stated the reason for cancellation(as entitled) I would apply for refund of both flights, and pursue the compenstation online

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

How bad are the working conditions? Particularly from a pilots point of view? 
    Does anyone on here work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

Would it not cost them a fortune with flight compensation for the passengers booked on those flights.

We are in France, (Nantes) due to fly at 7.30 Sunday morning, received a text at 6pm this evening to say flight cancelled. Next flight at 4.25pm Tuesday, two choices offered, reschedule or cancel, have to be in work Monday. Thankfully Aer Lingus organised there staff leave, so booked with them at twice the price. We ( two adults) are fortunate, the credit card is still in the black, what if we had small kids or no credit left.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Really concerning for Ryanair, are they losing crew or just not having the capacity to hire them quickly enough?

Perhaps Ryanair should better their working conditions and salaries?
    The issue is too many flight hours in too short a timeframe.

EASA rules have strict limits on block limits in 365/90/28/7 day periods, i.e. 900 hours in rolling 365 days.
    It's just after peak season, it seems that FR maxed hours over the last 90 days on many crew. So it's not that they are cancelling due to "the need for staff to take holiday time", it's due to those staff being grounded for a week or two until their rolling hours drop below legal limits.
    Enforced time off is not a 'holiday'

900 hours per year is the limit and previously referred to by MoL as "16 hours a week". A sound bite also repeated by Dan White of the Irish Indo, apparently he is their 'aviation expert'!!

decor58 wrote: »
    We are in France, (Nantes) due to fly at 7.30 Sunday morning, received a text at 6pm this evening to say flight cancelled. Next flight at 4.25pm Tuesday, two choices offered, reschedule or cancel, have to be in work Monday. Thankfully Aer Lingus organised there staff leave, so booked with them at twice the price. We ( two adults) are fortunate, the credit card is still in the black, what if we had small kids or no credit left.
    were you offered a hotel room for the two nights?

Finally got a 3rd agent. Opted for full refund. Online form won't let me submit same because system says flight has not been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Their working conditions are shocking especially for pilots. Think it was channel 4 that did a documentary on it a few years ago. Don't know why anyone is surprised. They have always treated their customers with distain. Only ever flown with them once never again.

• Advertisement

They need an internal AGB program.

Advertisement