Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year

• 14-09-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the betting this morning and have seen that Con O Callaghan is well ahead for the YFOTY.

Cluxton & Andy Moran are neck and neck for senior footballer- what do people think on tis.

I said it last year but I cant believe that Cluxton has never won it considering how influential he has (and still is) to Dublin.

Andy Moran has had a good seaon but jeez there'll be a big tip of the hat to Fitzmaurice and Shane Enright's boot providers if he wins it.

I thought Geaney had a superb season but as Kerry didnt make the final then I presume he's out.

Got to be Cluxton for me this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

If Fenton has a good game and Kilkenny they'd be in there aswell. Boyle aswell for Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was looking at the betting this morning and have seen that Con O Callaghan is well ahead for the YFOTY.

Cluxton & Andy Moran are neck and neck for senior footballer- what do people think on tis.

I said it last year but I cant believe that Cluxton has never won it considering how influential he has (and still is) to Dublin.

Andy Moran has had a good seaon but jeez there'll be a big tip of the hat to Fitzmaurice and Shane Enright's boot providers if he wins it.

I thought Geaney had a superb season but as Kerry didnt make the final then I presume he's out.

Got to be Cluxton for me this year

If Mayo win and Moran has any influence at all in the final he will win it, if Dublin win it's Cluxtons.

O'Callaghan is nailed on for young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Badabing wrote: »
    If Fenton has a good game and Kilkenny they'd be in there aswell. Boyle aswell for Mayo

Yeah Boyle has been good in fairness- wouldnt agree on Fenton & Kilkenny though

If Mayo win and Moran has any influence at all in the final he will win it, if Dublin win it's Cluxtons.

O'Callaghan is nailed on for young player.

Yeah I see it as something similar- Mayon win and its Morans and if Dublin win then its Cluxtons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah I see it as something similar- Mayon win and its Morans and if Dublin win then its Cluxtons.

Wouldn't say its Moran's for sure. When Mayo win it could come down to the best performance on the day. Boyle, Higgins, O'Shea could all snatch it imo. Even the likes of Doherty in my book but he's gone a little under the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Aidan O Se for me so far.

Has been everyman to Mayo and played in every position bar Goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hard to look outside of Dublin or Mayo.

For Mayo, Moran the obvious one but Boyle and Higgins have been good too.

Still hard to believe that Cluxton has never won it, so I think when ( :D ) Dublin win on Sunday he'll be good thing, so no point talking about any other Dublin player!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Aidan O Se for me so far.

Has been everyman to Mayo and played in every position bar Goal.

He'll play there too before the game is over.

If he has a big game in the final then he could be in with a good shout.

Hmmm I'm surprised on Higgins- hasnt stood out for me.

Aidan O Shea might get it for the redemption narrative but I wouldnt think he has played any better this year than previous years- if he has a whopper of a final then that will change it obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hmmm I'm surprised on Higgins- hasnt stood out for me.

Aidan O Shea might get it for the redemption narrative but I wouldnt think he has played any better this year than previous years- if he has a whopper of a final then that will change it obviously

Higgins has been very good and was superb in the Roscommon replay.

We could be in Div 2 and long gone out of the Championship without Aidan imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Between sniper-accurate kick-outs and a number of decisive saves, I think Cluxton is well on track for it this year. And not just as a consolation due to his tenure, but because he's had one of the, if not the, best seasons I've ever seen him play.

As many have noted in recent weeks, Cluxton is now the only player on the Dublin team where you'd worry about his absence. Any other player could get hit by a bus on Saturday and you'd still be confident about Dublin on Sunday. But if Cluxton was gone you'd be forgiven for thinking all is lost.

I do agree Aidan O'Sé is a strong contender, but nobody really comes close to Cluxton this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

O'Callaghan won't get it because he'll get the YPOTY but he's been the best Dub for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PARlance wrote: »
    Higgins has been very good and was superb in the Roscommon replay.

We could be in Div 2 and long gone out of the Championship without Aidan imo.

He's been good in the last 3 games. Prior to that he hasn't played well. There was a lot of comments on here not too long ago that he should be demoted to the subs bench. After performances against Galway, Derry, Clare and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

seamus wrote: »
    Between sniper-accurate kick-outs and a number of decisive saves, I think Cluxton is well on track for it this year. And not just as a consolation due to his tenure, but because he's had one of the, if not the, best seasons I've ever seen him play.

As many have noted in recent weeks, Cluxton is now the only player on the Dublin team where you'd worry about his absence. Any other player could get hit by a bus on Saturday and you'd still be confident about Dublin on Sunday. But if Cluxton was gone you'd be forgiven for thinking all is lost.

I do agree Aidan O'Sé is a strong contender, but nobody really comes close to Cluxton this season.

Good kickouts yes, but he's had them all along so shouldn't be something that makes him the best footballer of the year.

Decisive saves? A decisive save for me is one that influences the final outcome of the game. Cluxton could have conceded 2 goals every game and the Dubs would still be comfortably where they are.

Footballer of the year should go to the best footballer of the year, not a lifetime achievement for reaching a certain level like Moran or Cluxton.

Cluxtons kickouts have been the same for a number of years yet didn't come close to winning it before, don't see why it should put him top of the pecking order.

Same with Moran, he had a great game v Kerry first day out but he's not been anything special otherwise. If either of these players win it then it is essentially a lifetime achievement award for the winning team.

I'd have Con O'Callaghan and Colm O'Boyle ahead of these 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Good kickouts yes, but he's had them all along
    Well, no he hasn't. 2015 and 2016 were actually kind of ropey years for Cluxton's kicking (in comparison to previous form), 2016 in particular. There were suggestions that it might be time to start thinking about giving someone else a go in goal.
    In the last five years, he's switched from primarily long kickouts, to primarily short kickouts, to where we have been this year where mid-length kickouts dominate moreso than massive kicks up forward. Obviously this is all at the behest of Gavin, but it shows that Cluxton is rock-solid when it comes to tactics. He's not one to fly off on his own crusade and make it up as he goes along. He's capable of sticking to the plan, even under pressure. Which is additionally crucial when he's the captain.
    Decisive saves? A decisive save for me is one that influences the final outcome of the game. Cluxton could have conceded 2 goals every game and the Dubs would still be comfortably where they are.
    Every save influences the final outcome of a game. So too does every goal. Maybe if you stop a shot in the dying minutes of a game where you're 10 points up. But until 55/60 minutes, any goal has the potential to swing the whole thing.

And saving isn't just about stopping direct shots on goal, it's about disrupting the forwards, keeping control of the goal area and catching or deflecting balls passed into the square.

Every time a direct attack on goal is denied, the opposition's confidence and determination is broken a little bit more.

Timely enough, there's a decent analysis here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-statistics-decoding-stephen-cluxton-s-kickout-1.3219834

Like I mention above, this wouldn't be a lifetime achievement award. Cluxton has been legitimately crushing it this year. The Dubs would be lost without him.

Well, no he hasn't. 2015 and 2016 were actually kind of ropey years for Cluxton's kicking (in comparison to previous form), 2016 in particular. There were suggestions that it might be time to start thinking about giving someone else a go in goal.
    In the last five years, he's switched from primarily long kickouts, to primarily short kickouts, to where we have been this year where mid-length kickouts dominate moreso than massive kicks up forward. Obviously this is all at the behest of Gavin, but it shows that Cluxton is rock-solid when it comes to tactics. He's not one to fly off on his own crusade and make it up as he goes along. He's capable of sticking to the plan, even under pressure. Which is additionally crucial when he's the captain.

Every save influences the final outcome of a game. So too does every goal. Maybe if you stop a shot in the dying minutes of a game where you're 10 points up. But until 55/60 minutes, any goal has the potential to swing the whole thing.

And saving isn't just about stopping direct shots on goal, it's about disrupting the forwards, keeping control of the goal area and catching or deflecting balls passed into the square.

Every time a direct attack on goal is denied, the opposition's confidence and determination is broken a little bit more.

Timely enough, there's a decent analysis here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-statistics-decoding-stephen-cluxton-s-kickout-1.3219834

Like I mention above, this wouldn't be a lifetime achievement award. Cluxton has been legitimately crushing it this year. The Dubs would be lost without him.

Still don't think the kickouts have been anything to propel him to the top.

Whether they are short or long, accuracy and gaining possession is the only thing that matters. There'll probably be times this weekend when Cluxtons kickouts are ****e as Mayo know what to do whereas the others are far below Dublins level.

Regarding his saves, Dublin are miles ahead of every other team they played this year and conceding goals at even the worst times wouldn't have changed the result.

Con O'Callaghan should get it if the dubs win. Colm O'Boyle if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Same with Moran, he had a great game v Kerry first day out but he's not been anything special otherwise. If either of these players win it then it is essentially a lifetime achievement award for the winning team.

Moran got 1-1 against Kerry in the replay, 1-2 against Roscommon in the replay. Fairly sure I read he's the top scorer from play in the Championship. He's as worthy a candidate as any at the moment although, as usual, Sunday will have a disproportionate impact on the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Footballer of the year should go to the best footballer of the year, not a lifetime achievement for reaching a certain level like Moran or Cluxton.

Cluxtons kickouts have been the same for a number of years yet didn't come close to winning it before, don't see why it should put him top of the pecking order.

I think if you were to say which player would Dublin miss most if he was gone, then the answer this year would be Cluxton.

They've progressed without Connolly this year, without McCaffrey last year.....both former players of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

corny wrote: »
    O'Callaghan won't get it because he'll get the YPOTY but he's been the best Dub for me.

What's the logic here? Austin Gleeson won the hurling POTY & YPOTY last year, as did Tony Kelly for Clare. If you're good enough, you're old enough. If he has a good final, he has every chance of winning both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    They've progressed without Connolly this year, without McCaffrey last year.....both former players of the year.

Not to be pedantic, he has never won player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Same As wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, he has never won player of the year.

Fair enough.

Frequently cited as the best footballer in the country maybe.

Anyway he deserves the accolade at some point, and sure this year is as good as any;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭munster87

Think Cluxton will get it if Dublin win but personally would have Clarke in goal ahead of him on an all star team at the moment. Few great saves again against Kerry in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Just don't understand the obsession so many javevwirh cluxton......no doubt he is a quality goal keeper but he is prone to 'howlers' of kick outs e.g. Last year v Kerry he almost gifted them a victory and there are quite a few other e.g. Also😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Couldn't agree more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Winner should be Andy Moran having his best scoring season from play at aged 33. Top of the scoring charts from play well ahead of the rest or be it more games played. To win it he'll probably have to have a decent AI final if not it will likely go to a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Only award that matters is the Celtic Cross. Everyone remembers the team that walks away with those. Who remembers Hurler or Footballer of the Year? Their ma, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭munster87

Would remember most footballer of the years to be honest. It's a great accolade to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It's a bit daft really,that we have to wait to see who wins the AI b4 poty is known,average season but gud, final =winner :steady season but poor final =loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It's a bit daft really,that we have to wait to see who wins the AI b4 poty is known,average season but gud, final =winner :steady season but poor final =loss
    That would be daft if it were to happen.

Advertisement