Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster vs Scarlets, Fri 15th Sept 7:35pm, BBCNI

• 14-09-2017 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster Rugby team to play Scarlets, Friday 15th September, Kingspan Stadium (7.35pm):
    (1-8): Kyle McCall, Rob Herring, Wiehahn Herbst, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O'Connor, Chris Henry (captain), Sean Reidy, Jean Deysel;
    (9-15): John Cooney, Christian Lealiifano, Jacob Stockdale, Stuart McCloskey, Luke Marshall, Andrew Trimble, Louis Ludik.
    Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Rodney Ah You, Robbie Diack, Matthew Rea, Paul Marshall, Peter Nelson, Tommy Bowe.

Scarlets:
    15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Johnny Mcnicholl, 13 Hadleigh Parkes, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies,
    1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Tadhg Beirne, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Josh Macleod, Jonathan Evans, Rhys Jones, Jonathan Davies

This should be a cracker! :)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scarlets have their Lions back and we don't.

Screw the IRFU.

Big test for Ulster and probably the first major top table clash of the season that I'm really interested in (sorry Connacht).

Scarlets look stronger on paper especially tight 5.

Should be a terrific match, would love to see Ulster do a number on them after their double on Leinster / Munster at the end of last season.

Do it Ulster. Do it for Frodo.

6vRmoIu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

awec wrote: »
    Scarlets have their Lions back and we don't.

Screw the IRFU.

I'm not opposed to the player management scheme generally speaking but you do sometimes think there could be a bit more flexibility. Ulster have Dragons home and Zebre away in their next two fixtures, surely Henderson and Payne could take one of or both of those games and be available tomorrow night, even if it was coming off the bench.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I'm not opposed to the player management scheme generally speaking but you do sometimes think there could be a bit more flexibility. Ulster have Dragons home and Zebre away in their next two fixtures, surely Henderson and Payne could take one of or both of those games and be available tomorrow night, even if it was coming off the bench.

Going into the most difficult game so far and a very important one in the context of the season without Best, Henderson, Coetzee, Piutau, arguably our four most influential players.

IRFU rules are far too arbitrary. I would love to know if there has ever been any proven benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm not wanting to defend the IRFU because I do think they take things to the extreme when it comes to releasing players but I reckon the fixtures are irrelevant it will be down to the players pre season schedule.

But generally yes I would like to see the players play even a couple more games a season. Apart from anything else I think the league needs it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Cracking thread, Gromit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Going into the most difficult game so far and a very important one in the context of the season without Best, Henderson, Coetzee, Piutau, arguably our four most influential players.

IRFU rules are far too arbitrary. I would love to know if there has ever been any proven benefit to them.

It's hardly arbitrary. It's probably the polar opposite in fact. Is it sometimes a pain in the ass? Yes. But that doesn't make it arbitrary? No.

I agree Hendo and Best should be available for a game like this, but their pre-season will be mapped out well in advance of fixtures being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

any more word on Beirne coming back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Lots of exciting match ups in those two back lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Where is Piutau?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 262 ✭✭letf

Where is Piutau?

injured.

• Site Banned Posts: 262 ✭✭letf

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    any more word on Beirne coming back to Ireland?

Munster looks fairly likely.

Where is Piutau?

Injured (it's minor, I think he was in the reckoning for this game).

Where is Piutau?

I think he hurt his arm counting money a couple of weeks ago...either that or else we are getting him fresh for the Dragons and Zebre...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Deysel out with eye inury. Rea starts, Ross on bench.

We;ll lose, but we;ll have three homegrown players starting in the pack. Woo-hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ulster Rugby team to play Scarlets, Friday 15th September, Kingspan Stadium (7.35pm):
    (1-8): Kyle McCall, Rob Herring, Wiehahn Herbst, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O'Connor, Chris Henry (captain), Sean Reidy, Jean Deysel;
    (9-15): John Cooney, Christian Lealiifano, Jacob Stockdale, Stuart McCloskey, Luke Marshall, Andrew Trimble, Louis Ludik.
    Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Rodney Ah You, Robbie Diack, Matthew Rea, Paul Marshall, Peter Nelson, Tommy Bowe.

Scarlets:
    15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Johnny Mcnicholl, 13 Hadleigh Parkes, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies,
    1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Jake Ball, 5 Tadhg Beirne, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Josh Macleod, Jonathan Evans, Rhys Jones, Jonathan Davies

This should be a cracker! :)

Where's the write up? Pimping out your thread in the Ulster thread and it's little more than a quick copy n paste job.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    Where's the write up? Pimping out your thread in the Ulster thread and it's little more than a quick copy n paste job.

Thomond's Big Match Preview:

Nucifora OUT.

There, I've satisfied the Ulster regulars.

But naw, it should be a good game. Scarlets have had an incredible backline for years but it's only in the last year that they've had the pack to match it. Tadhg Beirne and John Barclay have been fantastic signings. The loss of James Davies is a blow though, playacting side he's a brilliant player. McNicholl and Steff Evans are arguably the best wing combination in the league and if Halfpenny can recapture form he didn't show on the Lions Tour the back three will be all kinds of awesome. There's not a lot of weakness in a fully fit starting XV.

It's tough on Ulster they don't have the Lions back. I do think there should be a bit more wriggle room regarding team selection. It's pointless having the likes of Henderson available for Zebre where he's not needed. Tomorrow Ulster could do with him in the trenches. Even allowing him to come on after 60 minutes would be a boost. As Scarlets are in Ulster's conference this is an 8 pointer kind of game and it damages the league's reputation to see top internationals missing out.

Ultimately Scarlets are on a bit of a roll and it wouldn't surprise if Jon Davies comes on to score a late winner. They'll see this as a game to really show they can continue from their fantastic playoff run last season. Scarlets by 5 IMO. :(

Our pack are missing Best, Henderson, Deysel and Coetzee. There is no way we will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saw a few quotes from a newspaper interview with Billy Vunipola on twitter this morning where he advocates an 11 game premiership season in order to protect players. He says the players may eventually go on strike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We;ll lose, but we;ll have three homegrown players starting in the pack. Woo-hoo.

Well that's s**t. Hard to see a home win so....

• Advertisement

I'm not too confident of the win but one of the things I'll be interested in will be Rea's performance, he seems to do well in the lineout last week but didn't really do a lot else that I can remember. However it was his first game so it will be interesting to see how he goes. I also like our second row this week which seems a good mix of dog and athleticism.

Hopefully Cooney goes well again and we see Stockdale, Trimble and McCloskey fire in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just pointing out, for those that would prefer the TG4 coverage (as I do) to the BBC coverage, this match will be televised live on TG4, coverage starting at 19:30.

I wish I had BBC Norn Iron. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

I wish I had BBC Norn Iron. :(

have you ever hear big gusher commentate? you may be better off with tg4!

Scythica wrote: »
    have you ever hear big gusher commentate? you may be better off with tg4!

Ah I didn't realise it was on TG4. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Scarlets are mad. Should be a good game

Is that Ronan Loughney as co-commentator on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

I'm really taking a shine to Cooney. he's hungry for work, even if it doesn't always work out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

This game is about as exciting as a conversation with Les Kiss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Scythica wrote: »
    I'm really taking a shine to Cooney. he's hungry for work, even if it doesn't always work out

Fine penalty.
    As the Irish replacement for Pienaar he's doing a good job so far to pick up where his predecessor left off.

Advertisement