Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Final: Dublin v Mayo. Sunday 17th @ 3:30pm **(MOD NOTE POST#2 #395)**

• 12-09-2017 3:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So after a total of 62 games and over 4 months starting all the way back in the Bronx where Sligo overcame New York, it's a very familiar All Ireland SFC final on Sunday between Dublin and Mayo.
    Come Sunday evening, history will be made regardless of the result (unless the dastardly GAA "manufacture" another draw). It will either be the first "3-in-a-row" since Kerry achieved the feat between 1984 - 1986 or (obviously) Mayo will be All Ireland champions for the first time since 1951.

Paths to the Final
    Dublin
    03 June: Dublin 0-19, Carlow 0-7 (Leinster Quarter Final)
    25 June: Dublin 4-29, Westmeath 0-10 (Leinster Semi Final)
    16 July: Dublin 2-23, Kildare 1-17 (Leinster Final)
    05 August: Dublin 1-19, Monaghan 0-12 (All-Ireland Quarter Final)
    27 August: Dublin 2-17, Tyrone 0-11 (All-Ireland Semi Final)
    Mayo
    21 May: Mayo 2-14, Sligo 0-11 (Connacht Quarter Final)
    11 June: Galway 0-15, Mayo 1-11 (Connacht Semi Final)
    01 July: Mayo 2-21, Derry 1-13 AET (Round 2 Qualifier)
    08 July: Mayo 2-14, Clare 0-13 (Round 3 Qualifier)
    22 July: Mayo 0-27, Cork 2-20 AET (Round 4 Qualifier)
    30 July: Mayo 1-12, Roscommon 2-9 (All-Ireland Quarter Final)
    07 August: Mayo 4-19, Roscommon 0-9 (All-Ireland Quarter Final Replay)
    20 August: Mayo 2-14, Kerry 2-14 (All-Ireland Semi Final)
    26 August: Mayo 2-16, Kerry 0-17 (All-Ireland Semi Final Replay)
    Two things are immediately apparent from the above.
    First, Mayo's path to the final is the longest since Tyrone's path to their second Sam Maguire back in 2005. Sunday's game will be their 10th of the summer (which includes 2 games that went to extra time). Overall, they've endured 670 minutes of football to reach their 4th final in 6 years. Dublin, in comparison, have played just 5 games (350 minutes) so far this year.

Secondly, Dublin's massive scoring ability and their (bar the Leinster final) miserly defence has been a feature of their summer. Surprisingly, Carlow have been the only team to keep the Dubs below 20 points in the championship. And despite the regular (often accurate) negative comments about Leinster football, Kildare are the only side to keep the losing margin in single digits and are the only side to put one past Cluxton.

Dublin have, quite simply, blown away every single one of their opponents this year. At times in 2016, their desire was questioned (despite winning their second title in a row) but I don't think anyone can question that this year. I get the feeling that the Connolly "incident" back in June has been a blessing in disguise for Jim Gavin as Dublin have looked a different animal since then. Their quick starts have resulted in games being over as a contest long before half time. Their accuracy from play is astounding this season. I haven't seen their stats as a whole for the season, but their wide count during the Tyrone game (or so I heard) was...... 2.
    Another big win and it'll probably the "easiest" (in terms of the margins of victory) All-Ireland since Kerry's 4th in a row in 1981.

But their up against Mayo again. And while Dublin have had the better of Mayo in recent championship meetings, it's rarely been easy. And there's the feeling that a little bit more luck in some of these games and the result may have been different. Mayo, performance wise, have probably had their worst season for quite a while. Yet they find themselves in another All Ireland final. They fell once again to Galway in Connacht before stuttering through the qualifiers only to save their best performances for the All Ireland series (albeit after replays). Getting the Kerry monkey off their back must have been a huge relief too.

If they are to win, they're going to have to somehow stop Cluxton's laser accurate kickouts. But I honestly don't know how that's possible. Sit back and you gift Dublin possession in their own half and let them build an attack. Push up and it's likely that Cluxton pings a 60 yard kick to a Dublin player on the run giving them possession and a more open defence to run at. There's also that small issue of Dublin's bench. 15 on 15 and Mayo have every chance. But 21 on 21 is a different story altogether.

Eyes (as usual) will be on the referee. The recent championship games have been known for their niggle and players/fans will undoubtedly be screaming for every perceived foul making it a near impossible game to referee. The "lucky" man in the middle is Cavan's Joe McQuillan.

Past 5 championship meetings
    2016: Dublin 1-15, Mayo 1-14 (All Ireland Final Replay)
    2016: Dublin 2-9, Mayo 0-15 (All Ireland Final)
    2015: Dublin 3-15, Mayo 1-14 (All Ireland Semi Final Replay)
    2015: Dublin 2-12, Mayo 1-15 (All Ireland Semi Final)
    2013: Dublin 2-12, Mayo 1-14 (All Ireland Final)

Odds
    Dublin: 2/5
    Mayo: 3/1
    Draw: 9/1

Prediction:
    Mayo have impressed me in how they've ground out wins when needed. Their run to the final sort of reminds me of Kerry's run in 2009 when they scraped wins in the qualifiers but still ended up as champions. In any other era, they would probably have more than one All Ireland. But I just cannot see this Dublin team being beaten. If Mayo can go hell for leather for 70 minutes and, most importantly, not let Dublin get 5 or 6 ahead, then they definitely can win. But Dublin are a machine this year. While I can't see them winning as easily as they have done this season, I think it's inevitable that Sam will remain in the capital for the third year running.
    Dublin by 5

Enjoy the game.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod Note: The usual rules regarding abuse of players, managers, other posters apply.
    Depending on the severity of the offence/your previous record, you are likely to be banned for the remainder of the game if you break these rules.
    Using terms like scum(bag), thug, rat etc. will earn you a card/ban. This list is not exhaustive. If you think it may be against the rules, then it's best not to post it.
    You can criticise a player and his actions without resorting to abuse.
    Abuse of posters will almost certainly get you a ban.

Also, can we please not have the usual crap that infests these match threads (like last year's final thread)? We'll have no problem closing this thread until the morning of the game if it gets too out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A very good post HA.

Hard to disagree with anything there, but no doubt someone will find something!

Dublin by 6 to 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mayo by 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Will I get banned/barred/reported if I tell you to fcuk right off?

(No offense intended/implied or inferred.)

Seriously like...I can't handle another shaggin' replay ! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

PARlance wrote: »
    Mayo by 7.

And then you woke up , it was all a dream :D

And then you woke up , it was all a dream :D

I'll admit that 7 is my upper range. Mayo by 4 to 7 points. You still won't know what hit ye this day next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Dublin by 5 points. Will get their 3-in-a-row and continue their unbeaten c'ship streak.

PaddyPower now have them at 2/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Dubs by 5 / 6....cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

If anyone is a betting man Mayo +5.5 at 6/4 looks a good bet. Hard to know though if Mayo play like they are capable of then they are a match for anyone.
    Dublin are heavy favourites for a reason though. Heart says Mayo head says we will have to play our absolute best to have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

IMO the only thing stopping the 3 in a row is a lack of hard games,on the other hand Mayo couldn't be any more match hardened,if Sam heads west it would be one of the hardest won AI s ever. The weather hopefully will be better by Sunday,PS McQuillan WILL do something stupid,he can't help himself. Dublin by 2,though I wouldn't be shocked if it was Mayo by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Mayo by 7.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am sure the Mayo squad are doing thier best in training and planning.

But they must be worried only four days of praying left

qd1mlm0.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

franklyon wrote: »
    If anyone is a betting man Mayo +5.5 at 6/4 looks a good bet. Hard to know though if Mayo play like they are capable of then they are a match for anyone.
    Dublin are heavy favourites for a reason though. Heart says Mayo head says we will have to play our absolute best to have a chance.

Where ya seein that price?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mayo for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Dubs by 4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hope Mayo do it. The pressure on those lads must be immense.

I'll admit that 7 is my upper range. Mayo by 4 to 7 points. You still won't know what hit ye this day next week.

keep dreaming mate !

Mayo for me.

Please explain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mayo by 7.

The only way Mayo are going to win is by a decent score like that. If it's at all close in extra time, they'll **** the bed as usual. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:

There's only one Conor McGregor
    There's no fighter better
    And he's gonna knock out Floyd Maywa... Wait!

Paddy power well at least it was that price earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bambi wrote: »
    The only way Mayo are going to win is by a decent score like that. If it's at all close in extra time, they'll **** the bed as usual. :D

Some day preferably Sunday,I hope we prove you wrong.

Can't see us winning at a canter,no chance.If we are going to win it I believe we'll have to do it the hard way.

Stoner wrote: »
    There's only one Conor McGregor
    There's no fighter better
    And he's gonna knock out Floyd Maywa... Wait!

There's only one Cillian O'Connor
    There's no faker better
    And he's going knock frees over inanyweather

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Mayo by 5+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

There's no faker better

Provided they are less than 42m in range....

Although looking at COC's tally this year, it could be an all time record finishing up @75 points if projections are to be believed. It's Impressive to say the least.

I can only recall mid-60's as the current record - anyone want to set me straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

There's no faker better

If the ref gives any against the Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

franklyon wrote: »
    Paddy power well at least it was that price earlier.

Go back to bed!!That price was never available.

[Never mind got 6/4 and 4/6 mixed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Big difference between 6/4 and 4/6 frank

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement