Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AI ticket scams

Options
  • 09-09-2017 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Scammers at it full tilt, careful now
    Police Service of Northern Ireland

Police are warning the public to be aware of a current ticketing fraud. Over the past week we have received numerous reports of the public being approached by a fraudster offering GAA All-Ireland final tickets online.

This male claims to be from Antrim GAA and is clear when people contact him to purchase these the money has to be sent in cash.

Numerous people from all over Ireland have sent cash to addresses in Belfast without receiving tickets in return. The addresses the monies have been issued to have ranged through all parts of Belfast.

Scammers are inventive and can be very convincing. Their singular aim is to gain access to your money and they will employ just about any tactic to do so, from purporting to represent businesses and government agencies to claiming to be fundraising for charity. Always be wary of any individual that cold calls you and be especially suspicious of anyone who asks for money, banking or credit card information.

It is highly unusual for any legitimate company or organisation to demand money over the phone.

If you are at all suspicious about a call that you receive, hang up and phone the organisation that the person is purporting to represent to check their authenticity. Ideally make the call from another telephone so you can be sure the original caller has not remained on the line.
    Guarding your personal and banking details is essential. Never disclose them to any unauthorised person.

If you have received a call of this kind or are concerned by the intent of unsolicited calls, emails or letters then please report it to Action Fraud via their website www.actionfraud.police.uk or by phoning 0300 123 2040, or call police on the non-emergency number 101.
    Further advice and information can also be obtained by visiting https://www.psni.police.uk/crime/fraud/ and www.nidirect.gov.uk/scamwiseni.

http://the42.ie/3587895

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Anyone hear anymore about this? Name he was using etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I was caught by the same fella in August of this year for tickets to Dublin vs Tyrone.

Same As wrote: »
    I was caught by the same fella in August of this year for tickets to Dublin vs Tyrone.

Would you mind sending me a pm with the name he used or any other details if you can please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Hope you filed a complaint? I dont see the need for a PM people like that or the alias they are using and how they managed to scam people should be posted for all to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How did the scam work?

• Advertisement

But how did you buy them?Where were they advertised etc?

If it was the same lad I spoke to (and it looks like it was) then he just let it be known online through here or other sites that he had a few premium tickets that were in the family but he couldn't attend and he was selling them for face value (face value being the price the GAA charge for them on the ticket exchange website). He was convincing enough to a point.

If he was a user on here did you report it to GAA mods?

I'm just confirming that it was the same lad and I'll pass on details then.

• Advertisement

Appreciate it. I wasn't scammed or anything but it would be good to post details on the scam to help everybody here avoid the same fate.
    As the day gets closer people are getting increasingly desperate and there are always scumbags out there willing to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I thought this was going to be about the mayo and dublin county boards effectively touting their own tickets.

Having being conned, while most seems commons sense, here's some general advice for buying tickets from someone you don't know:

Request a photo of the tickets:
    Make sure the person actually legitimately has the tickets, and that they're not with a friend or in the office. If you're going to part with your hard earned, then the least they can do is reassure you they have them by providing proof.

Fact check identity:
    In this case, the scammer purportedly was involved with Antrim County board. A quick phone call to the county board would reveal he was not involved.

Two way transaction:
    Cash for tickets. Simple as. Only handover cash when you've gotten the tickets and are appeased they are fully legit.

Request the person to bring ID to the transaction:
    Get a photo of the ID of the person selling the tickets and have a witness with you to corroborate your story should things go sour.

Lastly, if any doubts, just don't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

franklyon wrote: »
    If he was a user on here did you report it to GAA mods?
    Lenny86.

I knew that clown was up to something... claiming he was on a County Board for 9 years and in another post saying he was mid 30's. He also claimed he "sorted" people out with tickets (after he offered advice to go to the 7's and buy of a tout...)

Had a little run in with him but didn't know he was a con artist. Hope Seligehgit didn't get stung by him, I saw him asking for tickets and was about to warn him off but wasn't the place.

Heh yeah same clown that wrote to me last week. So glad I didn't make the trip up to Belfast and I would have gone up too if he had called but he never did.

Having being conned, while most seems commons sense, here's some general advice for buying tickets from someone you don't know:

Request a photo of the tickets:
    Make sure the person actually legitimately has the tickets, and that they're not with a friend or in the office. If you're going to part with your hard earned, then the least they can do is reassure you they have them by providing proof.

Fact check identity:
    In this case, the scammer purportedly was involved with Antrim County board. A quick phone call to the county board would reveal he was not involved.

Two way transaction:
    Cash for tickets. Simple as. Only handover cash when you've gotten the tickets and are appeased they are fully legit.

Request the person to bring ID to the transaction:
    Get a photo of the ID of the person selling the tickets and have a witness with you to corroborate your story should things go sour.

Lastly, if any doubts, just don't buy.
    If you dont mind me asking how did he con you? Did you actually go to Belfast or just sent on the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

We didnt hand over money or anything, we just said he was a dick for what we thought of as, selling the ticket to someone else and then not bothering to tell us to save us the spin up. We got tickets through another source and Galway won so he didnt ruin our weekend too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

sasta le wrote: »
    Wow a full time scammer so

Sure is.

Wesley Brennan as mentioned in the Irish Times article.

Here's another scam of his:
    https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/plenty-fish-conman-strikes-again-9664647.amp

The guy is from Dublin, has been operating in Dublin, Belfast and Scotland also. He has already served time and will likely do so once again.

Is it hard to trace an ip address?As in if you were ever buying online again

• Advertisement

I often see tickets in last few years on ebay being up the north and the u.k always seemed dodgy

sasta le wrote: »
    Is it hard to trace an ip address?As in if you were ever buying online again

There wouldn't be a way for you to legitimately trace his IP address based on a board post or anything like that. Moderators only have such visibility.

In fairness to anyone that got caught he was fairly convincing. I spoke to him on the phone and thought him the finest. He even sent me a copy of an email from Antrim Gaa. He didn't know who Sambo was though which raised the first doubt with me and then one or two other small things but I very nearly got stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

franklyon wrote: »

Just as well I saw this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There wouldn't be a way for you to legitimately trace his IP address based on a board post or anything like that. Moderators only have such visibility.

Just to clarify, mods can't see IP addresses either. And we certainly cannot trace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All - if you have received any suspicious PMs about ticket sales, please report the PM. The more information we have, the more we can pinpoint this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Buying online from someone on a message board or Done Deal is a really bad way to source tickets.

You are really running the risk of being conned.

A bit of leg work the night before or morning of the final is a far safer way to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I have just sent my credit card payment for ten face value tickets to The Honourable Prince Welcome Mumba, secretary of the Lagos Gaels club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have just sent my credit card payment for ten face value tickets to The Honourable Prince Welcome Mumba, secretary of the Lagos Gaels club.

That's one thing that bugs the s**t out of me.

The Lagos Gales always seem to get loads of tickets, and good ones too.

Advertisement