Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Classic

• 07-09-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭

Hi all, been thinking would it be useful to have a post where boards users post their "modern classic" and what insurance company insured them ? I'm considering a modern classic as the second car in the household with all this bulls**it with mainstream insurance companies restricting people's options when it comes to 10/15+ year old cars.Personally I don't do much mileage but I don't wanna be shelling out close to €1000 in insurance for the second household car.

Could owners of what could be described as modern classics/daily drivers post the make/model, the insurance company that covered them, the policy specifics and price.

I think it would be useful for similarly minded people :D:confused::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have a 97 bmw 840 insured under a classic policy for 400 a year with first ireland brokers using aig insurance. but have had the same policy with allienz and axa over the years.
    The 840 is my only car, but I am limited to 6000 miles a year and since last year ,car must be 20 or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Skatedude wrote: »
    I have a 97 bmw 840 insured under a classic policy for 400 a year with first ireland brokers using aig insurance. but have had the same policy with allienz and axa over the years.
    The 840 is my only car, but I am limited to 6000 miles a year.

Good stuff, thanks for kicking it off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

Skatedude wrote: »
    The 840 is my only car, but I am limited to 6000 miles a year and since last year ,car must be 20 or older.

That's interesting . My classic policies insist that I have a primary ( daily ) car .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Interesting they've hardened the requirement about 20 years. Always had a bit of leeway with BMW Audi, or Merc.

tom petty wrote: »
    That's interesting . My classic policies insist that I have a primary ( daily ) car .

Do tell us ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Interesting they've hardened the requirement about 20 years. Always had a bit of leeway with BMW Audi, or Merc.

That's been gone since early last year. Unless you have an existing classic car policy and you've already had a youngtimer on it (less than 20 years old). I have fully comp classic insurance on my 18 year old Porsche for €289 per year. The Porsche is the only car I have insured (through First Ireland), but I am a named driver on the family car.

There are other companies that do "classic" insurance on youngtimers, but you pay the full whack. Like Autoline in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

MojoMaker wrote: »

It was 15 years till last year, now it's twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Plus some places wont touch Japanese, had an issue when i had my 95 Impreza.
    Couldnt get it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Muckie wrote: »
    Couldnt get it covered.

Axa were fine with my Cappuccino, although it is an original UK market car so that might be the difference.

Muckie wrote: »
    Couldnt get it covered.

To be fair the Impreza is 100% a modern classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Insured my 98 2.8 Z3 with first Ireland. Already have a few other classics with them, so the 20 year thing wasn't an issue (as it was over 15 years old). Ideally would've preferred the 3.0 or 3.2, but couldn't justify 5 times the price for it.

I was originally looking at an MX5, but they wouldn't touch it. Japanese was a big no. This is from AIG

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Tried with my E36 318i 1998 rang all of the brokers. Was told not old enough. But they reserve the right to say next year that the e36 is in their opinion not a classic.

Paying 700 at the moment so still hoping to move to a classic policy next year as I only do 3.5K miles. But it would need to be an only car policy

I had several E46 BMWs on classic insurance last year. If they are classics, then for sure the E36 are too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

i would love to drive a classic full time, wouldnt mind paying the insurance on it and get the cheaper tax too.....im a named driver on my wifes car and my dads van and have been for years, what companies insure classics as full time cars? i would like to get some quotes.....is it harder to get a lhd car insured here?

Should be ok with First Ireland, depending on your age, the car, etc. Give them a call, they are not bad to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Have my Alfa gtv on a classic policy with autoline. 1996 car.
    Carol Nash wouldn't insure it as they didn't have the model on their system as being over 20 years old:confused:

Fbd would insure it, but I could only use it to drive to shows.
    First Ireland would as well, but were looking for 360 and less miles.

Autoline quoted me 300, 60 days cover in Europe and 5000 miles a year.
    Sadly I've been flat out with work since May that I haven't got to drive it all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Autoline quoted me 300, 60 days cover in Europe and 5000 miles a year.
    Sadly I've been flat out with work since May that I haven't got to drive it all summer.

do Autoline require you to have a daily driver too (as is the case with most) - or will they insure a classic/youngtimer as a daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

tc20 wrote: »
    do Autoline require you to have a daily driver too (as is the case with most) - or will they insure a classic/youngtimer as a daily?

Needed a daily driver which I have.
    However they didn't ask me to submit any documents....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

I tried putting my 2001 w203 on my classic policy with FBD. Didn't wash. In fairness it is hardly a classic by any measure. If it was 20 years old they would though.

I have the 190e insured for 175, with no mileage cap and open driving. Still have only clocked 4K in 3 years!

Advertisement