Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Team Value difficult to build this year

Options
  • 10-09-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

It seems team value is difficult to build and maintain this year.

Players seem to fall very easily and are taking longer than expected to get rise based on online price rise prediction websites.

Only 30 players have got a rise so far this year, and only 6 players are up more than 0.1. On the other side we have 189 fallers, with 40 of these falling more than once and shedding 0.2 or more.

So it looks like it will be tough year to build value for the 2nd wildcard after Christmas.

Given this added difficulty, I'm very happy with my current team value of 101.2 million. I have been actively trying to build team value and shipping potential droppers and bringing in likely risers. This week for example I dropped Lacazatte and brought in Firmino and that saved me 0.2 in team value. However this ended up costing me 4 points with Lacazatte scoring and Firmino blanking. So I need to be carefull not to let value dictate transfer policy too much. I do think having a value of 104+ around Jan/Feb makes a huge difference to finishing the season strongly especially given that I utilise all chips late in the season when double gameweeks come along.

How are other people's team values shaping up so far?? Do you chase value or ignore it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I don't place much emphasis on it, certainly wouldn't take a hit to protect team value...I've only made 2 transfers so far and sitting pretty in the top 1% , similar to previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I don't place much emphasis on it, certainly wouldn't take a hit to protect team value...I've only made 2 transfers so far and sitting pretty in the top 1% , similar to previous years.

Yes I'd agree with that, unless fixture was very good for the player you are taking the hit for and they'd have to be an attacking option. I have not taken any hits yet this year and only do so when my hand is forced with multiple injuries/suspensions. I'm a strong believer in trying to have a squad of 15 starters with a core of 9 very strong players and the others rotate based on form and opponent.

Well done on your start, top 350,000 is quite good at this stage given that a lot of the players ahead of you may have already wasted chips..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

It seems team value is difficult to build and maintain this year.

Players seem to fall very easily and are taking longer than expected to get rise based on online price rise prediction websites.

Only 30 players have got a rise so far this year, and only 6 players are up more than 0.1. On the other side we have 189 fallers, with 40 of these falling more than once and shedding 0.2 or more.

So it looks like it will be tough year to build value for the 2nd wildcard after Christmas.

Given this added difficulty, I'm very happy with my current team value of 101.2 million. I have been actively trying to build team value and shipping potential droppers and bringing in likely risers. This week for example I dropped Lacazatte and brought in Firmino and that saved me 0.2 in team value. However this ended up costing me 4 points with Lacazatte scoring and Firmino blanking. So I need to be carefull not to let value dictate transfer policy too much. I do think having a value of 104+ around Jan/Feb makes a huge difference to finishing the season strongly especially given that I utilise all chips late in the season when double gameweeks come along.

How are other people's team values shaping up so far?? Do you chase value or ignore it?

The ratio of falls to rises is normal. Far more drops than rises, same every year. What has changed this year is the rate/number of both rises as falls.

After GW3 the number of rises was down 25% on the same period last year and the number of drops was down 35%. I'll recap and update those figures later this week.

This change has significantly influenced my approach. Much less rapid rises mean that it's more feasible to hold off on getting targets you want in a week or 2 as they might only rise 0.1 or 0.2 where in previous seasons waiting on a few targets while shipping drops could cost you 1m at this stage of the season. I usually wildcarded by GW3 or 4 for that reason.

I haven't yet and despite an absolute GW from hell this week I may wait till GW6 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes, this year has been awful to gain value.
    As someone who plays to increase value as much as possible before Christmas, then buy the dream team with the Jan WC, it has ruined my strategy. I'm at 100k and have made 4 transfers whereas normally I'd either have WC'd or taken 4 - 6 hits by now.
    To be honest, despite an ok overall rank, I'm not enjoying it this year.
    It basically means I can nowjust log in on a Friday evening to change my team and not look at it again for another week. I miss the daily research, the hype of the rises/drops and the sense of satisfaction when you can afford 4 of the big 5 after just 2 months while others are struggling with 2 or 3 in their team without destroying their balance.
    The two seasons I finished in the top 5K were the two with the most significant price changes of recent years, in the season I had my second best finish, I had the 2nd most valuable team in the world (there was a table of most valuable teams), but crucially, I kept my team competitive.
    To be honest, I'm already losing interest this season and the addition of gimmicks like TC etc. just lessens the experience every year. I'll plough on for another while and hope it changes but I dont hold much confidence it will.

Yes, this year has been awful to gain value.
    As someone who plays to increase value as much as possible before Christmas, then buy the dream team with the Jan WC, it has ruined my strategy. I'm at 100k and have made 4 transfers whereas normally I'd either have WC'd or taken 4 - 6 hits by now.
    To be honest, despite an ok overall rank, I'm not enjoying it this year.
    It basically means I can nowjust log in on a Friday evening to change my team and not look at it again for another week. I miss the daily research, the hype of the rises/drops and the sense of satisfaction when you can afford 4 of the big 5 after just 2 months while others are struggling with 2 or 3 in their team without destroying their balance.
    The two seasons I finished in the top 5K were the two with the most significant price changes of recent years, in the season I had my second best finish, I had the 2nd most valuable team in the world (there was a table of most valuable teams), but crucially, I kept my team competitive.
    To be honest, I'm already losing interest this season and the addition of gimmicks like TC etc. just lessens the experience every year. I'll plough on for another while and hope it changes but I dont hold much confidence it will.

Ok OR? 100K is spectacular this early.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

FHFC wrote: »
    The ratio of falls to rises is normal. Far more drops than rises, same every year. What has changed this year is the rate/number of both rises as falls.

After GW3 the number of rises was down 25% on the same period last year and the number of drops was down 35%. I'll recap and update those figures later this week.

This change has significantly influenced my approach. Much less rapid rises mean that it's more feasible to hold off on getting targets you want in a week or 2 as they might only rise 0.1 or 0.2 where in previous seasons waiting on a few targets while shipping drops could cost you 1m at this stage of the season. I usually wildcarded by GW3 or 4 for that reason.

I haven't yet and despite an absolute GW from hell this week I may wait till GW6 at least.

That's very interesting. Where did you get those figures from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

TheDazzler wrote: »

His little black book. This isnt a joke he has actually kept records for years.

More on it in the price changes thread if you read back a bit. I'll post updated figures tomorrow probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Missing Links

His little black book. This isnt a joke he has actually kept records for years.

And I thought he was trying to get a rise out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

FHFC wrote: »
    More on it in the price changes thread if you read back a bit. I'll post updated figures tomorrow probably.

I just read that. Very good, that's tremendous work.

• Advertisement

I just read that. Very good, that's tremendous work.

Didn't get to this today, regrettably had to spend a good deal of my time at work today actually working.... hopefully it was a once of! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Agree, price changes upwards much slower this year. It's taken some of the thrill of the game out of it for me and is more benefiting the casuals rathers than the dogged players.
    I usually had a team value of close to 108-110m by xmas every year. I reckon this year I'll do well to be at 103m by then.

Advertisement