Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a car mascot?

• 09-09-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a family heirloom which I believe that is a car mascot. It was an ornament in my grandparents house back in the 1960's. I would just like to know if it is indeed a mascot and, if so, what make of car. Thanks in advance. :)

IMG_7303.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It certainly looks like one. Is there a thread on the inside of the base?
    They were popular from the 20's up to late forties.
    It does not appear to be from a particular make but many after market mascots were made.
    Could be worth a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Here's a pic of the base. No manufacturer's name, serial number or anything else.

IMG_7317.JPG

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0807/12/bronze-cat-car-mascot-hood-ornament-radiator_1_37f611dbe2ccb3f49e15c285fb5c50a6.jpg

You can see a strong similarity to your one here.
    Not sure if yours is a cat or bear!
    It's a nice thing to have, a bit of motoring history.
    Do you have any idea how it came to be in the family?

I haven't a clue where it came from but probably from my grandfather's car. Here's a 1920's photo of my mother and her sister sitting on the family car but I can't make out any mascot. I don't even know the make of the car - I prefer trains! :D

Alverstoke%2B1920s%2BCOPY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Pretty sure it's on top of the radiator grille in that photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GSBellew wrote: »

Bear Grille................:o..soz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there was a fashion back then for mascots, they don't usually refer to a particular brand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

From the look of the machining/filing/grinding marks on the bear's front paw, the rough edge of the metal disc between the bear and the actual rad cap, and the non-waterproof/rustproof nut assembly under the cap, I'd say that this mascot was added to the cap later on - perhaps a manufacturer's mascot from another car, or just an aftermarket mascot for fans of bears.
    It's probably an aftermarket mascot, but there were loads of minor manufacturers that came and went in the early 20th century, so you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Isambard wrote: »
    there was a fashion back then for mascots, they don't usually refer to a particular brand

Yes..they were just an expression of one's interest maybe....just like LED'S or too big wheels thesedays...:P

GSBellew wrote: »

I think you are right. At first I thought it was part of the shrub behind but using a magnifying glass I think there is a mascot there. A closer look at the original print might confirm.

As for the car, I can't identify the make. If you are really interested in finding out just put up a new post seeking opinions. There are a lot of well informed posters on here and I'm sure someone will know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Closely examine the item for a manufacturers mark.

Better still, an artists mark, as artists of the day were well

known for designing the original, that the cast was copied from.

If you find one, it might be worth a good bit of money.

There's zero sign of any markings and so I'll hold on to it as a paperweight. Thanks everybody for confirming my thoughts about it being a mascot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Looks like an Austin 20/4 too me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Casting details would be on the base of cast item, not the threaded cap.

You would have to remove the threaded part.

Possible artists name would be on the main piece as well,

if its there at all.

Advertisement