Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGFA Rules question

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

A player is running through and is fouled (no question it was and it was a penalty). Referee signals advantage, the player scores a point.

Referee than decides to disallow the point and award the penalty. Can he do this?
    What if the player missed the penalty?

I don't know the rule and he may be perfectly right but it just seemed very strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

He may have changed his mind as to the severity of the foul.

He may have decided that the outcome of the advantage, a point, was not advantageous enough, due to the severity of the foul.

There may have been a second foul that you did not see.

What card(s) were shown?

Was the penalty scored?

From gaa ref book
    If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a
    free kick/puck will be awarded for the “second” foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Oldtree wrote: »
    He may have changed his mind as to the severity of the foul.

He may have decided that the outcome of the advantage, a point, was not advantageous enough, due to the severity of the foul.

There may have been a second foul that you did not see.

What card(s) were shown?

Was the penalty scored?

From gaa ref book

No there was no secondary foul.
    No cards issued.
    Penalty was scored.

Did the manager ask him why? I would have asked, as most refs I've encountered are happy to explain any decision they make.

Maby he expected a goal from the advantage.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Oldtree wrote: »

From gaa ref book

Ladies football have their own rulebook, and advantage has only come in very recently.

Fairly grey area - but if no advantage accrues, referee can call it back for the free/penalty. It can be argued both ways within the LGFA rulebook to be honest, exactly how they like it! On one side, they could say yes, she got an advantage and got a reward from that advantage so shouldn't have awarded the penalty, on the other hand, you could argue that the player was denied a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity so a point is technically not the advantage she should get. It would be a rare enough thing to happen tbh. I could give this to two of the people who wrote the LGFA rulebook and get two different answers!

I probably would have left the point stand, and not gone back for the penalty, or awarded the penalty with no advantage - other referees may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Ladies football have their own rulebook, and advantage has only come in very recently.

Fairly grey area - but if no advantage accrues, referee can call it back for the free/penalty. It can be argued both ways within the LGFA rulebook to be honest, exactly how they like it! On one side, they could say yes, she got an advantage and got a reward from that advantage so shouldn't have awarded the penalty, on the other hand, you could argue that the player was denied a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity so a point is technically not the advantage she should get. It would be a rare enough thing to happen tbh. I could give this to two of the people who wrote the LGFA rulebook and get two different answers!

I probably would have left the point stand, and not gone back for the penalty, or awarded the penalty with no advantage - other referees may be different.

Thanks for that. I wonder what would have happened if she missed the penalty though. Anyway thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

Yes, being familiar with both codes it is surprising to see such a vast difference in the advantage rule between the 2 codes. :p
    4.36 When a foul is committed, the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage by raising an arm upright and shall allow the advantage to run by maintaining his arm in the upright position for up to five seconds after the foul or for less time if it becomes clear that no advantage has accrued. If he deems no advantage to have accrued, he may subsequently award a free for the foul from where it occurred.
    476. If a foul occurs, the referee may allow play to continue, if s/he considers this to be to the advantage of the oended team for up to 5 seconds after the foul. Where no advantage accrues the referee may award a free from where the original foul occurred.

Advertisement